Talk

Advanced search

Interent sites with nice day/work dresses similar to Boden?

(21 Posts)
WesternBelle Wed 05-Aug-09 16:24:02

Following the very helpful responses from my request for recommendations for posh baby wear, I am on the hunt again - can anyone recommend nice women's wear sites?

I am specifically interested in day dresses which I can wear to work (smart casual, ugh) such as this sort of thing here ie a nice pleasant demure looking "skimming but not clingy" dress (no jersey) but have exhausted Boden, M&S, Debenhams etc.

Can anyone think of anywhere different for me to try that have dresses similar to this.

Many thanks in advance!!

Bettymum Wed 05-Aug-09 16:38:25

We have a Mistral locally, they do some pretty things.

Clure Wed 05-Aug-09 16:53:40

white company
koodos
A/wear
anthropologie

WesternBelle Wed 05-Aug-09 17:30:02

They're great, thanks!

Any more out there? I think the actual style of dress I'm after is a "tea dress".

Anyone know of any nice tea dresses? smile

Pollyanna Wed 05-Aug-09 17:33:00

have you looked in Kew. There is an online store too - they have floral type dresses

or Great Plains maybe.

I find it really difficult to do the smart casual work look - it was much easier when I had to wear suits.

Jemli Wed 05-Aug-09 17:37:15

www.brora.co.uk is fabulous, especially when they have there sales on (up to 70% off). They have lovely tea dresses. I have just got one to wear for my son's christening

dorothygale Wed 05-Aug-09 17:51:14

You could try lkbennett

Jewelsandgems Wed 05-Aug-09 21:58:52

I was going to say Toast, but there doesn;t seem to be that many dresses on there right now....

Jewelsandgems Thu 06-Aug-09 07:50:45

French connection usually has loads of gorgeous dresses

Countingthegreyhairs Thu 06-Aug-09 08:30:36

I second LK Bennett

And have a look at Phase Eight too:

www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/categorylist/garment/dresses?resetFilters=true

The next one is jersey I'm afraid but has been recommended several times on here (probably not what you are after but website has a few good things from time to time if chosen carefully):

www.artigiano.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=AJDS050&cid=ASAD&site=0&language=en-GB

fishie Thu 06-Aug-09 08:33:09

aviary i haven't bought from there myself, it was recommended by a mner sorry i have forgotten who.

the sticky fingers label they stock there is also in house of fraser, they often have stuff like that.

wingandprayer Thu 06-Aug-09 08:35:50

I have just bought a fab day dress from The Pyjama Room. It is jersey (sorry) scoop necked, gathered at the waist and with a belt you can wear in variety of ways. It is unbelievably flattering, smart but comfortable. Mine is black but think they do them in a few colours. Sunday times did promotion with them - put in code style09 for 10% discount I think.

Bettymum Thu 06-Aug-09 09:23:26

I have a beautiful tea dress from Cath Kidston. Sometimes they're lovely, sometimes the patterns are a bit hmm it just depends!

PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Thu 06-Aug-09 10:32:40

lovely crepe dresses here:

www.anusha.co.uk

aarghhelp Thu 06-Aug-09 11:29:10

I had a look at the Brora site. I was a bit apprehensive re sizing - size 18, for exampe, is 43-45 bust, 36 waist, 40.5 hip. There may be some women shaped like that, but I suspect most aren't!

I did however get lots of goodies for a bargain £70 from the sale!

Jewelsandgems Thu 06-Aug-09 20:08:55

I know this is boden, but I have just received this dress:

www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Sale/Womens-Dresses/WH148/Womens-Double-Layer-Jersey-Dress.html?Add=1525970&Ti er2=PNK

And it is really nice. I am usually a 10 and the 8 is even a little bit big. The fabric is 'jersey' but, trust me there is no cling going on at all, very 'skimming' and really well made (colours mean can be worn in autumn too). A bargain at £39. I am going to order the one on green too.

OllieWollieWoo Thu 06-Aug-09 21:20:23

Not sure if this is what you are after but just been looking at the H&M site online - in Dutch cos I live in Holland - but its got a few tea style dresses on there for the Autumn collection (they do home delivery over here) - try this link
[[http://shop.hm.com/nl/shoppingwindow?dept=DAMKLAKJSE&shoptype=S here
Scroll thro pages using arrow buttons:

OllieWollieWoo Thu 06-Aug-09 21:20:23

Not sure if this is what you are after but just been looking at the H&M site online - in Dutch cos I live in Holland - but its got a few tea style dresses on there for the Autumn collection (they do home delivery over here) - try this link
[[http://shop.hm.com/nl/shoppingwindow?dept=DAMKLAKJSE&shoptype=S here
Scroll thro pages using arrow buttons:

noddyholder Thu 06-Aug-09 21:52:06

www.anusha.co.uk/bigpicture.cfm?id=2138

WesternBelle Thu 06-Aug-09 23:11:19

Oh they are all delightful!

I have avoided jersey like the plague due to saddlebags, however today I received a M&S dress in jersey which I had mistakenly ordered thinking it was crepe.

Anyway I tried it on and actually, it was Not Too Bad! Not nearly as bad as I thought jersey would look! (although still feels abit revealing, silhouette-wise IYKWIM.)

I think the trick is probably getting heavyweight jersey that hangs, also a busy pattern helps disguise the lumps and bumps more than a plain colour, maybe.

Sadly I do have to stick to dresses. Pre-pg I wore trouser suits and was an 8-10 top and a 10-12 bottom, but now I am a 12-14 top and a 14 bottom so not only do my old cloes' not fit, trousers look like two puppies fighting it out over two logs on my bottom half!!

Dresses with black tights are so much more forgiving. Thank God I had the good sensewink to get pg in the summer, so spent large bit of pg in winter (meaning lots of flattering black) and I can return to work in autumn, (meaning lots of flattering black) grin

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

WesternBelle Thu 06-Aug-09 23:26:03

jewelsandgems - thanks so much, I looked at the Boden link and although I am not brave enough for the jersey dress though it looks fab, I did find this one which is crepe and looks perfect. Plus it's in the sale! yay!

Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now