Talk

Advanced search

Broken toenail - help!

(9 Posts)
MrsFogi Wed 12-Aug-09 23:36:50

I have no idea how it happened but the toenail on my big to has broken pretty far down. I take it I should leave it on. But the questions are - should I do some sort of fix on it + can I still paint the nail/use nail varnish remover or am I likely to get an infection/will it sting like hell?

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 13-Aug-09 10:18:12

How far across has it broken? If just a small section, I would say leave it alone and paint etc as usual. Make sure you thoroughly clean the area twice a day though to reduce likelihood of infection (treating yourself to a daily warm water foot bath with lavender and/or tea tree essential oils would be good.

If it has broken a fair way across the nail, can you bring yourself to remove it totally? Or would it be too painful? I had similar situation a couple of years ago. Managed to remove the bit which had broken and then had a false nail put on at a salon until the natural one grew beneath.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 13-Aug-09 10:23:35

BTW, nail polish remover should only sting if the skin has been broken too. Otherwise, it should be fine.

MrsFogi Thu 13-Aug-09 11:48:51

TRMJS - it's broken about 5mm up from the root and the break goes about three quarters of the way accross the nail so I'm going to end up with a very exposed (and no doubt sensitive) toe if I have the guts to pull it off.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 13-Aug-09 12:07:43

ouch

Then I would either keep it wrapped with a plaster - not attractive but at least it won't snag. Or go to a salon and see if the pedicurist can help. She may be able to cut it off for you and apply a false nail which will help protect the nail bed until the new one grows through.

themoon66 Thu 13-Aug-09 12:09:50

I had this happen on holiday (bashed my big toe getting out of swimming pool)

I fixed it with superglue! Yes really! Its just growing out normally now.

TheHappyCat Thu 13-Aug-09 12:33:41

This happened to me a few years back. I tried to keep it but it just gradually detatched itself. The bed was not sore underneath (probably as it had healed before it dropped off) and I used to paint varnish on the bed (OK, it was a few years back, bit manky and studenty I know!) Anyway I had no problems and it grew back completely normal.

shigella92 Thu 13-Aug-09 14:08:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jewelsandgems Thu 13-Aug-09 14:13:19

Can I just say Ouch! And yes, superglue should do the trick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now