Talk

Advanced search

Fat people can be stylish too. . . well I can if you tell me where to shop!

(21 Posts)
dizzymama Tue 24-May-05 17:28:39

Ok, I admit it, I'm chunkier than average (a good size 18) all these lovely clothes seem to only go up to a 14 (asos I'm talking about you you darned catalogue of dreams !!!) Where can I - preferably internet- shop to get fashionable clothes that don't cost the earth in my size? Help me!

alexsmum Tue 24-May-05 17:32:52

don't know love but if you find out tell me 'cos i need some new stuff too!

i've actually seen some nice stuff in m&s at the mo but i guess thats more evryday...how stylish is stylish?? designer stuff or what?

bundle Tue 24-May-05 17:35:45

Popeau and Hall is based just around the corner from me but it's not exactly everyday stuff, more for occasions.

almostanangel Tue 24-May-05 17:36:58

just say NO to the check trousers

cadbury Tue 24-May-05 17:37:06

Hiya, I'm a fair bit bigger than you, but I use simply be and evans

Most shops do up to a size 20 these days though so you should be able to get stuff from where you used to get it.

dizzymama Tue 24-May-05 17:37:10

Oh god no! I wouldn't dare wear something that cost a month's salary!! I just mean nice tops, sparkly going out wear stuff but usually only put on with jeans or black trousers - I'm not incredibly inventive!!

bundle Tue 24-May-05 17:39:06

oh gawd hadn't seen those

the denim skirt is quite nice..<<slinks off>>

dizzymama Tue 24-May-05 17:39:55

Great link bundle - liking the tunic and trousers thingy.
Hi cadders, simply be! That's the name of the catalogue I was trying to remember ta
aaa - OMG! Check trousers no no no no no, I would look like a chess board - a fat chess board!!

bundle Tue 24-May-05 17:41:28

h&m have nice stuff too

NotQuiteCockney Tue 24-May-05 17:45:39

Some Monsoon go up to 22, I think, certainly an 18. Dorothy Perkins do 18, too, I think.

Smurfgirl Tue 24-May-05 18:51:41

Dorothy Perkins does clothes up to size 22 and IME they are generous with their sizing

M&S does bigger sizes and some of their clothes are surprisingly nice

Next do lovely clothes up to a size 20

River Island Online does clothes up to size 18

Debenhams does fab dressy clothes in their designers at Debenhams sections

almostanangel Tue 24-May-05 19:16:44

best thing is to find your own style evans should be shot!! i for one do not want short vest tops or jeans with nice belts as i am not going out with my belt on show as that would mean having my belly uncovered no thank you..i am a hippy at heart so i love the flowery clothes that are about ,i have been big since 8 years and it was a lot harder to get clothes then ,w=one thing i would say i have learnt is dont wear black black and black they say its slimming ,i say its boring ,,my fav at mo is tight jeans as i have nice legs and firm calf and thighs, then a dredded vest top but tight then a flowy thin top over the top ,,loadsa people mention how nice that looks.so think what you like instead of what is everybody else wearing or what fits. ooh search on ebay too there are some great clothes on there,

dizzymama Wed 25-May-05 15:23:38

Must admit I'm a little addicted to ebay at the moment! Agree with your style aaa, I tend to do a lot of tunics and trousers myself. Have got A Beautiful kaftan style top from ebay.
Thanks for all the links smurf, am going to look at them now.

dabihp Wed 25-May-05 16:24:13

Does it have to be online? cos New Look are nice and cheap

dizzymama Wed 25-May-05 21:56:54

not necessarily on line but young baby makes clothes shopping a little tricky. Did get a rather flattering top from New Look last month, may go and take another look if I can persuade Dh to take dd for the morning!

Janh Wed 25-May-05 22:00:15

Tesco go up to a 20 and some of theirs is lovely. Matalan go up to 22. (I'm 18-20 for tops and 16-18 for bottoms, also v tall and Tesco's longs are long enough too!)

Janh Wed 25-May-05 22:00:59

Tesco & Matalan both have lovely kaftan-type tops atm, Tesco's are £10.

dizzymama Wed 25-May-05 22:04:11

£10?!!!! Do you think I could go to Tesco now in my PJ's wihtout anyone noticing? Excellent tip, thanks

Mothernature Wed 25-May-05 22:05:15

redoute
fashion world

dizzymama Wed 25-May-05 22:07:34

I will be a fashinable fatty, I will, I will, I will!!!! These links are great ladies, thank you so much!

champs Sat 28-May-05 19:18:58

tesco do a plus size range sizes 16-26, very nice and fashionable too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now