Talk

Advanced search

Is it just me or are all these maxi dresses horrid?

(15 Posts)
pinktortoise Fri 10-Jul-09 19:06:23

The shops are full of acres of these billowing tents. I have yet to see anyone wearing one well - or am I wrong??

ThePhantomPlopper Fri 10-Jul-09 19:13:05

I am not a fan of maxi dresses but only because I can't wear them. I ordered one the other day and ended up sending it back, I definitely can't wear them.

Have seen ladies looking great in them though.

Mintyy Fri 10-Jul-09 19:16:01

They just make me feel very old as I remember the grown-ups wearing them, especially halter necks at parties, first time around in the mid 70s.

wahwahwah Fri 10-Jul-09 19:19:30

Very 1970s. Looks like you have no boobs.

BTW - I saw someone wearing jeggings last week. I almost walked into a lamp post. Why would someone wear them? She looked as if she had painted her legs blue (a bit like a smurf really) and drawn pockets onto her bum. Not a good look. She was a bit jiggly too and was teetering in high heels. She almost fell in the middle of the street as she crossed it. I must be getting old.

sarah293 Fri 10-Jul-09 19:29:25

Message withdrawn

Mintyy Fri 10-Jul-09 19:36:14

that is exactly what they are Riven grin

mrsruffallo Fri 10-Jul-09 19:37:02

I loves em

ZZZenAgain Fri 10-Jul-09 19:40:10

ooh I quite fancy a 1970s style halter neck maxi dress.

ZZZenAgain Fri 10-Jul-09 19:44:11

why are they so awful? I haven't seen any, I never have time to go shopping these days.

mrsruffallo Fri 10-Jul-09 19:47:21

This is lovely

minxofmancunia Fri 10-Jul-09 20:00:01

I love them, got 2.

Going for the full on 70s vibe in mine as am 7 months pg but don't care! grin

ZZZenAgain Fri 10-Jul-09 20:02:10

hmm I am googling around looking at some. I suppose they look best on very tall, very thin people but still...

PlumpRumpSoggyBaps Fri 10-Jul-09 20:24:34

I have three. I was wearing one of them in town recently and a woman came up to me, complimented me on it and asked where I got it.

I was shock and blush and grin all at once cos I'm not very fashionable/well-put-together and it's never happened to me before!!

They are lovely for summer if you feel the heat-all floaty and cool breezes around your legs and...etceteras.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Fri 10-Jul-09 21:32:10

I love my maxi. It hides a multitude of sins (cankles ) and I can have a "fashion moment" in a dress without the pain of heels

I wore mine in the Greek Islands a few weeks ago and received several admiring glances (and the envy of my sisters who were with me).......mostly from women struggling to walk along cobbled streets in tighter dress/skirts and high heels with even a modicum of ease! Wore it on school run today and was asked by several mums where said dress purchased from.

I must admit though that I bought this particular dress 3 summers ago.....the first year I wore it only once (felt abit like wandering around in my nightie) but absolutely adore it now.

sherby Fri 10-Jul-09 21:33:19

I love them

Some lovely ones in TK a couple of weeks ago

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now