Talk

Advanced search

Challenge of the week: An outfit for SIL wedding

(22 Posts)
MrsGokWantsalargeglassofwine Mon 10-Aug-09 13:24:36

Right then ladies get your style thinking caps on and see if you can help me find something for SIL's wedding which is on the 12th September.

I'm 4ft 11in, so very short. I'm a size 16 but apple shape. I haven't lost my baby weight and I look 3/4 months pregnant [roll eyes emoticon]

My naturel style is Boho/hippy with some 50's stuff as well. My favorite colour is purple.

I think things that come out from under the bust and skim over my tummy would be best but am open to ideas.

Have tried 2 dresses on in town today, both large, which is meant to be 16, but I found them too tight across the bust. But one dress was absolutely gorgeous sort of flowed with lots of chiffony layers down to my calfs and was in a lovely purple just to bloomin' tight across my bust.

I have also seen some absolutly, fantastic killer heels in New Look, I'll try and find a link.

So ladies your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to find a dress or top and skirt and accesories in my style but that will be fine for a wedding for £60 max.

MrsGokWantsalargeglassofwine Mon 10-Aug-09 13:39:33

love these

liked these to but wasn't sure about the bow

AvengingGerbil Mon 10-Aug-09 13:48:25

this or
this ?

They do a lot of different, basically hippyish styles, but beware that the non-mini styles come in very long - floor length on me and I'm 5'6...

If they're your kind of thing, they're very forgiving to wear and comfy - and cheap!

AvengingGerbil Mon 10-Aug-09 13:49:24

(you need to change the colour in the links -for some reason it won't link to purple...)

UndomesticHousewife Mon 10-Aug-09 13:51:33

The second pair are much better the bow is fab adn if you can walk in them go for it!!
The first pair look like work shoes, nothing special esp for a wedding.

JackieNo Mon 10-Aug-09 13:56:56

NOt flowery, but how about this? Where is the wedding (and when?) - for example, a cold church in November will need something warmer than that dress grin.

JackieNo Mon 10-Aug-09 14:07:18

D'oh - you said 12th September, sorry!

How short are you happy to go? Would this be too short?

JackieNo Mon 10-Aug-09 14:12:16

Or this?

MrsGokWantsalargeglassofwine Mon 10-Aug-09 14:31:27

AvengingGerbil love some of the clothes on that site, but I am wary about ordering from the states, just in case it doesn't quite fit and I have to send it back. But have added it to my favourites to buy some things for later

JackieNo that Wallis dress in your first link is stunning, will be ordering that I think unless someone can top it.

The wedding is in our church which is small and has heating if needed and the reception is at a VERY posh country house.

OK ladies, lets say I do go for that greek style Wallis dress what would I need to keep out the chill in the evening.

MrsGokWantsalargeglassofwine Mon 10-Aug-09 14:32:28

Also do you think the shoes in the second link will go with it?

UndomesticHousewife Mon 10-Aug-09 14:42:07

The Wallis dress is beautiful, and I think the shoes will go with it very well. It's not the same purple but you don't really want exactly the same shade (well I wouldn't, it would look too much) but they are still purple just a different tone which should go nicely.
But get the dress then look for shoes to go with it.

I would think a bolero/shrug style very short cardi would go better with this dress than something longer (but then again I'm no fashionista so if someone knows better please feel free to correct me!!).

UndomesticHousewife Mon 10-Aug-09 14:43:57

Love the DP dress, though I'd have to wear it as a top - my legs are not gazelle like.

UndomesticHousewife Mon 10-Aug-09 14:46:01

A pashmina/stole type thing would be nice too.

MrsGokWantsalargeglassofwine Mon 10-Aug-09 14:53:07

Thanks UndomesticatedHousewife, sorry meant to thank you earlier for your comments on the shoes. You are right about the shades of purple thing.

Short cardi, shrug or pashmina sound good too. Just got to find one now.

JackieNo Mon 10-Aug-09 17:07:03

Sequin shrug in silver - or are you more a gold person?
Bit of a bargain, but not sure how silvery it is in rl.
Again, could be more grey than silver.

JackieNo Mon 10-Aug-09 17:12:02

Ooh look - dark purple, but might not be the right purple for the dress.
Cute, but a bit daytimey, maybe (purple option).

UndomesticHousewife Mon 10-Aug-09 20:56:26

LOve that Next sequin bolero and also that glittery dark purple one. I think either would look great.
Just not black and don't go for lilac!

KristinaM Mon 10-Aug-09 21:17:16

this is probably a stupid question - but wont a short bright shrug emphasise her width at shoudler/boob level? if she's an apple she is relatively wide at this point

woulndt it be better to have soemthing more fitted and slimming?

but not sure what with the dress. it is lovely

MrsGokWantsalargeglassofwine Tue 11-Aug-09 10:05:11

Thanks JackieNo, definatly a silver girl (well platinum if I could afford it grin )

Not sure if the sequins are me though, would they be a bit much at the actual wedding???

Will pop into New Look in town and see if they have that metallic shrug in stock, so I can have a look. If it is not too grey, then that might be a contender. Will also look for that purple one as well, which looks lovely.

Think that Peacocks one does look a bit grey.The HOF one is a bit day timey and I am not keen on those that tie, I have one and it makes me look fat (well fatter than normal!!)

Was also thinking of maybe a pashmina type thing. I have a lovely chinese silk one in teal which have worn out at night a few times. So maybe something similar.

Thanks for your input UDH and Kristina.

MrsGokWantsalargeglassofwine Tue 11-Aug-09 21:44:08

shameless bump!! grin

UndomesticHousewife Tue 11-Aug-09 23:20:37

It won't emphasise it too much as long as it's a dark colour, not black though. But a lighter colour won't look right anyway with the dress.

It should be fitted but it will be trial and error to find the right one that suits the dress and her shape.

Tbh I think the pashmina would be best you can pick one up in whatever colour you choose adn it doesn't have to be purple (the teal sounds lovely) adn it will look v slimming draped over the shoulders.

Though if the wedding is indoors you probbably won't need to wear it much. Much more important to get the right shoes grin

MrsGokWantsalargeglassofwine Wed 12-Aug-09 00:53:43

Cheer's UDH. Will get the Wallis dress me thinks, then see if the teal looks good with it, if it does then will get a bag to match, then will look at those killer heels grin and see if they go with it, if not will have to think again.

You may see me on here in a couple of weeks desperate to find a pashmina/wrap style thing and shoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now