Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My clothes don't really fit me and I can't afford to buy any

(28 Posts)
doggiesayswoof Fri 24-Jul-09 11:58:44

WWYD?

I have lost weight post having DS last year.

(not masses, but enough to make trousers and skirts baggy)

I feel frumpy and rubbish with work clothes hanging off me. NOt a good look. But I am skint.

If I bought half-decent stuff it would have to be on plastic and I am trying to reduce debts not add to them.

Harumph

AnyFucker Fri 24-Jul-09 12:00:30

put the weight back on ?

Fillyjonk Fri 24-Jul-09 12:04:19

Have same problem, pita

Given choice between learning to sew and putting stuff on plastic, for a work expense, I put stuff on plastic. Not loads, but enough so I have something to wear.

I do think having clothes that actually fit is a fairly basic thing, and agree it does make one feel frumpy to have too big clothes. This isn't actually the same as going off one a spending binge, this is about needing some smart clothes to work in.

Also, when I was working, depending on your job, it DOES matter how you look to an extent. It shouldn't, it really shouldn't, but it does for most jobs. And it affects confidence, which is also important.

I think if you need the clothes, get them.

steamedtreaclesponge Fri 24-Jul-09 12:09:52

Could you get them taken in at all? Most good dry-cleaners will do alterations - OK, so they might not be brilliant, but it would probably be a damn sight cheaper than buying new clothes. That way you can save up and get something really nice when you have a bit more cash. Just getting the waists taken in on your jackets, for example, would probably help you feel a bit less shapeless.

Failing that, do you have a mum/auntie/granny who's good with a needle?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 24-Jul-09 12:10:55

What size are you?

doggiesayswoof Fri 24-Jul-09 12:12:36

Yes Anyfucker - brilliant plan!

Sadly I am not really trying to lose the weight

I am sitting around on arse eating like a horse

<smug annoying emoticon>

Thanks Filly. that's what I am coming round to as well. I don't need much because I do have a couple of smart dresses I can still wear. A couple of pairs of trews will tide me over.

It's a pita because I'm still losing gradually, so whatever I buy won't fit me for long.

motherlovebone Fri 24-Jul-09 12:14:06

Alter the clothes you do have (maybe mum or MIL could assist?)
ask friends/family if they have anything
Primark are seriously cheap and always have reduced rails, i just got some leggings from there for £2
Charity shops, you could get a couple of pairs of jeans for £10
Ebay, sell your old, buy new.
what size are you?
where do you live?

Tortoise Fri 24-Jul-09 12:14:34

Can't you buy cheap stuff in Matalan or Primark to tide you over, especially if weight is still coming off. smile

doggiesayswoof Fri 24-Jul-09 12:15:38

I am size 12 just now FBG but will prob end up a 10 if this trend keeps up. Most of my existing stuff is 14 or 16.

(I am shocked because I haven't been a 10 for years - but something in my lifestyle is obv conducive to weight coming off atm)

Steamedtreacle that might be a plan - I have one suit in particular which I really like, I could get it taken in

I've never had clothes altered before.

LuluMaman Fri 24-Jul-09 12:17:10

do a clothes swap party with friends

doggiesayswoof Fri 24-Jul-09 12:17:10

sorry I am typing too slowly!!

I can't bear primark or matalan - not for work. I did go and try some stuff on, the smart clothes look awful, their casual stuff not so bad.

I do have ishhooooos with them ethically too

I live in Glasgow.

doggiesayswoof Fri 24-Jul-09 12:18:13

I am planning to get a load of stuff up on ebay at the weekend mother - I hadn't thought of buying clothes on there - I am so dim

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 24-Jul-09 12:19:17

Depends what you need.

I have some size 12 trousers that will never fit me again.

ZZZenAgain Fri 24-Jul-09 12:20:00

well trousers or skirts need to fit round the wait/hips but you could still wear the bigger tops with them

What is your usual work outfit then?

doggiesayswoof Fri 24-Jul-09 12:22:09

I could do with trousers FBG. But I wouldn't feel right taking them off you if that's what you're suggesting

tis very kind of you smile

doggiesayswoof Fri 24-Jul-09 12:24:02

I don't often wear suits. It's really smart/casual, so I normally wear trousers or skirt with a shirt or a little top and cardi. My tops and cardis are mostly ok. My trousers and skirts are sitting on my hips instead of my waist.

I have a couple of shift dresses which I can still wear.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 24-Jul-09 12:25:12

You are more than welcome as I will never wear them again.

No pressure though.

I would also have to find them. grin They could have gone in the bags to school. hmm

Off the top of my head I think I have a black suit I don't need too.

ZZZenAgain Fri 24-Jul-09 12:25:37

get 1 pair of trousers and 1 skirt to tide you over?

doggiesayswoof Fri 24-Jul-09 12:37:49

Yes Zen I think I will have to.

I must have a look on ebay.

Fab, I don't want to put you to any trouble honestly! But if you have anything to hand and if you really don't mind, you could email me at doggieq at live dot co dot uk?

doggiesayswoof Fri 24-Jul-09 12:38:57

Thanks ladies I am heading off now - time to go home and clean for DD's birthday party tomorrow...

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 24-Jul-09 12:39:07

I will do.

Putting DS2 to bed now but will have a look.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 24-Jul-09 12:50:14

I haven't found any where I expected them to be but will send DH in the roof when he comes home to see if there is anything there.

motherlovebone Fri 24-Jul-09 12:56:14

George at asda do work type shirts for £2-3

Pinkmist Fri 24-Jul-09 12:58:42

I was going to say asda, or I got some nice black trousers for £8 in tesco.

PixiNanny Fri 24-Jul-09 13:12:10

Charity shops can have real bargins in if you look hard enough, I volunteer at one and buy pretty much all of my wardrobe apart from knickers/swimwear/bras/socks from charity shops grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now