Talk

Advanced search

Job interview Wednesday - black crepe or brown linen?

(21 Posts)
theDreadPirateRoberts Mon 20-Jul-09 17:20:10

Temperature is predicted to be 22 degrees, clouds and showers. Job is middle management local government. Both suits smart, but black suit smarter (Planet wide-legged trouser suit). What do you think?

hatwoman Mon 20-Jul-09 17:24:41

what's the brown linen like? what tops would you wear with them? for a job interview the black might be better - though I wouldn't be suprised if it would be too smart for normal wear in local govt (I work in NGO land and my only suit is black - and I feel too smart in it - but that's for meetings, not interviews)

theDreadPirateRoberts Mon 20-Jul-09 17:57:13

Brown linen is cropped jacket and wide-ish trousers. Would prob wear 3/4 sleeve white tee with both. Am veering to black, but family's telling me brown...

BodenGroupie Mon 20-Jul-09 18:01:21

Danger of being crumpled to buggery if you get caught in a linen suit in the rain! I'd go for the black but add a bit of colour. I was told by the agency that I nearly didn't get my current job cos I dressed too posh hmm

theDreadPirateRoberts Mon 20-Jul-09 18:12:04

Hurrah! Someone's backed me up on black! Thanks all smile

FritesMenthe Mon 20-Jul-09 18:18:42

Black, definately. You can wear crumpled linen once you've got the job smile

mrsmerryweather Mon 20-Jul-09 19:00:17

Agree- linen will look like a tatty rag before you get out of the house!

YaddaYaddaYadda Mon 20-Jul-09 19:21:50

Agree with the other posters - go for the black but personally I wouldn't wear it with a white tee, it'll look too stark and I think that whatever your colouring, black and white isn't a flattering combination. I'd go for some colour, maybe something bright, and a necklace but not go overboard on accessories.

KristinaM Mon 20-Jul-09 20:08:35

what yadda said

callalilies Mon 20-Jul-09 20:12:43

Black, black black black black

But agree bright underneath, cerise pink or something.

hatwoman Mon 20-Jul-09 20:22:32

also agree re the white. I think light beige goes well with black. in fact most colours go well. also a light scarf is good for softening the overall effect

theDreadPirateRoberts Mon 20-Jul-09 21:17:07

Can I wear a scarf in July? Just seems wrong...

hatwoman Mon 20-Jul-09 22:21:44

not sure - you can definitely wear them with t-shirt and jeans - I've even seen them called summer scarves...but the required lightness of scarf material might look all wrong with a suit...maybe jewellery would be better. just ignore me...I know nothing...grin

theDreadPirateRoberts Mon 20-Jul-09 22:28:19

Righto grin

MrsSeanBean Mon 20-Jul-09 22:32:30

Only wear linen if it's anything to do with Planning. In that case, the more crumpled the better.

theDreadPirateRoberts Mon 20-Jul-09 22:38:11

Not planning, no!

FritesMenthe Wed 22-Jul-09 17:26:03

So - what did you wear, and how did the interview go?

theDreadPirateRoberts Wed 22-Jul-09 19:51:30

Um blush - tell you tomorrow - had the day wrong blush

[TF I didn't get as far as turning up this morning)

FritesMenthe Wed 22-Jul-09 20:21:59

grin
Well, good luck for tomorrow then.

hatwoman Thu 23-Jul-09 11:02:11

DPR - hope it went well. I once missed an interview through getting the day wrong. I was in Oxford - the interview was in London. I was convinced it was Thursday. Wednesday morning I got a call asking where I was blush. I was devastated - not so much for the job per se but for making myself look like such an idiot. They still arranged another time for me though. And, after the interview, wanted me to go on to the second round.

theDreadPirateRoberts Thu 23-Jul-09 17:56:21

Thanks hatwoman. Went well, but 'pipped to the post by a fractionally stronger candidate' yada yada. Sigh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now