Talk

Advanced search

Does armpit waxing hurt as much as bikini?!

(19 Posts)
beaniebaby25 Sun 02-Aug-09 18:18:43

I am planning to have my bikini line waxed next week and am thinking of doing my armpits too but my friend told me that the armpits is the most painful area? Is she right?

I tried to eplilate my armpits once and they bled, I think I've got really coarse hair. I had my bikini line done once about 5 years ago, just before I was due on and it really hurt, so much so that I haven't gone back since then. I think the therapist didn't do a good job either, I had quite bad bruising.

I've now got a recommendation for a good therapist - should i go for the armpits as well?

They also always look like they need shaving, even right after I've just done them. Even with a brand new razor I can never get them completly smooth, again, why I'm plumping for waxing. If I wax them often will it make a difference? Does anyone know? blush

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 02-Aug-09 18:19:46

I have mine waxed and I think it probably does hurt a bit more - but it's such a small area that it's over and done with really quickly.

The results are so much better than shaving it's definitely worth it.

beaniebaby25 Sun 02-Aug-09 18:23:22

ooh really BIWI? Brilliant, i'm sold, I definitely need a better result than shaving on the armpits. Do you think if I keep getting them done it will thin the hairs etc? thanks

sayanything Sun 02-Aug-09 18:29:56

I second BIWI - it's a huge improvement to shaving. And the hair does get thinner and sparcer (is that a word?). It did hurt a lot to begin with (though I still think bikini waxing is much worse), but now I tend to use my epilady on my armpits and I don't even wince.

RubyBlueberry Sun 02-Aug-09 18:31:00

It will hurt, but it's worth it, they take a good while longer (2wks?) to grow back and they grow back softer.

diedandgonetodevon Sun 02-Aug-09 18:32:36

It will hurt like fuck a bit but it is worth it.

mummypig Sun 02-Aug-09 18:35:10

I think it hurts much more. I am used to having my legs and bikini line waxed regularly but have only had my armpits waxed once and it brought tears to my eyes.

A beauty therapist also once admitted to me that someone she trained with had avoided having armpit waxes the whole time they were doing the training.

And it's not as if shaving your armpits takes a long time to do - just a few seconds in the shower and they are done.

Hormonesnomore Sun 02-Aug-09 18:40:02

I epilate mine - as long as your skin is really dry - wash, then dust with a little talc - and you pull the skin tight, it shouldn't hurt (too much). The more you do it, the less painful it gets. And it lasts much longer than shaving.

beaniebaby25 Sun 02-Aug-09 18:58:18

thanks everyone. i think i will definitely try it, I'm encouraged by those who say the results are better than shaving.

my problem is mummipig that even with shaving they never look shaved - i'm always embarassed to reveal my armpits (not that it happens loads but YKWIM). And that's when I use proper shaving foam, new blades, and hold my skin taught and shave from various directions! it's tedius and i'm always disappointed with the result.

Does anyone have any recommendations for home waxing kits? I once used immac when i was about 16 but never tried wax - are there any cheapish ones that do a good job?

thanks everyone, you've been really helpful smile

beaniebaby25 Sun 02-Aug-09 19:00:28

hormonesnomore - i think i will invest in an epilator, and just grit my teeth until it gets easier. is it really skanky to get one off ebay!? grin

pleasechange Sun 02-Aug-09 19:11:10

IME the armpit is much, much worse. Mine bled on the first strip and I said no more. I don't find bikini waxes too bad

nymphadora Sun 02-Aug-09 19:24:47

I found armpits hurt the least , I have bikini and legs done as well and legs are worst

ExtraFancy Sun 02-Aug-09 19:51:19

I do mine myself with wax strips from Superdrug <hardcore emoticon>

craftynclothy Sun 02-Aug-09 19:58:15

The first beauty therapist that waxed me said either you find the bikini line really hurts and armpits are ok or you find bikini line ok and the armpits really hurt. Now none of it's v pleasant but I find the bikini line less painful than my legs so I've never dared have my armpits done blushgrin

YanknCock Sun 02-Aug-09 20:06:21

Too bad for you beanie, I just sold my barely-used epilator on ebay! Judging by the number of people bidding and the price it went for, there's plenty that agree with the philosophy of 'don't spend a fortune on something you might hate'.

I've been having legs and bikini area waxed for a while, and thought I'd try armpits. I was surprised to find the actual waxing was far less painful (hot wax in salon), but afterwards it was MUCH worse than bikini line. My pits were sore and red for days, and I decided not to do it again. Am like the OP, mine always look like they need shaving due to my dark hair. Tis a shame the waxing didn't work out for me, but maybe it will for you? Worth a go anyway....

beaniebaby25 Sun 02-Aug-09 20:42:58

thanks yank - shame i missed out on the ebay! i am flying on monday night and your comments about the soreness are making me think twice. when i remember how sore my bikini line was last time... perhaps two days before a 12hr flight is a good idea?!

hmm... food for thought... hmm

sayanything Mon 03-Aug-09 10:31:20

I have dark, coarse hair and I find that aloe vera and lots of it helps beanie. Although now I find that I don't need it anymore, as the hair is much thinner.

bleh Mon 03-Aug-09 13:15:17

I would recommend getting a therapist to do it first time, rather than yourself. Also, don't do it if you're about to start your period (as you had with the bikini wax) because you are much more sensitive then, and it will hurt more. Rather wait until just after or mid-cycle.

fishie Mon 03-Aug-09 13:39:56

yes get an epilator, boots had a good offer which might still be on.

i recently replaced my 10yo one and it is a revelation! so much more efficient. do get one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now