Talk

Advanced search

What cut should I ask for for really wavy hair...?

(12 Posts)
MrsSeanBean Thu 09-Jul-09 17:54:35

For example: if I wash my hair and go to bed (i.e. do nothing, bar except apply a little serum) I have ringlets the next morning.

I feel I need more layers though, as the 'underside' of my hair is always curlier/ wavier than the topside. (Without wishing to sound like a cut of beef!)

I do like to style straigher sometimes though and don't like the wispy/ thin on the ends look.

What, in hairdresser 'speak' should I be asking for? Or should I just repeat what I have typed above and hope they also understand 'normal' language? (They always go on about 'texture'... 'product'... weight etc and I am never exactly sure what this means in real life (on a real head).

Any tips, especially from fellow curly haired Mners, v welcome.

pinktortoise Thu 09-Jul-09 18:27:35

Hmmm...in my experience never have it cut shortish as it just curls up even more and then just has to be ghd'd all the time to look vaguely nice! Have tried long layers but didn't really like having all different lengths. Ended up with all one length and just a shorter layer around the face (chin length)as important to be able to tie back!!

muddlinleigh Fri 10-Jul-09 14:16:01

I have hair just like yours. Spent years fighting with it, trying to wear my hair one length and straight. About 5 years ago I got it layered (about 3/4 the length of the underneathy bits) and haven't looked back since, I wash it, put on a dab of curl enhancer and leave it and have lovely loose ringlets. It also straightens nicely as the layers aren't too short although I'm too lazy and rubbish at blow drying to bother much.

I have very fine hair but masses of it and always ask the hairdresser to take the weight out of it which avoids the dreaded triangle/mushroom look.

fluffles Fri 10-Jul-09 14:21:26

your top layer will be dryer than your underside and that is why it is more straight, if you want to wear it curly you need to really really moisturise the top layer lots and lots. it takes the brunt of the sun and wind and styling.

cut back on how often you use shampoo (every second 'wash' i actually just use water and conditioner).

personally i found that trying to find a cut that works well for curly and straight is just impossible i now wear my hair curly all the time and have a cut to suit that and deep condition the top layer a lot. i have some layers now but not too short and the ends are cut to sit nicely over my shoulders rather than 'square' at the bottom.

and finally, find a hairdresser who has wavy hair - it makes all the difference, i wont allow anybody who has used straighteners to cut my hair.

fluffles Fri 10-Jul-09 14:23:29

www.amazon.co.uk/Curly-Girl-Lorraine-Massey/dp/0761123008/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

www.amazon.co.uk/Curl-Talk-34/dp/0609808370/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a

both good.

MrsSeanBean Sat 11-Jul-09 08:11:34

Some great suggestions here thanks! I have been offline for a bit so apologies for not returning to the thread sooner.

muddlinleigh - I also have quite fine hair and loads of it, but am nervous about asking for the weight to be taken out as that has, in the past, resulted in a rather thin/straggly look..?

mrsmaidamess Sat 11-Jul-09 08:27:20

Mrs Sb I think the cut is important but so is how you dry it. Do you use a diffuser? It might put some volume back.

I have thick wavy hair if left natural after a wash. but upon waking the next day its pancake flat. So I wet it and spray curl enhancer and it reinvigorates it a bit.

I am using more product than when I wore it straigthened and spiky but it suits my hair more. There is some good stuff called Umberto Gianni Curl revivier (boots) that seems to work for me. My (gorgeous) hairdresser razor cuts the ends of mine too, to avoid clumpage.

MrsSeanBean Sat 11-Jul-09 08:34:10

I used to diffuse it MrsM, but hair seems too thick to get the right effect nowadays. If I wash and leave to dry it goes into a very fine ringlety effect, looks quite 'big hair' look but in a fine and wild kind of way, rather than a chunky 'together' way.

I once had a cut where it was 'graduated' through the sides so the weight was sort of angled towards the back, but no hairdresser ever since has known what I was on about - one once told me that 'graduation could only be done on a bob', where it was sort of shorter at the back - a la 'pob' (def not what I want!!)

I find it very difficult to communicate with hairdressers - they literally seem to speak a different language (i.e. 'gradutaion' being a case in poiunt!) and I never know if what they are on about equates to what I have in mind.

PerfectPrefect Sat 11-Jul-09 08:41:42

I have this haircut as prompted by a MN thread.

My hair would - when left go into tight ringlets underneath but was barely wavey on top because of the extra weight. I braved this DIY haircut and now can either wear it curly throughout; or I can straighten for a trendy straight cut too. In fact I tend to wash my hair and put some heat defense curl enhhancer on, and scrunch it for day 1. Then straighten for Day 2/3 and then wash day 4 and start again.

I didn't cut quite as short as in the clip. My ponytail stub was probably still 5+cm

mrsmaidamess Sat 11-Jul-09 08:43:23

Come and se my (gorgeous) hairdresser. He really knows what to do. And he has really big hands.

MrsSeanBean Sat 11-Jul-09 09:19:08

How much time do you spend at the hairdresser MrsM?!

mrsmaidamess Sat 11-Jul-09 13:29:39

Not as much as I would like!.

He blow dried my hair last time. I LOATHE having my hair dried by anyone. But he did the most beautiful job, I kept swishing my head about feeling dead glam.

It made me want to be one of those posh ladies who have it done once a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now