Talk

Advanced search

Come and talk to me about alternatives to leggings because I don't really know about these things.

(14 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 21-Jul-09 19:19:42

I have a short tunicy type dress from Oasis.

And I have wedgy platforms sandals.

I just need something to cover my legs grin

I got the dress in winter and wore it with leggins and boots, but certainly don't want to do the boots, and leggings just don't feel smart enough. It's for an evening out with friends, you see.

Have you seen nice leggings? Or should I be thinkng dress over skinny jeans. Cropped trousers? Or something else.

frAKKINPannikin Tue 21-Jul-09 20:33:18

Opaque tights?

Skinny jeans?

Tailored short?

How tunicy is it? Can you link to it?

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Tue 21-Jul-09 21:38:39

Cropped skinny trousers would be good if it is a short tunic. Otherwise I think leggings do look nice with a tunic even for a night out. What colour is the dress?

MrsMattie Tue 21-Jul-09 21:45:16

Leggings are the best option, sorry! Get some nice stretchy black ones - or 'footless tights' in a high denier.

Trousers under tunics - hmmm...hard to make that look dressy. I'd do capri pants or cigarette pants or whatever those skinny trews are called for a daytime look...

mumonthenet Tue 21-Jul-09 21:47:33

leggings can look nice under a tunic, but I think they should be just below the kneee leggings - rather than down to the ankle ones as you might wear in winter with boots.

Just below the knee ones look cooler and lighter for the summer and also make you look taller - (if you're not very tall iyswim)

DebiNewberry Tue 21-Jul-09 21:48:45

short leggings are best now I think - just below knees

janeite Tue 21-Jul-09 21:51:02

Cigarette pants - leggings are never the best option imho!

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 21-Jul-09 22:13:23

Cigarette pants, that's the kind of thing perhaps. Seen any around?

Not leggings. Really, it's not good. Or maybe I'm just thinking of the ones I wore 20 years ago.

Dress is navy blue with a cracking big flower on the front. Sounds gross but it's not. And it's quite light weight (silk and sleeveless) so deffo not opaque tights.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 21-Jul-09 22:16:19

maybe a tad cheaper than these grin

Would need to be navy, or dare I say it, white???

Ewe Tue 21-Jul-09 22:17:21

Wet look or sequinned if you can pull them off?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 21-Jul-09 22:25:50

<snort> at wet look leggings.

No. No no no no no.

I'm 40. I remember leggings first time round. Wet look isn't for me grin

Ewe Tue 21-Jul-09 22:32:26

Ah yes, they are hard to pull off if you are older than 19 grin I work around media types, most of whom live in various styles of leggings and wet look and sequinned is preferred evening option!

<comes back to reality>

Do you think a pair of treggings might work?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 21-Jul-09 22:43:07

Do you know, that could be ok. I just don't want the flimsy crapness I associate with leggings, so something with a bit more finish (other than wet look natch) would be good.

have been googling the big stores and not coming up with much, espeically as I need to go with the blue / navy dress. Wish I could find a link to it.

KristinaM Tue 21-Jul-09 23:41:55

please PLEASE not leggings. great for the
20 soemthings

i agree with janeite

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now