Talk

Advanced search

New job - need new clothes! Help!

(5 Posts)
Blissful Tue 04-Aug-09 15:30:08

I am starting a new job in September and I am desperate for wardrobe advice. My old job was school based and the new job is a bit more 'corporate'. Eek! I have spent the last few years in casual stuff but now need to smarten up. I have 2 suits (black and grey), basic but boring, and just purchased 2 merino cardigans from Boden sale in red and purple. Have a number of lightweight jumpers, but not much else. What items should I purchase now? It will still be fairly warm in September, but most of my lighter stuff is too casual. And shoes - most of mine are flat and I feel that heels are more appropriate now.
All advice on creating an emergency capsule wardrobe which won't have me sweating buckets greatly appreciated!

bebesequin Tue 04-Aug-09 20:06:26

Not sure how formal you have to be -I stick to two suits one grey wool and one black-underneath long or short sleeved scoop neck t shirts with lycra for good shape in a variety of colours, with a little cardigan in winter the Boden ones sound lovely. The pelle seconde tops Next do are ideal as they have lots of lycra usually go for black white and maybe a deep red or purple one.Some feature jewellery bits to brighten up or some skinny scarves-try Monsoon- good decent sized statement bag to add a bit of your own style to the corporate look.

I tend to avoid shirts some of my colleagues go for shirts under their suits but too much ironing for me the t shirt type tops are easier to layer-

As for footwear I still do pumps just got some black patent ones from Monsoon and some nice ones from fly-Keeping a corporate wardrobe means I have more clothes to wear at the week end and can spend my cash on things I really like-

bebesequin Tue 04-Aug-09 20:08:10

Er tht will be seconde pelle tops i mean smile

Blissful Wed 05-Aug-09 12:19:17

Thanks, Bebesequin!

Haven't looked at shoes by Fly, but will have a browse online. I am not quite sure how formal I need to be yet, either, just know that I need to be smarter!

janeite Wed 05-Aug-09 13:13:15

It looks like fitted jackets will be all the rage this Autumn, so wait a few weeks and they may well start coming in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now