Talk

Advanced search

I know it's a bit early but 'Good Coats'. Where?

(10 Posts)
DrEvil Thu 09-Jul-09 17:20:52

I am 31, size 12 and in my whole life I have never found a good warm, waterproof, chic coat suitable for toddler wrangling and going out and about.

This is the year!

I have decided to spend some real money on something which will do the job as I'm going back to university and will be spending at least 40mins per day walking up and down to university.

I want it to be knee length and waterproof above all - where oh where should I look?

My precious Boden have some nice coats on their preview site but if they're wool etc surely they can't be waterproof? Or am I going to have to think coat + brolly? I don't really fancy another anorack/ski jacket style thing.

Thanks for any advice!

Simples Thu 09-Jul-09 17:21:25

too early

gavel

ThePhantomPlopper Thu 09-Jul-09 17:29:55

I'd come back in a month when the shops start rolling out the Autumn/Winter ranges, can't find anything online ATM.

DrEvil Thu 09-Jul-09 17:34:37

I was thinking more of shop recommendations: I am going to try Boden, Hobbs, Whistles, Karen Millen on ebay to have a look at what sort of things they do but am not really au fait with the old smart shops.

naomi83 Thu 09-Jul-09 19:41:26

Landsend for coats with hoods

OllieWollieWoo Thu 09-Jul-09 20:10:23

Warm, waterproof and chic? I have long given up on meeting any chic criteria and have one a bit like this: here

You can't beat it for warmth and v practical - and looks better on than off! Honest!
If I want chic, I go for a woollen coat and forego the need to be waterproof! But maybe this is the year of the perfect coat that ticks all the boxes????

modrin Thu 09-Jul-09 20:32:32

i really like my magenta coloured coat i bought in the Boden sale the other day i dont do coats with hoods but this one is just the job funky and waterproof i dont think it is chic though tbh

MrsBadger Thu 09-Jul-09 21:07:10

yy Land's End

wait for their Delancey Coat thus (or whatever they're calling it in the UK this year) to hit the UK site

tis not actually chic as such but is warm, waterproof and certainly not sportswear

start saving now

the alternative is to get a rain hat (the Boden ones are remarkably passable but one the same shape with a fleece inner would be warmer) and wear with a wool coat - the wool is naturally pretty water repellent if you get a tight weave.

DrEvil Fri 10-Jul-09 18:27:08

I might well have to forgo waterproof then and get a hat or a brolly then as I'd really like a smart coat. I've lived in a North Face bright pink bodywarmer for the last couple of years (complete with child-snot stains).

Love the Marlebone Coat on the Boden Priview site so I will have to start saving my 10p coins.

BodenGroupie Fri 10-Jul-09 21:02:22

Zara usually have nice ones - more macs than coats though. I think real Europeans do the keeping warm and dry thing much better than us - we always seem surprised when it rains!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now