Talk

Advanced search

What are those hats called.....I only know them as "grandad hats".........

(8 Posts)
FAQtothefuture Wed 29-Jul-09 11:22:42

my Grandad has a checked/burberry style hat which I always remember him wearing -(which I now have smile) - though it's sadly lost it's little feather it used to have on it.

FIL has one the same style - but it's the only sort available in Zim - cheap polyester "made in China".

I'm thinning of trying to find him a really nice, good quality one before he goes back home (plenty of time he doesn't leave the UK until beginning of September).

I've just had a google and I think it's a Trilby???

Would that be right - and if so where would I be able to find a really nice, good quality one??

CybilLiberty Wed 29-Jul-09 11:24:13

Look in old fashioned gentlemans outfitters...sadly a dying breed now. The sort of shop that had the yellow film in the window. OR John Lewis/big dept stores.

AnyFucker Wed 29-Jul-09 11:25:50

trilby

dunno where you would get one from though

Do you have a Greenwoods menswear shop near you ?

Or sometimes country towns have independent shops that sell them

The Lake District is full of 'em, as are shops in the Peak Ditrict

Do Lakeland have a website ?

FAQtothefuture Wed 29-Jul-09 11:26:11

a few corrections - my Grandad had one (sadly passed away nearly 2yrs ago) and FIL doesn't leave until beginning of December

<<<<<<<thinks she needs another coffee>

Thanks Cybil - it is a Trilby I'm looking for??

southeastastra Wed 29-Jul-09 11:27:23

m & s have some though the winter collection may have some more er wintery ones.

my dad has one too

southeastastra Wed 29-Jul-09 11:27:51

oh have to do a view all

hocuspontas Wed 29-Jul-09 11:28:49

What about these fedoras?

FAQtothefuture Wed 29-Jul-09 11:34:41

thanks everyone - got lots to look through (and some idea where to look off line too).

one of those M&S ones is almost identical the one he's currently got (just disappeared upstairs to examine his in more detail)

Hopefull I can find him a good quality one, I can feel the difference between my Grandad's one and FIL's.

And I think he'd be really chuffed with a "bought in England" hat, especiall if it's not just a horrible cheap chinese import (ok chances are it'll still be a Chinese import - but hopefully not a bottom end range one smile)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now