Talk

Advanced search

tell me about straight legged jeans please - should even the chunky of thigh try to wear them?

(14 Posts)
deaconblue Thu 30-Jul-09 20:30:51

Am starting to think I look a bit frumpy in my bootleg jeans as have been buying that style for 15 years but have quite chunky thighs and calves. So what style jeans for me?
have bought boyfriend style for every day and they are good for the thigh ishoooo but am thinking of going out jeans

Fillyjonk Thu 30-Jul-09 20:37:25

I think tbh is is best not to buy these jeans if you are chunky of thigh as you might look slightly unbalanced.

but then i live in flares so perhaps I am not a great fashion expert

deaconblue Thu 30-Jul-09 20:38:27

ok so which jeans for going out?

SilentBob Thu 30-Jul-09 20:41:55

I love my super-flares. Skinny-tight on my thighs but it doesn't matter, as they are balanced out by the kick at the bottom. They look fab with heels. I also love skinnies, but only ever with long tops- either a voluminous white belted shirt or tunic affairs. And only ever when my muffin tops can be kept at bay grin

My advice would be to get thee to Levi's or similar, arm yourself with numerous pairs0 even those you're not too keen on- and try try try!

Fillyjonk Thu 30-Jul-09 20:41:56

Hmm I do not know

is it that you need a change?

is the style basically working for you?

could you change style of shoes? that is less thigh dependent imo, though crocs never wise

Halestones Thu 30-Jul-09 20:42:14

Not sure, probably cargo style would suit you best. Unfortunately I have the opposite problem - fat stomach and thin legs/backside. Would love to find a pair of jeans with skinny legs but relatively big stomach

Fillyjonk Thu 30-Jul-09 20:43:33

yes read somewhere average woman tries on +40 pairs of jeans for each pair bought shock

superflares great, provide balance but don't look as thought that is their point, iyswim

deaconblue Thu 30-Jul-09 20:44:03

I love my bootlegs but though perhaps I am stuck in a rut having worn same style for donkeys.

SixtyFootDoll Thu 30-Jul-09 20:47:32

I have quite big but toned thighs BUT I really wanted to buy ssome skinnies as i like the look of them.
I have a pair that are quite long so puff up a bit on the anke which provides a bit of balance.
I dont look amazing in them but I have seen people looking worse than me in them
I wore them with a long tshirt and flat gladiator sandals and felt fashionable for change!!

SilentBob Thu 30-Jul-09 20:49:37

That sounds lovely, SFD. My favourites puff up, too, I think that looks best with skinnies. I have a pair from Zara which don't puff as much (I really need a longer length- 36" if wearing heels) but I love them still!

Clure Thu 30-Jul-09 20:51:02

look in River Island, they do some really lovely bootlegs which fit nice and snugly round bum, thigh, top leg area then flare out gently and balance everything out.
Also i think if you buy dark denim that also instantly looks smarter whatever the style

MummyDragon Thu 30-Jul-09 21:19:30

I think slim/skinny jeans look good on anyone, regardless of chunkiness of thigh, if they are worn with knee-high boots rather than flat shoes.

Agree with Clure that dark bootlegs look smart and fabulous for going out. Or with a smart-ish jacket during the day.

Next Directory does quite a good range - and their jeans start at £20 and last for ages (I have had 2 pairs from there since my pre-DC days and my oldest DC is 5 now ... and the jeans still haven't worn through at the knees, although the bum is a different issue!).

Clure Thu 30-Jul-09 21:48:39

I am short of leg though a size 8 with generous bum! I've just bought really nice skinnies from River Island - dark denim and they look fine IF i wear them with heels

LittleFriendSusan Thu 30-Jul-09 22:47:56

I also have chunky thighs & calves, am not particularly tall either (5'5) so look horrendous in skinnies.

I have a couple of pairs of "skinny flares" which look fab - slim cut on the thigh but then a bit of a kick-flare at the bottom which balances it out.

I think you could get away with dark straight-legs - I got some from Topshop last year which look great with tunics / longer tops etc, slim-fit still but they kind of skim over my bulgy calves.

I've also found Peacocks jeans to be a really good fit. They don't last forever, but they are cheap and the cut really seems to suit those of a chunkier leg!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now