Talk

Advanced search

Clothes for a 12 year old girl

(14 Posts)
Littledawley Sat 25-Jul-09 15:02:30

I have been given the unenviable task of helping my 12 yr old niece find something to wear to DD's christening and I don't know where to start.
She is quite a tomboy, not into dresses but is getting into fashion as she's now at senior school. She's fairly tall and of average build.

What sort of shops are best for this age group??? My DC are still firmly in Boden with Monsoon for parties so I really don't know where to begin. Am thinking classic with a nod to trend..... help!

LaurieFairyCake Sat 25-Jul-09 15:05:14

IME the trendy ones like Tammy (at BHS) and 9-15 at New Look all have some nice things if you ignore the young hooker stuff

I got dd a dress in Monsoon and Boden (the largest size) so don't rule them out - dd is only 11 but the largest size just fits her

janeite Sat 25-Jul-09 15:08:04

Oh you poor thing: 12 year old girls are the pits! My 12 year old is upstairs sulking (we are going to a party in 5 minutes) because I have made her put on clean jeans and a pretty top instead of her skanky old skinnies.

Can she wear a ladies' 6 or 8 yet, because that will then open up the court a fair bit and make places like Topshop or Warehouse possible.

janeite Sat 25-Jul-09 15:09:16

This is v sweet irl and nods towards the current nautical theme slightly. Would be cute with red ballet flats and a white top, maybe?

CybilLiberty Sat 25-Jul-09 15:09:58

Most 12 year old girls are in the tunic and leggings brigade. That could look ok for a christening if the top was smartish.

CybilLiberty Sat 25-Jul-09 15:12:12

this dress with leggings, little silver pumps (the ones linked to on janeites M&S page were lovely) and a little black jacket?

CybilLiberty Sat 25-Jul-09 15:13:22

boyfriend blazer

Littledawley Sat 25-Jul-09 15:19:06

Thanks guys! I love the little M&S skirt but there is no way she would wear it!! Cybil is spot on that she is in the tunics and leggings brigade. She would def fit into a 6 or 8 as she is quite tall and not too skinny. I think that as Laurie says, it's avoiding the young hooker stuff!!

I like this in black - thought it would look nice with leggings. Am I way off???

Littledawley Sat 25-Jul-09 15:20:38

Cybil - I really like the dress you linked to but she is just developing and has a bit of a tummy so might be a bit self conscious.

CybilLiberty Sat 25-Jul-09 15:20:46

That's lovely...too nice for a stroppy 12 year old! Maybe with brown leggings rather than black and little gold shoes.

CybilLiberty Sat 25-Jul-09 15:21:25

Sorry, see you meant the black one. I prefer the patterend

LaurieFairyCake Sat 25-Jul-09 15:25:28

Littledawley - I really like that black patterned dress - dd would also love it - with black leggings or brighter ones since it's summer (perhaps yellow or pale blue)

Littledawley Sat 25-Jul-09 15:30:35

The black one has a pattern too - she has very long, very beautiful red hair so I thought it might look nice. Liking the idea of gold sandals and/or coloured leggings... Christening is in September so weather could be iffy.

How on earth did I end up with this task???

cocolepew Sat 25-Jul-09 15:48:49

H and M is very good for clothes, my tomboy DD (11) loves it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now