Talk

Advanced search

Nothing to wear! Cheap maternity clothes?

(16 Posts)
2to3 Fri 07-Aug-09 09:51:35

I am at that boring stage of pregnancy where nothing fits but I have no bump. My old maternity clothes are falling off me and I need something to wear until I get fat enough to fit into them again. I've heard ASDA do maternity clothes - are they any good?

Don't want to spend a fortune - just enough to tie me over. Shopping ideas most welcome, including for any amazing sales I might have missed. Thanks ladies!

MrsBadger Fri 07-Aug-09 09:54:53

Next to Nothing clearance shops are always worth a look as their matwear is only sold through the catalogue so rarely makes it into 'normal' Next shop sales.

DP, Peacocks, New Look and Topshop all do matwear and have sales at the moment - websites worth checking too, esp if you don;t mind that it's summery stuff

or try Primark etc for non-mat tunic tops and bargain basics like drawstring jogging bottoms for slobbing round the house in

LoveBeingAMummy Fri 07-Aug-09 09:57:22

I found New Look fab when I was pg as the always seemed to have some stuff reduced, even found a fab black dress for a black tie do in there for a tenner.

Another vote for Next clearance, and next and Dp for soemthing a bit more special and more nromal prices.

SecretSlattern Fri 07-Aug-09 09:58:18

I loved peacocks maternity stuff when I was pg with DS. They didn't have much of a range then though (was only last year) and now there seems to be some really nice stuff. It's quite good too. Just beware of the jeans because some of them come with buttons on to attempt to stop the falling down, but some don't and these jeans are awful.

Umlellala Fri 07-Aug-09 09:59:28

Get these trousers from Next. Comfy but not all slobby. wore them til the bitter end with both pregnancies and though I am very not pregnant at the moment, am still wearing them blush

Also get a couple of long maternity vests as then you can wear them under normal tops as they ride up...

Hollyoaks Fri 07-Aug-09 09:59:49

I found New Look really reasonably priced and comfortable. I got a pair of black work pants and combat pants for £12 full price each.

stripes200 Fri 07-Aug-09 10:00:02

Ebay. Tonnes of maternity wear on there at a fraction of the price you'll pay in the shops and seeing as we all only wear it for about a year it's still in good condition.

mrsjammi Fri 07-Aug-09 10:05:11

Message withdrawn

LoveBeingAMummy Fri 07-Aug-09 11:05:11

Forgot about red herring, got a great mat coat in the sale from there

IWishIWasAFrog Fri 07-Aug-09 14:30:41

I am 33 weeks.

Only bought 2 maternity tops, both from Blooming Marvellous, terrible quality.

Have not bought any other mat clothes. Try Moonsoon Sale for tops, something with an empire (seam under boobs) line, works perfectly, also M&S t-shirty type tops, there is an Autograph one with loads of pleats around the neckline, perfect, < £15 IIRC. Bought trousers from BHS for about £15 a pair, they market/label it as 'leggings', denim, cream and black, but it's not really, elasticated in back, band in front, pull up, boot leg, does not look like leggings at all. Also M&S for trousers with elasticated tops, strechy fabric, wear it to work almost daily!

Enjoy!

jollyjoanne Fri 07-Aug-09 14:41:34

I had maternity stuff from Peacocks, Next and dotty P, but also non-maternity trousers from Matalan with stretchy tops and tops from asda with the empire line fit that were bigger than I'd normally wear and due to the low prices you tend not to care if they get stretched near the end of your pregnancy. Or dirty, if like me at about 37weeks you decide to repaint all the doors in your house!

trixymalixy Fri 07-Aug-09 14:47:18

I have some really nice black stretchy over the bump mat trousers from peacocks that were only £10.

H&M always have good reductions in the sale on maternity wear. I got some jeans and work trousers for £5 each.

trixymalixy Fri 07-Aug-09 14:48:37

Oh and i got some nice longline vest tops from tescos for £5 each that i can wear after the birth as well.

Pannacotta Fri 07-Aug-09 14:49:09

EBay or post a wanted ad here on MN.
As someone else said, mat clothes are only worn for a few months so are usually in good condition if bought used.
H&M also worth a look.

2to3 Fri 07-Aug-09 17:54:49

Things were getting desperate so I knocked myself out at New Look today and got some really nice things for not very much. Shall keep your other tips firmly in mind along the way - thanks very much all!

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Fri 07-Aug-09 17:59:09

get one of those belly/bump bands. They are about £6 on ebay.

You can wear your normal trousers and skirts with the zips undone, because the band covers you up.

Or you can use them with maternity clothes that are too big as the band holds it all up.

I've found them really useful smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now