Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about this MN haircut?

(15 Posts)
VinegarTits Wed 22-Jul-09 14:16:24

I have heard there is a DIY haircut? i loath loath loath going to the hairdressers, they never cut it right, always take to much off and blowdry it to look like some pagent queen

My friend normally trims my layers but i cant get to see her until next week and i am in desprate need of a cut

My hair is long with layers, will the DIY cut put some shape back into it until i can get a proper trim?

VulpusinaWilfsuit Wed 22-Jul-09 14:21:34

There is a thread somewhere that links to a Youtube video showing someone doing it. Dry pony tail at front of head (kind of all your hair in a pony at front where your fringe would be, slightly to side if side parting) then chop off, falls in nice layers.

I tried it and it was OK. Certainly gave a bit of a shape to my already long layered hair and would do it again as interim measure...

VinegarTits Wed 22-Jul-09 14:24:35

Thanks VWS

Anyone know the link ? [lazy]

giddykipper Wed 22-Jul-09 14:27:06

here

giddykipper Wed 22-Jul-09 14:28:14

You basically but the pony tail where you want your hair to be the shortest.

VinegarTits Wed 22-Jul-09 14:30:22

Thanking you

I will give it a try tonight smile

juneybertiebottsbean Wed 22-Jul-09 14:31:10

Oooo I want one but daren't do it....

giddykipper Wed 22-Jul-09 14:33:03

You can start off gently, don't have to cut it as close to the head as on the video. Then it won't be so scary. And if you like it you can cut it shorter.

juneybertiebottsbean Wed 22-Jul-09 14:34:04

Oo that's true....how would it work if I already have a fringe? I guess if I'm not cutting it so short there won't be any "fringey" bits to add to my already resident fringe lol

giddykipper Wed 22-Jul-09 14:35:50

I think you just don't put the fringe in the pony tail. As you said though, it's probably too short to go in it anyway.

VinegarTits Wed 22-Jul-09 14:35:55

Close to the head? i dont want to scalp myslef? cant get on youtube at work

My hair is midway down my back, i just want to shape the layers to give body, does it work for long hair?

giddykipper Wed 22-Jul-09 14:37:46

It's designed for long hair. If you get YouTube to work you'll see what I mean. You basically pull it into a ponytail then cut the ponytail. The shorter you want your hair the closer to the head you cut it.

VinegarTits Wed 22-Jul-09 14:39:00

ahh ok, thanks giddykipper

TheChilliMooseisPerplexed Fri 24-Jul-09 12:46:15

You inspired me, VT and I have done it! It looks good, and has got rid of my spilt ends at last. I am NEVER going to the hairdressers again.

juneybertiebottsbean Fri 24-Jul-09 14:51:34

I had a wee go at it and it looks OK but ave just washed it so will wait for it to dry to have a good look!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now