Talk

Advanced search

how do you keep your hair in tip top condition? your secrets needed please

(10 Posts)
mothersmilk Sat 01-Aug-09 09:20:17

iv been growing my hair out for about 12 months and doing really well im just over shoulder length and have managed so far to keep it in pretty good condition all things considered, it is coulered but no bleach and i do use haidryers and GHD's its starting now to feel a bit on the dry side i have regular trims and use intensive conditioner once a week but have any of you out there got some magic tip to transform it in to gourgeous glossy locks? -{she looks out with hope}- grin
tia

scottishmummy Sat 01-Aug-09 09:32:27

i use modern organic productsshampoo and conditioner

recommend this intensive conditioner

another conditioner - beat an egg with spoon of honey,use as conditioner for 20min.rinse in cool water otherwise the egg smells cooked

another good conditioniing treatmentonce a week heat olive oil in a cup in micro 30 seconds and put on hair.leaves it really soft

SausageRocket Sat 01-Aug-09 09:36:08

For me.....

I keep it short (jaw length).

Get it trimmed regularly (every 8wks).

Use conditioner every day (light type as my hair is fine)

Don't use heated styling aids (hairdryer/straighteners/tongs etc) more than once a week and when I do use them use a protective serum/spray designed for use with heat.

marenmj Sat 01-Aug-09 19:59:37

my hair is very healthy, and grows very fast, but my secrets are rubbish I'm afraid.

1 - shampoos with NO SLS or variant thereof. this requires reading the labels. I actually had a girl tell me in one of those "natural products" stores that none of their shampoos contained sulfates when actually all but one had ammonium laureth sulfate, which is just as bad.

2 - no hair products with any silicone or variant thereof (dimethylcone etc, nothing ending in -cone).

3 - no blowdrying, ever.

other than that, diet makes a huge difference. no products for fixing I'm afraid

Firsttimer7259 Fri 07-Aug-09 18:25:25

Marenmj I do the same about silicones but cant find any shampoos etc without sulphates. Whats brand do yu use to have no SLS?

cornsillk Fri 07-Aug-09 18:35:03

I use aveda shampure shampoo and conditioner. Also phyto when it is wet to comb it through. Also ojon oil from QVC about once a week for deep conditioning. I have highlights and use straighteners as well. A good hair cream finishes it off.

shootfromthehip Fri 07-Aug-09 18:39:17

Warm olive oil (about 1tblsp) in the bottom half of your hair- put on a plastic bag and then a warm towel over it when in the bath. Leave for about 15 mins then rinse well. Repeat about once a fortnight.

And that has to be some of the worst sentence structure that I have ever constructed. Sorry- am shattered.

mathanxiety Mon 17-Aug-09 06:30:59

Put more conditioner on the ends than the scalp when you wash, and don't rinse the ends for too long -- leave a little in the hair, in other words. Yes, avoid SLS. If you can stand the smell, natural mayonnaise, not salad cream, moisturises well. Slather it on once a week, especially at the ends, wrap in some towel you have no sentimental attachment to, and leave in for a while (an hour or so) then rinse in cool water. Be very gentle with your hair when handling it, especially while it's wet. Treat it like a silk blouse or fine washable wool, no rubbing or pulling.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 17-Aug-09 07:23:07

I only blow dry and straighten mine very occasionally - once a month, maybe less.

A cool rinse at the end of washing makes it shinier and gives it that lovely 'slipperiness'. I don't use any styling products.

PreciousCargo Fri 21-Aug-09 20:00:56

I have long, fine hair, gets greasy and ends split easily. I can recommend Aussie hair care range, lovely smelling shampoos and conditioners for "problem" hair. I use their leave in conditioner before blow drying or using straightners to protect it. Aussie products are often on offer in Boots too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now