Talk

Advanced search

Should be in Living Abroad probably, but I can't find it... avoiding raisin face if you live in the tropics

(13 Posts)
mangopassionfruitshake Wed 29-Jul-09 21:40:48

What's the best daily facial sunscreen if you live somewhere really hot? I've been using clinique cityblock spf40 for ages, I've never loved it but can't find anything comparably strong that feels any lighter to put on. And even though I'm pretty good about using it, I'm still getting sunspots and loads of fine lines - I don't know if I should be slapping on more in the morning, but I don't want my face to look chalky.

And do you put anything on your arms/ hands daily? My arms and face are 2 totally different colours. It's a great look. hmm

frAKKINPannikin Wed 29-Jul-09 23:41:04

I shall be smothering myself in factor 40, wearing a hat and staying out of the sun.

Pale and interesting is in, supposedly. Which is good for me because I burn in Britain, let alone the Mediterranean and we're about to move just off the coast of Madagascar.

frAKKINPannikin Wed 29-Jul-09 23:52:20

Sorry just realised I didn't tell you what I actually use: La Roche Posay Anthelios Fluide Extrême

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 07:44:24

Oooh, how lovely frakk.
What are you doing there?
I'm in the tropics now and spent the first 20 years of my life in them too.
Factor 30 or 50 for me.

BodenGroupie Thu 30-Jul-09 09:35:48

I live on the South Coast (of England!) and do actually have the same problem even in this weather. I suspect it's probably more windburn than sun. I seem to have the sort of skin that will tan through any protection.

I've tried the No 7 stuff to treat brown spots but not had much success. I think creams are supposed to have retinol to be effective, but presumably that's treating the after effects rather than preventing it happening.

BonsoirAnna Thu 30-Jul-09 09:36:49

Avène products are excellent. As are La Roche Posay, recommended by frannikin.

mangopassionfruitshake Thu 30-Jul-09 11:11:39

Thanks, I'm sure a hat would help, but I'm never in the sun for long enough to make it seem worth it - plus I don't have a good hat face, I think.

What SPF is the La Roche? Does it absorb easily? I need something designed for every day use, but still high sun protection. I've tried the kind of sunscreen you'd use on the beach before, but it takes ages to rub in, and feels too heavy.

Rosie29 Thu 30-Jul-09 12:29:11

I live in Greece and use Roc factor 50 for the face. Have very sensitive skin and it's great, non-greasy too. Probably easily available too.

RamblingRosa Thu 30-Jul-09 12:58:20

Before you could only get La Roche Posay in France but you can get it on Boots website now I think. It comes in several SPFs. I think I've got a factor 40 one and it is good. Very light and non greasy.

frAKKINPannikin Thu 30-Jul-09 21:17:54

moondog I'm going to be a Navy wife - initially at least! I need to find myself a job there but unsurprisingly there's not much call for governesses.

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 21:19:10

Wow...sounds like such an interesting place.
Enjoy!!

frAKKINPannikin Thu 30-Jul-09 21:24:45

Not that exotic really. Technically it's still part of France!

moondog Thu 30-Jul-09 21:26:05

My sister lives in the French Caribbean and it really is France with bananas and coconuts.
Most odd. British are rather ashamed of colonial ties-the French still appear to revel in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now