Talk

Advanced search

Arghhh please help me with 'posh' clothes advice!

(36 Posts)
janeite Wed 08-Jul-09 21:02:38

Can't say too much without outing myself but dd1 (14) and I are going to an 'event' soon which will require Dressing Up. Think cocktail dresses or modern prom-style, rather than ball gowns I think. The clothes also have to survive a train journey.

I have a black satin-ish skirt and a corset-type (but pretty and flattering, not tarty) that I think will do, although I could do with a top of some sort to go over it.

What on earth can dd wear though? She is tall - 5'7-8 and very, very slim but with quite broad shoulders. Light brown hair and green eyes. She would look great in a bin bag I imagine - which is about the budget we have!

Shops she buys things from: Gap, H and M, Topshop, Oasis, Warehouse. Shops she aspires to - Chloe, Westwood, Ted Baker, Coast.

Any ideas - as cheap as poss please!

janeite Wed 08-Jul-09 21:20:48

Pretty please?

janeite Wed 08-Jul-09 21:57:25

Oh please, please, please

let me, let me, let me

get what I want, this time.

My lovely dd needs your help!

frAKKINPannikin Wed 08-Jul-09 22:03:25

Try Monsoon - they do very nice prom dresses. Alternatively Debenhams can be good. With broad shoulders I would avoid halternecks and strapless dresses.

H&M can be fabulous!

Is it an evening do?

Jackstini Wed 08-Jul-09 22:05:33

I have bought a few Ted Baker things on ebay recently - brand new at very reasonable prices. (<25 quid) Have a look on there?

Jackstini Wed 08-Jul-09 22:07:03

Also where are you? Maybe try an outlet place - e.g. Bicester Village has Monsoon and Karen Millen at great prices

purlease Wed 08-Jul-09 22:08:13

I've managed to find some great stuff in TKMaxx but it is very hit and miss

Lulubee Wed 08-Jul-09 22:10:51

Seriously, what is your budget? Without having something to go on we can't start looking! You're lucky that there are LOTS of sales on ATM.

Lulubee Wed 08-Jul-09 22:13:40

this is rather nice perhaps?

janeite Wed 08-Jul-09 22:15:53

Thanks all.

Evening do, yes. Am in Birmingham, so all high street shops available. Will need to get it this weekend. Her pic is on my profile (the tall one!). She has a beautiful silk twenties style dress but it is far too short now.

Budget - argh - no more than 50 squid max, cheaper if poss, as she will probably never wear it again and is likely to need shoes too. Even better if you can find something that will do for this but that is simple enough to wear to parties etc afterwards.

janeite Wed 08-Jul-09 22:17:02

Ooh yes - that cream one is nice but I suspect she is too skinny for strappy things like that! A nice skirt and top would do too.

Lulubee Wed 08-Jul-09 22:20:21

God she's got legs I'd kill for. Is is wrong to be jealous of a 14 year old? grin

So if that dress is too strappy would something with a bit more 'cover' up top be better? Cap sleeves maybe? I think with her legs she'd be mad to want to cover them up, and also young girls in long dresses look a bit ridiculous IMO - like they're dressing up in mummy's frocks...

oranges Wed 08-Jul-09 22:24:28

lots here on sale

janeite Wed 08-Jul-09 22:24:32

Cap sleeves better - and yes to showing the legs as they are damn good legs! Her silk dress barely covers her knickers now though and she has to get across town by herself to meet me so I don't want the new dress to be toooooooo short!

janeite Wed 08-Jul-09 22:25:22

Thanks the ASOS link. I want to get it in town though, so we can try it on/buy/sorted!

Lulubee Wed 08-Jul-09 22:27:35

Ahh. I just found a lovely one from Oli, I will post it anyway

here

janeite Wed 08-Jul-09 22:29:08

Link just goes to main page!

We have just about every shop I think - so should be able to get something without resorting to online.

Lulubee Wed 08-Jul-09 22:31:27

This is a nice one from Debs but as it's in the sale it's debatable whether you'll get it in the shop...

et voila

Lulubee Wed 08-Jul-09 22:32:07

You can try though, Debenhams usually have quite a good formal wear selection...

janeite Wed 08-Jul-09 22:35:06

V nice shape but I suspect the colour would wash her out. It looks like Debenhams might have a few possibilities though, if anything is left in store in the sale.

Thanks for your help. Am off to bed now but may bump this tomorrow!

EachPeachPearMum Wed 08-Jul-09 22:41:14

What about that gorgeous white dress from M&S.... the model was about 12 IIRC...

EachPeachPearMum Wed 08-Jul-09 22:44:49

Oh and if you want it... I have the most faulous Karen Millen cocktail dress you could borrow..... certainly could try on....

janeite Thu 09-Jul-09 19:39:36

Thanks for the offer. I'm sorted for me. DD is probably between a 6 and an 8 but I suspect rather taller than you!

I'm going to take her to town for a girly mooch on Saturday. If we don't find anything, will send a panic-filled email on Saturday night!

She doesn't like the lovely white one.

EachPeachPearMum Thu 09-Jul-09 21:23:08

Well... DD's cousin is a 6/8 and is a teenager... so if we have to.... grin She is a bit of a clothes horse too IYKWIM.

TKMaxx is usually good for scouting- often have great prom type things...

Am v intrigued as to what the event might be though... so email me anyway!

janeite Thu 09-Jul-09 22:38:45

You have mail....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now