Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know about jewelry-is this possible?

(11 Posts)
sammysam Wed 29-Jul-09 13:42:14

My mum was left a ring that she says I can have as I really like it, firstly how much does it cost to re-size a ring?
Also it is yellow gold and I want it to be white gold. I know that white gold needs re-plating so would it be possible to get a yellow gold ring white plated?
Or how much would I be looking at completely changing it to white gold? I'm thinking far too much!

hmmwhatdoyouthink Wed 29-Jul-09 13:45:25

I'm not sure about re sizing costs but it's fairly inexpensive.

I do know that I was told by a jeweller that it was not worth replating a yellow gold ring to white gold. Apparently it would look poor and the yellow would start to show through

OhBling Wed 29-Jul-09 14:03:42

Yup - the resizing shouldn't cost too much. However, it would make more sense to have it reset in the white gold. As it's in yellow gold currently, the cost of the gold that's in the ring already would be used to offset the cost of any new gold - so in theory, it shouldn't be too expensive in terms of materials.

However, labour costs could get high, depending on what the ring looks like as in effect what you will be doing is having a whole new ring made - it will just look like the old one.

sammysam Wed 29-Jul-09 14:53:21

Oh damn-that is what I had thought-was hoping there would be a cheap option-will have to wait until I have some money! Will maybe take it for a quote or something just to see. Where would be best-an independent jewelers?

posieparkerinChina Wed 29-Jul-09 14:55:08

Resizing costs between 20 and 40 pounds (not sign on this keyboard!)... depends on the carat. I've heard yellow gold is coming back with a vengeance.

OhBling Wed 29-Jul-09 15:14:06

Definitely an independent - especially if it's delicate hand work that needs to be done.

If you live in London, don't go to Hatton Garden as it will be more expensive.

Most areas will have small independent jewellers but that will still be reputable. If you can find one of those, normally the labour will be significantly less than if you go to a mainstream "posh" place.

lal123 Wed 29-Jul-09 15:20:56

I tought that white gold was just rhodium plated yellow gold and that eventually all white gold needs to be replated?

cheesesarnie Wed 29-Jul-09 15:26:48

my sister works in a jewellers in hatton garden i could ask her opinion?

OhBling Wed 29-Jul-09 15:26:57

No. It's an alloy I assume - I know that when I want to work in gold, I have to go out and buy white, yellow or red gold and then I can melt it down as normal which wouldn't be possible if I was using yellow gold that had been plated.

sammysam Wed 29-Jul-09 16:06:26

cheesesarnie-that would be fantastic if you could!

The ring isn't worth much but I like it and it will look much nicer than the one I wear already-just not sure how much money it would be worth spending on it iyswim?

wifeofdoom Wed 29-Jul-09 19:12:26

I had one resized for £50 and they offered to rhodium plate it to match my other rings - I said no, but i seem to remember is being under £100. This was local jewellers, not a chain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now