Talk

Advanced search

Ugg experts - does this look like a genuine site?

(33 Posts)
AmazingMabel Fri 31-Jul-09 17:00:35

australianuggboots.com.au

I'm seriously considering Uggs, having previously hated them something's "clicked" in the last couple of months grin However I've heard there are plenty of fakes available online, and don't want to fall for them. Browsing Quidco, I came across this site. I tend to think if it's via quidco it must be alright but then again... I don't know.

They seem quite cheap. Which worries me smile

Going to bathe DC now, will check back later. Thanks smile

AmazingMabel Fri 31-Jul-09 17:01:57

Oh, and also, I'd never usually buy shoes/boots online without having tried on them, but think Uggs look so comfy/cosy and slipper-like that as long as I get my size they'll fit. Am I being over-optimistic?

frankbestfriend Fri 31-Jul-09 17:07:52

No, they are not real. The middle G in the word Ugg should be bigger than the other letters.

stripes200 Fri 31-Jul-09 17:18:14

Here's a really useful guide to spotting fake uggs (fuggs as they're known in my house) it's aimed more at buying them on ebay but could prove useful to you.

It's a very tricky business spotting a fake site. The only way to be really 100% sure is to go the Ugg australia site and buy them at full retail or get them from a shop where you know they're genuine, like office.

They're pricey but worth it, sooo comfy and warm.

stripes200 Fri 31-Jul-09 17:18:59

Oops for got to link!

fakes

frankbestfriend Fri 31-Jul-09 17:31:43

There is an online company called BakerMackintosh that have various shoe websites, one is called Uggs Direct I think, and they sell genuine Uggs.

bishboschone Fri 31-Jul-09 17:55:35

they are not fake as such because ugg is a generic word for those type of boots but they are not deckers uggs which the slebs wear(made in china). Depends if you care about that or not.

AmazingMabel Fri 31-Jul-09 22:44:25

Thanks to all. That guide to fakes is really useful stripes, thank you.

And the bigger G, and the Decker stuff - I didn't know any of this this. But now I do.

I think I have to accept that I have to pay full or virtually full price. They just seem so expensive. But then advocates are so fulsome smile Is anyone able to tell me the "proper" site/s to buy online from?

And is true that they are "unfitted" enough that anything in the right size will fit/be comfortable?

bishboschone Sat 01-Aug-09 09:20:58

I got mine from jones' at full price..they are fabulously comfortable .I said I would rather pay full price than 3/4 for fakes. Best you do try them on .I think you need to make sure you get the right size as they can flop about otherwise..good luck

tinseltot Sat 01-Aug-09 11:25:03

What colour and style are you after?

AmazingMabel Sat 01-Aug-09 14:40:24

I like the dark brown chocolate colour. And probably the classic style, not sure whether short or long.

Thanks for the advice. I'd better go shopping in person then and stop trying to get a bargain online. False economy if they're fakes that don't fit. Just feel a bit dubious about spending so much money when I'm not even convinced I like them hmm

tinseltot Sat 01-Aug-09 15:07:19

I know exactly how you feel! I have been against them for years, but have finally given in. I have just got the short classic style and they are beautifully comfortable and snug. Am really pleased with them. Ok they are clumpy looking but the soft insides makes it all worthwhile smile. I am a 6 to a 6 and a half but i got a 7 to be sure they wonuln't rub. They fit fine. Am toying with the idea of getting a knitted/cardy pair but the fit on them is bigger. The 7 feels too big. Have yet to try the 6 but suspect it may be too small sad. The classic style are much more comfy than the cardi though as classic are sheep skin lined throughout whist cardi only have sheepskin on sole of foot.

They are undeniably a rip off but i am in love with my short classic pair wink.

PrincessToadstool Sat 01-Aug-09 16:29:12

I have always really disliked Uggs - but have done a u-turn and now want some. I will be a SAHM this winter and don't want to live in slippers indoors, and would be nice to have something so cosy for dry days.

So I want some short ones, I would not wear them over jeans, just under like normal boots.

but £150 shock

PrincessToadstool Sat 01-Aug-09 16:43:28

Are these genuine? A few colours have £10-£20 off.

tinseltot Sat 01-Aug-09 16:46:20

Princess, if you are going to wear them under the jeans (so that the ugg label wouldn't show anyway) would you consider a copy pair? No-one would know! I think someone on here was raving about asda £8 ones being lovely.

All that said though the genuine ugg classic short are really gorgeous on. You are meant to wear them bearfoot to fully benefit from the thermal properties of the sheepskin. They warm your feet in winter and keep them cool in warmer times. I feel as snug as a bug in a rug in mine! Tis a very expensive price to pay but would be a real treat for your feet. Listen to me eh, you'd never know that i hated the look of them until about 2 weeks ago!

PrincessToadstool Sat 01-Aug-09 16:51:58

tinsel the branding doesn't bother me for the sake of it but you see so many girls walking around with the sides folded onto the soul in the cheap ones it just seems a waste of (very little, admittedly) money.

Mind you, if it rains all winter, they wouldn't get out anyway.

tinseltot Sat 01-Aug-09 17:13:04

Yeah, i won't be wearing mine in the rain or the snow/slush. Would get very soggy i think.

Agreed that the collapsed ones look awful and really uncomfprtable.

PrincessToadstool Sat 01-Aug-09 17:19:01

I meant sole blush but you got that bit

The genuine ones just look better somehow, maybe I am being a marketers dream but cheap things do generally look cheap - and I am not a snob but it seems a false economy sometimes to buy the cheap version of something.

But £150 is still a lot, I think I had better save my 50 p coins!

tinseltot Sat 01-Aug-09 17:26:41

They are defo expensive. I ummmed and ahhhed for a while before taking the plunge. Am seriously hoping we get a dry winter now or i will have wasted my money!

AmazingMabel Sat 01-Aug-09 19:45:21

I bought some!!! Short classic in chocolate. 160 quid.

Really like them though. Came home and tried them on with all my different clothes grin . I'm a convert.

Now, ( wink ) where's the best place to get protector spray? Does it have to be ugg branded or will any suede protector do...?

tinseltot Sat 01-Aug-09 19:50:39

Lovely! Glad you like them. Did you get your usual size? i am a 6.5 so traded up to a 7 <<<massive foot size emoticon>>>>>. They are so furry and soft.

I have yet to buy the protector spray as have kept mine dry. Will get some this weekrnd though.

AmazingMabel Sat 01-Aug-09 20:38:06

I did get my usual size, same as you, usually 6.5-7, so went for 7, seem fine. Very cosy.

I'd been dithering so am quite pleased with myself I've actually made the decision. It was quite possible I'd have thought about it til November, had trouble getting colour/size and then feel annoyed I'd missed out on months of potential wear grin

Jewelsandgems Sat 01-Aug-09 20:44:39

They are lovely amazingmabel enjoy!

I wore mine today and felt very snuggly when stood next to others in flip-flops, with very cold-looking feet [smug emoticon]

roomforthree Sat 01-Aug-09 20:48:01

I bought these last week.

I got my usual size and the fit is perfect.

roomforthree Sat 01-Aug-09 20:49:48

I used the clarks protector spray - wore boots in rain, no marks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now