Talk

Advanced search

I look like Ann Widdicombe

(18 Posts)
notanumber Sat 25-Jul-09 22:42:05

Had long layered hair for AGES. Ok but pretty boring. I mean, anyone can have hair that just hangs there being brown.

So I told the hairdresser to give me something a bit pizzazzier.

He interpreted this as "please make me look exactly like Ann Widdecome".

So this is what I need help with. Hair that has a bit of a kink and a tendency to go fluffy cut into a chin length bob with a thick fringe. Basically a really really Primark version of Uma Thurman's circa Pulp Fiction era.

What can I do to make it look better in the interim, and what do I ask for next time I'm at the hairdresser to make it look less fucking awful?

cornsillk Sat 25-Jul-09 22:43:13

Oh dear! Do you have any GHD'S?

shhhh Sat 25-Jul-09 22:49:33

GHD'S...thats all you need.grin.
Sorry but rotflmao at AW...!

notanumber Sat 25-Jul-09 22:53:01

No, no. I've tried that. Makes the fringe stick out at a weird angle.

And. It. Is. Not. Funny.

You bastards. wink

shhhh Sat 25-Jul-09 22:59:38

grin

You need to GHD your fringe alot to get the desired effect...Try and do it with a little spray on (conditioner or heat protector) and do it round and down iykwim...

cut sound like mine and if I can so myself I look more lilly allen than AW grin!

If it is fluffy have you applied serum (type stuff) afterwards..?

notanumber Sat 25-Jul-09 23:02:44

Round and down?

giraffesCanRunA10k Sat 25-Jul-09 23:04:38

So I told the hairdresser to give me something a bit pizzazzier.

He interpreted this as "please make me look exactly like Ann Widdecome".

Quote of the week

TheProvincialLady Sat 25-Jul-09 23:05:20

Sorry but PMSL at your Primark bobgrin

wrinklytum Sat 25-Jul-09 23:05:23

Oh dear.As long as you do not THINK like her you should be OK..

shhhh Sun 26-Jul-09 00:36:00

yes round and down....

holding the straighteners at the base of the hair (near scalp) pull them htrough your fringe round (as in outwards to do a circle and downwards..) then next one pull through hair straight down..keep doing this while products applied and it should shape as you want.smile x

TigerDrivesAgain Sun 26-Jul-09 01:02:36

I have met AW. She is like a small, rather fervent shetland pony, with good ankles and rather nice shoes.

her fringe was minging though.

missmelly Sun 26-Jul-09 07:06:22

tooooo funny
sorry OP, but you make it sound hilarious

grin

missmelly Sun 26-Jul-09 07:09:48

oh my god
i had to google to see what ann widdicome actually looked like, and
this is what i found

sleepsforwimps Sun 26-Jul-09 08:19:42

Oh dear. shock

I have just had my long, wavy, layered, brown hair cut into a bob too, must admit i'm rather pleased with mine.

I asked for the layers to be kept longish around my face and she shaped the back slightly shorter. Actually tell you what if you show me yours i'll show you mine. grin I am sure something can be done to tame your AW.

notanumber Sun 26-Jul-09 21:08:42

Meh. I spent AGES with the bloody straighteners this morning.

The result? Ann Widdecome in fancy dress as There's Something About Mary.

Then I tried to pin the fringe to the side but unfortunately I cannot get to grips with hair accessories AT ALL (never have been able to).

Plain kirby gribs made me look like a sexually frustrated librarian.

Sparkly grips made me look like a demented seven year old with High School Musical issues.

For the love of God! Can't one of you help me?! Have some pity ladies.

Woooozle100 Sun 26-Jul-09 21:16:45

notanumber - Feel yr pain. I got this cut a few years ago. In my compaint letter I referred to Ann Widdecombe, lego hair and the fact that it was more Terry Nutkins first thing in the morning. Staggering that 1 haircut could encasulate such wrongness

Actually had a screaming fit and pulled out a clump in sheer frustration when straighteners did nowt but frazzle it out and show it up for even more of a arsehole cut

I tried slides. For a couple of days. Then got it cut off completely in a 'oh just give me a jean seburg' Surely that cannot be fucked up.

Then I mourned the loss of my hair cos that wasn't what I wanted really. It was better though

sleepsforwimps Sun 26-Jul-09 21:58:08

Could you have it recut and turn it into somthing like this? Sounds like you need to soften the hairstyle and go with the kink/wave not fight it.

margotfonteyn Mon 27-Jul-09 09:12:43

Could you have it layered all over so it's a bit 'choppy' (I think that's the phrase hairdressers use)! Layering def helps.

I have dark brown straight hair and for years and years hairdressers just love to cut it into an Anne Widdicombe type bob, whatever I ask for.

A side parting helps, also it will grow out eventually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now