Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Is it just me or are all these maxi dresses horrid?

(15 Posts)
pinktortoise Fri 10-Jul-09 19:06:23

The shops are full of acres of these billowing tents. I have yet to see anyone wearing one well - or am I wrong??

ThePhantomPlopper Fri 10-Jul-09 19:13:05

I am not a fan of maxi dresses but only because I can't wear them. I ordered one the other day and ended up sending it back, I definitely can't wear them.

Have seen ladies looking great in them though.

Mintyy Fri 10-Jul-09 19:16:01

They just make me feel very old as I remember the grown-ups wearing them, especially halter necks at parties, first time around in the mid 70s.

wahwahwah Fri 10-Jul-09 19:19:30

Very 1970s. Looks like you have no boobs.

BTW - I saw someone wearing jeggings last week. I almost walked into a lamp post. Why would someone wear them? She looked as if she had painted her legs blue (a bit like a smurf really) and drawn pockets onto her bum. Not a good look. She was a bit jiggly too and was teetering in high heels. She almost fell in the middle of the street as she crossed it. I must be getting old.

sarah293 Fri 10-Jul-09 19:29:25

Message withdrawn

Mintyy Fri 10-Jul-09 19:36:14

that is exactly what they are Riven grin

mrsruffallo Fri 10-Jul-09 19:37:02

I loves em

ZZZenAgain Fri 10-Jul-09 19:40:10

ooh I quite fancy a 1970s style halter neck maxi dress.

ZZZenAgain Fri 10-Jul-09 19:44:11

why are they so awful? I haven't seen any, I never have time to go shopping these days.

mrsruffallo Fri 10-Jul-09 19:47:21

This is lovely

minxofmancunia Fri 10-Jul-09 20:00:01

I love them, got 2.

Going for the full on 70s vibe in mine as am 7 months pg but don't care! grin

ZZZenAgain Fri 10-Jul-09 20:02:10

hmm I am googling around looking at some. I suppose they look best on very tall, very thin people but still...

PlumpRumpSoggyBaps Fri 10-Jul-09 20:24:34

I have three. I was wearing one of them in town recently and a woman came up to me, complimented me on it and asked where I got it.

I was shock and blush and grin all at once cos I'm not very fashionable/well-put-together and it's never happened to me before!!

They are lovely for summer if you feel the heat-all floaty and cool breezes around your legs and...etceteras.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Fri 10-Jul-09 21:32:10

I love my maxi. It hides a multitude of sins (cankles ) and I can have a "fashion moment" in a dress without the pain of heels

I wore mine in the Greek Islands a few weeks ago and received several admiring glances (and the envy of my sisters who were with me).......mostly from women struggling to walk along cobbled streets in tighter dress/skirts and high heels with even a modicum of ease! Wore it on school run today and was asked by several mums where said dress purchased from.

I must admit though that I bought this particular dress 3 summers ago.....the first year I wore it only once (felt abit like wandering around in my nightie) but absolutely adore it now.

sherby Fri 10-Jul-09 21:33:19

I love them

Some lovely ones in TK a couple of weeks ago

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: