Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Clothes for 60 plus Mums

(10 Posts)
GrandmaW Mon 13-Jul-09 19:17:17

I'm a 61 year old mum and grandma. Can anyone tell me where I can buy decent clothes that don't make me look like mutton dressed as lamb. I am desperate for some new clothes,(seem to wear the same few things over and over) but just can't see anything to suit, everything seems to be too young or too fuddy duddy. I can't tell you the number of times I have gone shopping for clothes only to come home with nothing. PS My nearest big shopping centre is Merry Hill, so, if anyone knows that any shops there which I should particularly try?
Or in Birmingham?
Suggestions gratefully received!

MrsBadger Mon 13-Jul-09 19:20:55

budget? style? sahm or working?

GrandmaW Mon 13-Jul-09 19:26:35

Style? well, not too way out. I like to wear trousers and skirts, would wear a dress if I could find one. Don't need work clothes so things that are ideal for everyday and/or going out.

Price? Middle of the road

MrsBadger Mon 13-Jul-09 19:32:46

no no not 'I liek to wear trousers and skirts'

are you arty and bohemian? rural and tweedy? tailored and stylish? or stuck in a tracksuit-and-fleece rut?

what is your hair like?

Would you like to look like Judi Dench or like Brenda Blethyn? Or Juliette Binoche?

And does middle of the road mean 'I balk at paying more than £300 for a winter coat' or 'Anything more than £50 is a needless extravagance?'

GrandmaW Mon 13-Jul-09 20:09:46

Certainly not arty and bohemian or rural and tweedy. Would like to be more tailored and stylish but stuck in a jeans and top rut.
Shortish straight hair.
How would I like to look - not sure what Juliette Binoche looks like for a start!
I would balk at paying £300 for a coat but wouldn't mind paying £50 for something if I was going to get plenty of wear out of it.

GrandmaW Tue 14-Jul-09 16:48:56

Bump!! Anyone able to help??

KristinaM Tue 14-Jul-09 18:12:01

grandma - can you post a photo of yourself?

what kind of things do you wear at the moment?

who WOULD you like to look like?

I think we need more information to help you smile

MrsBadger Tue 14-Jul-09 18:59:17

sorry, I was at work...

Gap is good for quite classic things - avoid their too obviously fashiony stuff though

Reiss has some ace stuff, it's like (um) H&M for grownups.

Principles but go carefully

Actually Kew is worth a look - ignore the frilly stuff and look at the well-shaped jumpers etc

NB what size/shape?

rubyslippers Tue 14-Jul-09 19:02:13

Gap jeans

Linea

paul smith - if budget stretches. His shirts are so well tailored

i like this designer malene birger but more £££

naomi83 Tue 14-Jul-09 19:38:00

this dress gets good reveiws from all ages

with a navy short sleeved tshirt

these are lovely in both colours, and reasonably priced

something like this with your jeans for the evenings and when it gets cooler

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now