Talk

Advanced search

please help me get my wedding make-up right

(9 Posts)
ChasingButterflies Mon 10-Aug-09 14:18:24

I'm getting married on Saturday. It's a pretty informal do, but I'd like to look halfway decent. I am getting my hair done in the morning but will need to do my make-up myself. I don't usually wear much - Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser and some mascara and that's it.
I'm fairskinned (redhead), though with rosy cheeks, helpfully, and freckles, so too much foundation can make me look a bit weird and airbrushed. Hazel/brown eyes, skin's in pretty good nick. Am in my early 30s and I'd say what I'm looking for is something fairly natural and "fresh" looking, but that will make me look groomed enough to last the day and look presentable/non-shiny in the photos.
As I'm not used to "proper" make-up, all advice on what to wear and how to put it on would be much appreciated!
Oh, the other thing is, I live in London so could try to get to somewhere this week for a training session and/or to stock up on some decent cosmetics. Any favourites?
Thanks

ladymoo Mon 10-Aug-09 14:23:05

Hiya - congratulations! how exciting - I went to Space NK & a fabby lady there did it, is free & I ended up buying about 3/4 of what she used. So lovely as it all lasted for ages afterwards & you can think aw this it my wedding foundation/mascara etc etc. i went to the shop in Knightsbridge - had to make an appt but I'm sure you could get one this week. Good luck!! x

Modestlyglazed Mon 10-Aug-09 14:28:21

Congrats! I left my makeup till last minute and was in a similar predicament several years ago. I rocked up to Harrods and explained the situation at my favourite makeup counter (which happened to be Clinique at the time) and let them work their magic, showing me how to apply it... I waited about 20 minutes before they available. They were brilliant. I brought a friend along for moral support also and had a lovely day out. It worked out reasonable and enjoyed looking great for months to come...

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 10-Aug-09 14:28:34

A decent primer is definitely worth a go. I got the Smashbox one for my wedding day. It goes on under foundation/tinted moisturiser and stops it sinking in and makes it look less heavy. It really helped my make up last whilst still looking quite natural

CybilLiberty Mon 10-Aug-09 14:33:20

Yes a decent primer and although you say you have rosy cheeks, don't forget blusher, it really brings your face alive. Make sure your eyebrows look defined so they don't disappear in photos. Keep a lip gloss in your bag, or have a helpful person keep it for you.

I think Prescriptives Magic Potion dotted on cheekbones and browbones after finishing your make up makes your face look fresh.

ChasingButterflies Mon 10-Aug-09 19:07:26

Thanks all - there's a Space NK near me, so I think I'll give them a call. I have to confess I'm not quite sure what a primer is! blush But I'll ask. Does anyone know if Space NK stocks Prescriptives? I know they do quite a few ranges...

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 10-Aug-09 20:00:50

Don't worry - I had no idea what primer was either until I went for wedding make up trial smile I was impressed though and wear it any time I wear foundation now (not very often tbh !). I think there is a close up pic of my face on wedding day on my profile

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 10-Aug-09 20:02:55

Sorry - meant to say congratulations btw blush Hope you have a great day smile

ChasingButterflies Mon 10-Aug-09 20:58:06

Thanks Tillyscoutsmum - and your wedding pics are lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now