Talk

Advanced search

Dyed hair too red, when can I re-dye brown?

(5 Posts)
JJ Wed 22-Jul-09 17:50:24

Argh, that's what I get for using a hair colouring kit I found in my cabinet, vintage and provenance unknown. My hair is a not particularly nice auburn colour, the grey is a weird blond and I need it to be a boring brown by the 1 August.

Help!

Jewelsandgems Wed 22-Jul-09 19:36:32

Aparently red has the smallest colour pigment, so it fades pretty easily. I have heard on here that head and shoulders shampoo used lots should have a colour-dampening effect. Maybe try that and see what happens, hopefully it will get you to a state where you can use another colour (even it is a gloss one, it should help)

macherie Wed 22-Jul-09 19:46:25

I have dyed my hair, not liked the colour and re-dyed it straight away.

Go to the chemist now and do it this evening, it will be fine. Just leave the conditioner on for as long as you can.

Use a medium brown, and if it's still showing a red tinge, I find Aveda Black Malva conditioner fantastic for eliminating this.

HarryB Wed 22-Jul-09 20:32:51

JJ, my hairdresser left my dye on for about a zillion years and my hair went an awfully bright shade of purple auburn. After a week of head & shoulders, it calmed down loads then I put Clairol Nice & Easy in Mahogony on it and I rather like it now.

JJ Thu 23-Jul-09 00:37:24

Oh thank you! I have to use Head and Shoulders every day to keep from becoming a one woman snow storm (ewwww, I know) so will keep using that until I get to the shop for some new dye. I'll try to get the Black Malva conditioner, too, but that will take a bit longer as I'm in rural Alabama and that's a bit fancy for these parts!

My 20th high school reunion is 1 August so I really appreciate the help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now