Talk

Advanced search

Good winter coats for boys - which brands to look at?

(31 Posts)
DrEvil Wed 29-Jul-09 14:12:50

I'm just starting the hunt for the ds's winter coats; I need one for a chunky 2 yr old and a mini 4 yr old and need something that will be easy for ds1 to get on and off at school.

So, I'm looking for something bright, waterproof and warm I've looked at Boden and Muddy Puddles but if there are any other suggestions on where to have a browse that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

rubyslippers Wed 29-Jul-09 14:21:04

GAP

they are worth the money IME

cornsillk Wed 29-Jul-09 14:21:45

I always get GAP.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 29-Jul-09 14:23:10

I like debenhams. They wash up so nicely and seem to survive beign rolled around in. Usually get jasper conran.

DrEvil Wed 29-Jul-09 17:40:26

Thanks, will definately give those 2 a try.

Has anyone got any experience of Muddy Puddles? The jackets look nice a light and waterproof but it doesn't say if it's warm or lined.

Flgihtattendant Wed 29-Jul-09 17:51:50

We've got a Muddy puddles all in one and a jacket - they are neither of them lined. Warm and sweaty, yes smile

I like them but tbh no different to your standard camping shop stuff and I dislike stretchy rubbery fabric as I always think your fingers will go through it iyswim.

We just got some brill regatta jackets from Scats sale - only a fiver - plus a couple of nice thick winter jackets, ds really liked them, as are nice and rugged looking smile but vg quality and value.

I'd go to an outdoor shop if I were you.
Have had jasper conran as well, good coat, just rather bulky iygwim - ds refused to wear it sad don't blame him, he looked like l'homme michelin.

MaybeAfterBreakfast Wed 29-Jul-09 17:51:50

Just got this Boden one for 3yo ds1. It is very similar to one JoJo did last winter but better made, imo (much warmer, nicer lining).

Flgihtattendant Wed 29-Jul-09 17:58:58

Oh yes Gap vg as well but a bit ££ unless you get a sale

We also have this for our 2yo but in the pirate colourway.

VV cute and warm grin

Clayhead Wed 29-Jul-09 18:01:49

H&M do a ski range - the coats are waterproof, windproof and about £25 - £30. They are fab - I've bought them for the last few years and they wash and last so well ds wears dd's old ones. Last winter they had them in primary colours, green and brown.

Clayhead Wed 29-Jul-09 18:05:50

I also inherited a Polarn O Pyret one - absolutely gorgeous, waterproof & windproof but £££ to buy!

Viking Kids do some great winter coats, I got ds a Ticket to Heaven one in their sale last year it is gorgeous and so so warm.

I don't think they have all their winter stock in yet though.

I also second Polarn, I buy a lot of the dc's clothes from their, amazing quality, but I only buy in the sale.

H and M also have nice affordavle alternatives.

GAP quality is nothing short of apalling now imo, stuff just falls apart, not even worth buying at sale prices.

princessparkle Wed 29-Jul-09 20:13:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bebesequin Wed 29-Jul-09 20:26:51

Until my DS grew too tall for their range we always bought his winter coat from monsoon and they were passed on to a friend's DS so got at least two years hard wear out of them .You can always buy the year ahead in the Christmas sale

raspberrytart Wed 29-Jul-09 20:40:59

was gonna say bhs but just looked and its sooooo dull,however I did get ds a great coat from there last year it was red,padded,detachable hood and easy to wash.Got it for £8 in sale
They do have padded jackets in different colours
here
yay it worked!

blithedance Wed 29-Jul-09 20:45:40

Warm and waterproof is a difficult combination - why are so many anoraks only "showerproof"

I'd suggest a jacket by say Regatta or Peter Storm (Millets) - they are outdoor brands so will be properly waterproof and breathable, but they a range of padded/fleece lined coats.

For really cold weather we have the Gap down/puffa jackets, they are toasty warm but not rainproof.

DrEvil Wed 29-Jul-09 21:04:02

Thanks for all the links - it seems either warm or wet!

I do love this but will it survive a 15 min walk to school in the rain?

blithedance Wed 29-Jul-09 21:05:43

Of course it won't. Don't do it to your poor kids, get them a waterproof!

Or a cute coat and a pack-a-mac?

blithedance Wed 29-Jul-09 21:06:50

we have one of [[ http://www.waterproofworld.co.uk/regattaseparates.htm#PackawayIIJacket these]] for example

blithedance Wed 29-Jul-09 21:07:47

<Sigh>
I am doomed to post only to correct mistakes

This I mean

accessorizequeen Wed 29-Jul-09 21:20:36

I've ended up getting 2 coats for both boys lately, it's so impossible to get warm and waterproof (and look half decent). Plus it's often raining (like today) but not warm. I've just got the padded one from Boden for ds1 this morning and he went out in the rain quite happily (although he must have been boiling).

Anyway, bought both boys (they are now 2 and mini 5 year olds) waterproof ones from Bush Baby. Amazon had best prices for them although I think Little Trekkers is a v.good site for kids waterproofs & excellent prices. And they have been so fab I'm buying another for ds1 this year.

I have had trousers from muddy puddles and they're fab (the soft ones, can't remember what they're called) but ordered the matching coat & didn't like it at all so sent it back. Was blue & green I think, awful colours.

Zara often have padded ones in nice bright colours.
I don't think Next has been mentioned yet, they do have quite a lot & reasonably prices.
Tis worth buying a decent one for the 4yo as you only get good zips which are sturdy enough to be yanked in decent clothes IMO.
Monsoon lovely, but I don't think they're terribly warm for the bulk.

MrsMattie Wed 29-Jul-09 21:23:33

Zara. Got two waterproof, lined, padded jackets from there for DS last year and they lasted so well, washed well etc. And were only £15 each.

fishie Wed 29-Jul-09 21:24:22

good thread drevil, i need one for a mini 4yo too. have been havering around boden, why on earth don't they do something for 4-5yo?

what is size like on boden one accessorizequeen? i rang them to ask but apparently they haven't had training on that garment yet....

accessorizequeen Wed 29-Jul-09 21:33:12

Training on a garment?? Boden vary so much from year to year (and garment to garment). But I got the 5-6 for ds1 (who is 5.7) and it's quite big on him but wanted it to last for ages! It's really lightweight but seems v.v.warm & lovely bright colour (I bought orange).
Also forgot TK Maxx often has great range of coats.

accessorizequeen Wed 29-Jul-09 21:34:23

Can always buy boden (15% off now) in both sizes and send back what you don't want.

MaybeAfterBreakfast Wed 29-Jul-09 21:42:10

The Boden one is small, imo. Got 3-4yrs for 3.3yo ds1, for him to grow into, and it fits fine now. He's still in 2-3 years (or 18-24 months) for all other stuff, including Boden stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now