Talk

Advanced search

please re-vamp my wadrobe for me....

(23 Posts)
Sonnet Thu 26-May-05 11:18:31

Help - I need my work wadrobe re-vamped urgently and just don't know where to start - just all seems too much.#Use to be a clothesaholic till put on weight and now hate going shopping....My clothes have become frumpy!!
I need 3 outfits (work parttime), I am only 5f 1 and need to cover up without drowning IYKWIM

Could anyone suggest soem outfits and point me in the right direction???
Also fancy funky (but cheap) accessories - bracelets, necklaces and handbags
any takers to sort me out???
TIA..

compo Thu 26-May-05 11:21:28

I like Per Una, Next and Designers at Debenhams. You can get some really nice accessories in places like Warehouse, New Look and M&S which aren't too expensive. HTH!!!

Sonnet Thu 26-May-05 12:23:33

bump for the afternoon session

need a mumsnet personal shopper

Sonnet Thu 26-May-05 12:25:15

Compo - they are the shops I favour too - just been out of the habit of shopping for me, feel confused about what to wear , combined with being bigger than I use to be!!
Seen anything nice in per una that you could recommend?

tiddlypom Thu 26-May-05 12:44:02

Sonnet, you can actually get a personal shopper at Debenhams - never done it myself, but I understand you can ring up and make an appointment with one. John Lewis do them, too.

Sonnet Thu 26-May-05 12:45:20

But what if I don't want to buy all my waderobe frm Debenhams - am a bit scared about this!!

cod Thu 26-May-05 12:46:44

Message withdrawn

Lonelymum Thu 26-May-05 12:49:16

I personally wouldn't have the nerve to hire a personal shopper Sonnet, but I expect you could take their advice and then buy stuff that fitted the advice from other shops. Perhaps you should inquire about this as they would be able to see what you looked like and what suited you.

Sonnet Thu 26-May-05 12:50:31

ooo thanks Cod:
Job in Marketing - I favour smart casual and TRENDY for this season.
Have £250 and would like to purchase 3 outfits plus accessories
Any ideas??
am 5ft 1 and l ike to cover fat white leags and fat white upper arms!!
Over to you....

Sonnet Thu 26-May-05 12:51:13

I'm with you LM - too scared...

tiddlypom Thu 26-May-05 12:54:43

Oooh, now I'm waiting to see what Cod says...

lisalisa Thu 26-May-05 12:59:42

Message withdrawn

Sonnet Thu 26-May-05 14:40:30

Thanks lisalisa....quite fancy long linnen skirts for work with little tops and cardi,s.

Have gone out and got some style mags to peruse tonight!

Sonnet Thu 26-May-05 14:42:35

Lisalisa - was perusing the style archives and came accross the term Boho and DIDN@T KNOW WHAT IT MEANT

moondog Thu 26-May-05 14:43:50

Personal shoppers don't charge usually,if they're affiliated to a particular store.

Not a lot of people know that.

lisalisa Thu 26-May-05 14:45:25

Message withdrawn

Sonnet Thu 26-May-05 14:55:14

Thnaks Moondog - but just feel "under pressure" and I bit scared - I'll aim to graduate to that when Autumn arrives and my work wadrobe needs another re-vamp!

Lisilisa I have been recommeded Monsoon on another thread too - a visit is in order me thinks

cod Thu 26-May-05 16:19:24

Message withdrawn

motherinferior Thu 26-May-05 16:20:28

'different bits underneath' makes it sound as if she's going for a sex change op!

cod Thu 26-May-05 16:21:02

Message withdrawn

crunchie Thu 26-May-05 17:03:29

Sonnet, here is my advice (and bear in mind it was me who said Monsoon )

Firstly think of colours, because you want a base colour which you can add to. Mine is brown this year, so I make sure everything I buy is brown, or goes with brown (inc turquoise and hot pink they do go with brown!) You might want black to be on teh safe side, but black and strong colours are never as funky as other combiinations (hence brown for me, it also goes with black)

What you need is a good skirt. Don't go for the gypsy look for work, you are too short (!) and it is not a smart enough look. Look for a circle skirt that cuts off on the calf. Basically a nice print could be fun and funky (I got a great one from Monsoon and I don't usually shop there) also look in other places like Wallis - they have a great Black and White one at the mo (also petite sizes so a good length)

Secondly a nice pair of trs. There is a lot of Linen mixes out there - linen mix doesn't crease like linen (I don't iron EVER) and looks fresh. I have a fab pair form Tesco £18 (20% off atm) which are brown

Thirdly look at the new crop trs - but only if you are comfortable at work in heels (wedges are great) as you need heels to make them work. Next have some nice ones, again petite lengths for your height. Go as wide as you can as they look better.

So 3 bottoms, which all have one base colour - skirt can be pattered.

Add loads of twinsets (see other thread) fitted T-shirts and at least one nice wrap cardi. And a pretty chiffon Kaftan top - see through is fine with a vest underneath.

Shoes - wedeges will go with ALL of the above looks, as will jewelled flat pumps - New Look £20.

A funky low slung belt will work if you also get a couple of longer t-shirts/Kaftans. Too chunky on't work, don't go wider than a couple of inches (again New Look). Funky bags look at Accessorise (expensive) or places like Peacocks, Primark, New Look (sometimes)

I reckon that gives you 3 outfits, with a million combos and should easily be less than £250.

PS I don't charge much for advice, I am just telling you what I have bought recently. But I wear casual jeans to the office, smart casual for meetings. I can wear boho to work too, but that is because I work in media

crunchie Thu 26-May-05 17:04:32

Sorry for the epic

cod Thu 26-May-05 17:05:53

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now