Talk

Advanced search

just curious - -how should I have dealt with this??

(8 Posts)
LetThemEatCake Wed 15-Jul-09 22:54:08

Sitting outside a shop with the dcs wearing new top. Obviously 30 week bump not as noticeable as it would be if standing.

Woman with 2 dcs walks up, staring. Apologises for staring and explains that she just bought same top. We chat briefly about how nice it is and how nice the shop it came from is.

By the time she comes out, I am standing to get the dcs sorted to go. She notices bump and says "oh! you are using it as a maternity top! Well (starts to sound a bit defensive) I have just had a baby so of course that is why it works on me too ...."

Baby in buggy is at least 8 - maybe 10 months old?? And lady is by no means chunky. And I am by no means svelte. But obviously the fact that I was pg made her FEEL chunky about her purchase.

What should I have done??

ButterbeerAndLemon Wed 15-Jul-09 22:59:55

You could say "Yes, I really bought it planning to wear it next summer after the baby arrives, but I've been lucky not to really pop yet so I'm just about getting away with it this year"

Or "What do you mean, maternity top? I know I could stand to lose a few pounds, but I'm not pregnant..." and burst into tears.

LetThemEatCake Wed 15-Jul-09 23:02:38

LOL Butterbeer!

I was very uncool. Blathered like an idiot, asking her what she'd tried it on with and what things she was planning on wearing it with because it would work as a work top too wouldn't it and just as nice with jeans as with trousers and yes casual or dressy great discount too blah blah blah ... when she was clearly just dying to get away.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Wed 15-Jul-09 23:02:59

She noticed you were pregnant and wanted to coo.

She mentioned her own child so she could bond over motherhood.

It all came out a bit clumsily. I wouldn't read too much into it if I were you.

dexter73 Thu 16-Jul-09 09:31:50

Bet she never wears it again!

Lizzylou Thu 16-Jul-09 09:33:48

I'd have said "Oh I bought it so I could wear it after pregnancy as well, it's so versatile isn't it?"

Or summat.

brimfull Thu 16-Jul-09 09:34:30

link to top please

LetThemEatCake Thu 16-Jul-09 19:35:48

sorry, no link .... bought it from a wee local boutiquey type place. The label is St Martins though, think it's a Scandi label?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now