Talk

Advanced search

I want fals nails or any tips for making mine look better and the polish last longer than a minute or ten

(19 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 18-Jul-09 09:02:52

I haven't got the time or money to go and get my nails filled or whatever there is every few weeks, so I have thought about the false ones I have seen in Boots.

Any tips on what are good ones to try please?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 18-Jul-09 09:03:29

That should be false with an e.

What is wrong with your real nails? Do you bite them? If they are fine I wouldn't go down the false nail road, they don't look very good and wreck your real nails.

My nails are short(ish) and instead of using colour on them I put a clear polish on, so you don't notice the chips as bad.

I can't recommend false ones as haven't used them, hopefully someone will come along.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 18-Jul-09 09:11:51

I don't bite them but at times they snap easily if I catch them on something and I suppose I thought polish would last longer on false ones.

It isn't really practical. I had some a couple of Christmasses ago and one popped off before lunch and they were too long to really do anything.

ComeOVeneer Sat 18-Jul-09 09:14:30

They are rubbish and fall off regularly. If you can't afford professional ones I wouldn't bother. I used to have mine done regualrly but it is a big expense. Now I put a silk wrap protective base coat on, 2 layers of colour and a clear "diamond strength" top coat. I painted mine on Monday and they still look fine, no chips at all.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 18-Jul-09 09:19:07

What is the silk wrap protective base coat?

My cuticles don't look too great either.

stuffitlllama Sat 18-Jul-09 09:21:14

You can use one of those buffer files. They cost about 2 pounds. So even on really short nails you get a high shine without peeling nail varnish. And it looks nicer on short nails if you have a bit of frenchy white at the top just from scraping under.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 18-Jul-09 09:22:28

Do Boots sell buffer files?

Yes Boots should sell the buffers, I got mine from there.

ComeOVeneer Sat 18-Jul-09 09:24:23

It is basically a base coat layer that helps prevent flaking/splitting and also prevents dark nailvarnish staining the nail.

ComeOVeneer Sat 18-Jul-09 09:25:28

The base and top coats are superdrug's own brand but really good.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 18-Jul-09 09:27:36

Oh good, where I am going has a Superdrug and a Boots so I should be able to get what I need.

Thank you

stuffitlllama Sat 18-Jul-09 09:27:38

Yes, there's a range called Miss Manicure or something ghastly, in pink and black packaging. It's a thick foamy file with three or four surfaces, one or two on the top and bottom. You do them all in order and the result is really good.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 18-Jul-09 09:28:08

Thank you stuffitllama.

stuffitlllama Sat 18-Jul-09 09:29:43

I just discovered it so evangelical. Have fun smile

ComeOVeneer Sat 18-Jul-09 09:30:37

Yes those buffers are good. As stuffitlllama
said you work through the different surfaces from coasest to smoothest, it reduces any ridges etc on the nail leaving it nice and smooth with a bit of a shine. Gives a good base to then paint if you want.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 18-Jul-09 14:37:59

Buffer got and base coat got.

DH is planning a drunk and silly night so I might do my nails tomorrow. hmmgrin

BeastQuest Sat 18-Jul-09 14:38:43

my toes last for weeks
lots fo clear on top

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 18-Jul-09 14:40:50

Yes, my toes last better than my finger nails too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now