Talk

Advanced search

Bikinis: Yes, no, and if yes what style?

(11 Posts)
OrmIrian Mon 13-Jul-09 15:54:04

Dh came back from town with a bikini bottom for me. As per usual it has string ties. I have tried telling DH that I object to looking like a string of sausages on the beach but he insists that he has seen somewhere that it is the right style for my body shape. Ha! Ha ha! hmm

What shape is the most concealing flattering for a tall person with hips. Or do I have to beat him over the head until he buys me a one-piece or Victorian bathing costume?

fishie Mon 13-Jul-09 18:44:10

Hippy
Wrong suit: Loose the side strings! Side string bottoms are a no-no for everyone who wants to de-emphasize hips. They actually draw attention to the exact spot that you want to conceal. And don't wear a jazzy print on your bottom half because it draws the eye. You want the world focused on your better half!

Right suit: It's fashion math: add a little something to your bust so it will look more in proportion with your hips. Everyone knows that if you want to add weight, wear a horizontal. A horizontal top will counterbalance a wide hip. Try the nautical stripe — another big trend this season. To subtract from your hips, keep your bottoms simple in a dark solid such as black or navy. And shifting the shape from a classic string bikini to a boy short will give a bit more coverage at the hips. When it comes to swimsuits, every bit counts. Other tips: look terrific in a one-piece with cinching at the waist. Detail at the waist brings the eye away from the hips, and high-cut legs can elongate thighs.

fishie Mon 13-Jul-09 18:44:55

why did he only bring you bottoms anyway? are you going topless?

mrsmaidamess Mon 13-Jul-09 18:46:45

I have bought my very first bikini this year. And I really like it. I am tall, with hips.

It's from <ahem> Primark, a black halter neck tie top with a tortoishell square betwixt the cups.

The bottoms have a smidge of tummy control in them, again are black with the square detail in the hip band.

I really like it. And it was cheap as chips, but a great fit.

SilentBob Mon 13-Jul-09 19:47:47

I too have purchased my very first bikini ever from <ahem even more than MrsMaid...> Asda. grin It's halter neck but with supportive cups (34DD) and the bottoms have a fairly wide band across the top which sits just below my tummy button to hide the paunch (I have a scar over-hang in that area) and contains love handles marvellously! (I am 5ft 9 and a tres, shall we say, curvacious size 14! smile)

OrmIrian Mon 13-Jul-09 21:21:56

fishie - he probably hopes so! But it was just he found them in the sale and liked them. I think they look vile on me. I like the idea of boy shorts (i think)

OrmIrian Mon 13-Jul-09 21:22:18

fishie - he probably hopes so! But it was just he found them in the sale and liked them. I think they look vile on me. I like the idea of boy shorts (i think)

mrsmaidamess Mon 13-Jul-09 21:35:52

I personally don't think boy shorts suit unless you are boyish of hip. If you are curvy I think a pant style is better

SilentBob Tue 14-Jul-09 08:15:10

The bigger the pants, the bigger they make your arse look in reality. However, that doesn't mean we should all be wearing Stringfellow-esque thongs! Boy shorts are amazing on boyish figures but put them anywhere near my size 14 backside and it looks like I have enormo-arse because of the amount of material IYSWIM.

OrmIrian Tue 14-Jul-09 10:58:45

Gagghhh! Now I don't know what to do. I do like the one-piece on Figleaves that someone linked on the other thread.

magda123 Wed 15-Jul-09 11:35:42

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now