Talk

Advanced search

Fascinators - nice or naff?

(24 Posts)
Gloria42 Wed 08-Jul-09 21:28:50

I'm going to a wedding on Friday and thought I was sorted for my outfit. My brother was married in Spetember but this wedding is a totally different crowd so was planning to wear the same outfit, lovely silk grecian style knee length mocha/bronze dress with fascinator in coffee n cream.
However, the last couple of days I've seen loads of negative comments abuot fasciniators on threads here, are they really that bad? Am I totally uncool sad?

MrsMattie Wed 08-Jul-09 21:29:33

I would never wear one.

janeite Wed 08-Jul-09 21:32:01

Naff. They look like dead birds. Unless you are tall and slim and utterly, astonishingly beautiful.

Gloria42 Wed 08-Jul-09 21:32:04

Why?
Thing is, I have a REALLY big head so no hats fit me!

TheProvincialLady Wed 08-Jul-09 21:34:05

Sorry but they are grim. They may be fascinating, but in a really bad way.

TheProvincialLady Wed 08-Jul-09 21:35:06

Just get your hair done ultra fab and don't spoil it with loads of cheap feathers deely bopping all over it.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 08-Jul-09 21:36:26

Your outfit sounds gorgeous. I think fascinators were particularly popular a few yrs ago so now some ppl think of them as passé but if it suits you and looks good with the outfit then who cares? I'm going to wear a pashmina to a wedding on sat and am aware they have a similar status...

Ewe Wed 08-Jul-09 21:38:15

Naff, just don't wear anything on your head, no necessary!

HolyGuacamole Wed 08-Jul-09 21:38:38

I don't really like fascinators but I have made them before for other people. I think they're a bit 'come dancing'.

Gloria42 Wed 08-Jul-09 21:42:29

Oh dear, just uploaded a photo so you could judge. Not only is there a fascinator, but a pashmina too!!! It was a rainy September day!!!!

smurfgirl Wed 08-Jul-09 21:50:07

I really like them smile

You looked lovely and it all goes well.

HolyGuacamole Wed 08-Jul-09 21:53:21

You look really lovely in the pic, love the colour of the dress and it goes well with the pashmina.

That wee boy steals the photo though, he's gorgeous! smile

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 08-Jul-09 21:54:53

Beautiful, lovely outfit, you look fab

MIAonline Wed 08-Jul-09 21:55:45

I went to a wedding recently and there were some very stylish, funky women wearing fascinators that were fantastic. I have seen some terrible ones though, but I think that is more how you wear them iyswim.

crankytwanky Wed 08-Jul-09 21:55:45

I like them too!

A good excuse to wear something "dressing-upy" smile

Gloria42 Wed 08-Jul-09 22:07:51

Phew, glad there were some positive responses - it's a bit late now for shopping!

HolyG, thanks, that's my DS who was pageboy [smile

bigspender30 Wed 08-Jul-09 22:22:58

If you like wearing it then wear it. I cant stand the things and I feel daft even trying them on in the shop but thats just me.
I wore a flower in my hair to a wedding this year.

janeite Thu 09-Jul-09 19:45:15

Well having seen your pic, I have changed my mind. You look lovely and it doesn't look like a dead bird at all. Wear it with pride!

I still don't like them though. wink

Simples Thu 09-Jul-09 19:45:56

naff
although saw a COOL hat in marks
if you were col
hold on

Simples Thu 09-Jul-09 19:47:02

i think this would look great on a certain type ot woman - dark or indie

jemart Fri 17-Jul-09 19:25:37

I like fascinators and pashminas too.
But then by MN standards I am the height of naffness......

Don't be a sheep, if you like it and think it suits you, go for it!

jemart Fri 17-Jul-09 19:27:56

Lovely pic, your little boy looks so cute in that kilt!

Podrick Fri 17-Jul-09 19:32:50

I think fascinators are great at weddings
Easier to wear than a hat
Obviously it is possible to wear one and look terrible but the ones at the wedding I went to in July all looked great

Feelingforty Fri 17-Jul-09 20:04:52

I think you look gorgeous in your photo.

I also LOVE pashminas. I'm off to a wedding in August & will be wearing a pashmina AND a fascinator hair slide thingy..at least I think I will !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now