Talk

Advanced search

a baby clothes question...

(14 Posts)
makipuppy Thu 16-Jul-09 20:11:35

Our boy or girl baby is due end of August. What should I take in for the baby to wear in hospital and coming home?

I wanted plain white cotton sleep suits with feet and long sleeves but everywhere seems to have sold out or have only the velour ones which I think will be too hot.

I've got two suits from babygap but they don't have feet. Any good website recommendations?

I'm ordering some vests. But do I need a hat?

Or am I quite wrong and short sleeve legless suits are de rigueur in the winter?

<lurks woefully unprepared for motherhood>

nightshade Thu 16-Jul-09 20:14:38

i found that in hospital, dd only wore a nappy due to being very warm, occasionally a vest.

coming home she wore a nightgown that was a present, and a hat.

wouldn't really worry too much as i presume you will be getting straight into a car and then straight into the house.

MyCatsABiggerBastardThanYours Thu 16-Jul-09 20:14:45

Just take baby grows, vests, socks and a cardi. 3 of each I took when I had my DC.

They don't need much really.

ladyhelen2 Thu 16-Jul-09 20:17:15

Depends on how long you'll be in. I was only in for one night with DS and went through about 6 outfits with poo accidents, wee accidents and posseting. Try next. They do some fairly plain and neutral sleepsuits.

Sam100 Thu 16-Jul-09 20:21:45

Something like this is handy for hospital when still getting used to dressing a tiny baby see here. Just pop on over their head and pull up for nappy changes.

Don't do what I did and take just one outfit blush - poor dd1 threw up on it after 5 mins and spent the rest of the day in a hospital gown! Had to send dh home to get more clothes!

norktasticninja Thu 16-Jul-09 20:23:01

These plain white cotton sleepsuits are pretty much perfect IMHO.

makipuppy Thu 16-Jul-09 21:29:23

Perfect! Thanks so much!

missmelly Fri 17-Jul-09 08:37:51

I took in one newborn vest for mine, she came out almost 10lb so it fit her like a crop top!
We found the ward so warm that she was in a nappy most of the time, until one of the older midwives came along and asked me why my baby was naked blush

monkeysmama Fri 17-Jul-09 09:07:42

I fretted about all the vest malarky & what dd was supposed to wear when. But you soon realise you can relax-if you need a vest & top baby probably does too. I only took 2 vests, 2 sleepsuits & a going home outfit (a special babygro) but needed another few sleepsuits because we were in for 2 days. Take a nice pair of pjs for you too-I loved having a shower the next day & putting my new piggies on for our photos & visitors! Oh, & don't think your LO is cold because he/she ha cold hands & feet - put your hand on their chest to feel how hot or otherwise they are.

Good luck! Happy times to come!

makipuppy Fri 17-Jul-09 14:24:44

phew, thanks guys. I just zipped out to mcare and bought 2 packs of 3 sleepsuits. They didn't have the right sizes in cotton so I bought terry which looks quite snuggly - I pack for up to 7 pounds and 1 pack for up to 10 pounds. And newborn nappies.

Gawd, I must be having a baby...

sazm Fri 17-Jul-09 23:59:58

i bought plain white stuff from tesco,it was really cheap and washed great,
so glad i bought white,as i was told it was a girl,and we had a boy!!!
they do the smaller size (up to 7.5lb as well as newborn)

stanausauruswrecks Sat 18-Jul-09 09:54:52

I would go for the footless variety. DD came out at 9lb plus, with mahoosive feet, so although babygros fitted length wise, her toes were really cramped. The other thing is that they grow so quickly, you can find that they're out of things in a week, so having no feet gives an extra bit of growth space.

makipuppy Sun 19-Jul-09 08:38:42

Thanks Stan, I bought one footless one, in 0-3 (with some very tiny socks!).

Problem is not knowing how long we'll be in hospital. I'm probably heading for a c-section so might be a few days..

lowrib Sun 19-Jul-09 20:09:01

I didn't realise until my baby was a few weeks old that they're not supposed to sleep in a hat blush (risk of overheating)

So, no hat for the hospital - one for when you go home if you'll be outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now