Talk

Advanced search

Help please - Groom wear - getting married on Fri and still nowt sorted

(18 Posts)
giantkatestacks Sun 26-Jul-09 13:19:32

Hi there - DP and I are getting married on Fri in a registry office with 2 witnesses.

Originally he was going to wear the morning suit we cobbled together for our Glasto wedding 3 years ago - it was actually quite nice looking and it would have had resonance for us obviously.

He has now gone and lost the jacket however.

Leaving aside all questions of whether I should be marrying a man who can mislay such an important thing, do you think we should go to a hire place and hire the whole kit again (expensive) or should he just wear his really very smart and new work suit?

I am wearing a white Vivienne Westwood dress that isnt that wedding-ey though I will have flowers. Am worried that in the whole kit and caboodle he will look a right nob in a registry office with 2 people but then again he wont get the chance to do it again.

He is a bloke and therefore quite ambivalent about the whole question...

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 26-Jul-09 13:25:40

Don't know but am green with envy at getting married in a Viv Westwood frock. Can you link? grin

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 26-Jul-09 13:26:20

Does he like his work suit?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 26-Jul-09 13:26:55

No, you can't get married in a work suit.

How much to hire?

giantkatestacks Sun 26-Jul-09 13:33:22

I think at Debenhams which is really our only option today its not less than £50 - but maybe more like £80 grr.

There is a link somwhere for the dress in a different colour and material - the one I have is white and sort of lightly checked (hard to describe) here

His work suit is nice but bland - fits him well though and he looks good in it.

nicolamumof3 Sun 26-Jul-09 13:36:07

dress is gorgeous!

we got married last saturday and dh hired suits for him, best man and my 10yr old. v.expensive. tbh i wouldn't bother i'd spend the money on a nice shirt/tie and wear that with the work suit.

have an amazing day!

giantkatestacks Sun 26-Jul-09 13:39:06

Congrats nicola grin...tbh I was thinking that - its £80 more to spend in Venice at the weekend but then I think, looking back, we might feel that he hadnt made enough effort - oh I dont know...

nicolamumof3 Sun 26-Jul-09 14:10:11

gorgeous shirts here

oooh lucky you off to venice envy we have delayed honeymoon in 3weeks!

giantkatestacks Sun 26-Jul-09 14:37:02

Its only for 2 days but yes am looking forward to it muchly - first time away without dd though gulp...

nicolamumof3 Sun 26-Jul-09 14:45:57

oooh tough one. we are leaving all three boys in three weeks time for our honeymoon, hope i copee!!

OmicronPersei8 Sun 26-Jul-09 14:48:37

My Dh got married in his smart suit - but he bought an expensive Paul Smith tie to go with it, it got as many comments as my dress did (it was quite distinctive!).

Tillyscoutsmum Sun 26-Jul-09 14:52:20

We got married last year and DH wore a work suit (albeit it was a new/expensive one which he'd only worn a couple of times before). We bought new shirt and tie for the day. I had full on wedding frock and I don't think he looked under dressed (pics on profile).

Your dress is lovely btw smile Have a fantastic day

Buda Sun 26-Jul-09 14:56:53

DH got married in a Marks and Spencers suit, shirt and tie! (He is an accountant!) It was fine.

If your DH has a suit he can wear then why not use it and save the money to spend on something else? Other option is you can afford it is for him to buy a new suit that he hasn't worn for work but can in the future.

A funky tie and shirt can transform an ordinary suit.

suwoo Sun 26-Jul-09 14:58:18

My DH also got married in a new suit (Ted Baker), which he then wore to work afterwards.

He had a most unfortunate accident at work during a team meeting wearing said suit where he perched on the edge of the shredder........yep, you guessed it- he switched it on with his bum and it sucked in his jacket and shredded the lower part of it.

He has never lived it down grin

giantkatestacks Sun 26-Jul-09 20:01:19

grin suwoo

Thanks for all this - have just got back from the shops where all the hire people laughed at us anyway for not ordering anything 6 months in advance so on the spur of the moment got dp a linen suit from next which he can wear with one of his white shirts.

I know its a cliche but it actually looks good and its not like dropping £80 on a hire because he can wear it again...

Now I just need to decide which shoes. wink

giantkatestacks Sun 26-Jul-09 20:04:19

Tillyscoutsmum - my god you all look amazing in those photos envy

Tillyscoutsmum Sun 26-Jul-09 20:23:52

Thank you smile

Glad you're all sorted. Enjoy grin

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 30-Jul-09 19:41:16

So, it's tomorrow isn't it???

I hope you both have a great day. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now