Talk

Advanced search

greasy hair- help please

(13 Posts)
shootfromthehip Sun 09-Aug-09 13:45:55

I have had really greasy hair since being a teenager. Usually I can wash it every other day (have tried doing it less frequently but it stinks and looks terrible) and have used every dry shampoo known to man.

What shampoos do you use if you too have greasy hair? I was on tablets for acne for a while and they really helped but now I am off them again and it's worse than ever.

Anyone else have this problem?

DLI Sun 09-Aug-09 18:59:13

i have to wash my hair every day!

bodiddly Sun 09-Aug-09 19:08:19

me too DLI. I wash mine each night and it is fine for the next day but cannot get through 2 nights. Bizarrely though if I wash it in the morning I can get through 2 days and 1 night. It is obviously night time when my hair gets bad which is weird!

DLI Sun 09-Aug-09 19:15:48

i go to bed and my hair is not too bad, i get up in the morning and it is disgusting. my hairdresser told me to buy supermarket own brand shampoo because it doesnt have as much added to it to clog my hair. i am going to try this and see if it works!

onepieceoflollipop Sun 09-Aug-09 19:19:48

Do you have naturally greasy skin too? (I do). It's not so much my hair that is greasy, it't the fringe and the bits round my fact iykwim. I sometimes think it is more sweat than grease. When I was pg my skin dried up (in a good way) as did my hair, but within 6 months of each birth back to the greasiness.

I just wash it every day tbh. It only takes 5 extra minutes to wash and condition it. (bizzarrely it seems worse if I don't put conditioner on it) I then let it dry naturally until almost dry then finish it off with the dryer (5 minutes). That 10 mins effort is worth it, as otherwise I just feel a bit grubby all day long.

Apparently people with naturally greasy skin tend to have less wrinkles, that's what dh says anyway (he also has oily/greasy skin and hair)

onepieceoflollipop Sun 09-Aug-09 19:21:00

p.s. I tend to use Charles Worthington shampoo and conditioner, either the yellow or the blue. In my case using a product for greasy hair just dries the ends up and makes them frizzy. It doesn't give me the option to leave my hair another day.

missmelly Sun 09-Aug-09 19:38:55

I found this to be great on my greasy hair, its a little more pricey than supermarket stuff but it really lasts for months as you only need a small amount. I cut down to washing my hair every other day with it. Ive just bought their other shampoo from the aloe vera range but havent tried it yet

onepieceoflollipop Sun 09-Aug-09 19:40:48

missmelly do you use a separate conditioner with that? Is your hair long or short (mine is mid length so looks a bit rough if I don't use a separate conditioner)

shootfromthehip Sun 09-Aug-09 20:10:47

My hair is really long and thick and washing and drying and straighening <<vain emoticon>> can take up to 45 mins.

I have had it shorter but it doesn't suit me.

This sounds ridiculous but DD starts school in Aug and I would love to be able to wash my hair the night before to save time in the morning.

I've tried everything and my dermatologist thinks it is hormonal (I have really bad skin too- bum) and I have a Mirena coil which seems to be making things worse. During pregnancy I too dried up but am now a big greasy minger. I need to do something and have literally tried every shampoo known to man, from expensive salon stuff to organic handmade stuff.

It's all very shallow but it's getting me down.

Thanks for the suggestions- hopefully I'll just age really well and not be stuck with the grease forever.

DLI Sun 09-Aug-09 20:15:20

i had a fringe cut (previously didnt have one) and if i am just dropping ds off at school or nipping to the shops and not out all day i just wash my fringe, dry it and tie my hair up. with a clean fringe it gives the illusion i have washed all my hair. it takes literally 2 mins to do!!!!

missmelly Sun 09-Aug-09 20:59:02

yes I use the matching condtioner on the ends, my hair is long, but fine. The shampoo leaves my hair feeling light and bouncy, and it doesnt seem to build up like others do. I've currently been using Aussie brand shampoo and it's now not leaving my hair so fresh and it's greasy again within a day. I've never found the dry shampoos work on my hair, I've tried Batiste and Toni and Guy ones but my hair still looks limp after using them.

if you are tempted to try it, go to the Outlet part of the Crabtree website, and you can get much larger 500ml bottles for only a couple of ££ more

Mumsnut Mon 10-Aug-09 09:47:48

Ditto the Mirena coil, drat it.

missmelly Mon 10-Aug-09 13:03:16

if you wanted to test the crabtree shampoo this ebay travel sized would cost less than a £

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now