Talk

Advanced search

Can skinny jeans look good if you are not skinny?

(20 Posts)
MrsSeanBean Wed 08-Jul-09 19:12:20

Or if you are larger than size 8/10 does it defeat the general object...?!

LyraSilvertongue Wed 08-Jul-09 19:14:23

As long as you've got skinny legs. If you've got a fat arse and thunder thighs you're not gonna look good.

cornsilk Wed 08-Jul-09 19:15:04

Depends on your general body proportions.

KingRolo Wed 08-Jul-09 19:16:44

Yes, up to size 14 if you are tall (5' 6" and over I'd say) and have thin legs.

Most people look better in straight leg or bootcut though.

hoxtonchick Wed 08-Jul-09 19:17:29

i look marvellous in skinny jeans & am a size 16 . i do have long skinny legs though, & invariably wear them with long tops.

mrsmaidamess Wed 08-Jul-09 19:17:46

If you wear a longish top you are fine. I reckon. And strut as if you couldn't care less.

GreenMonkies Wed 08-Jul-09 19:28:14

No.

Never.

Very few people actually look good in skinny jeans, and why anyone thinks footless tights/leggings hide thunder thighs and podgey knees and mean they can wear very short skirts is a mystery to me!

(I have chunky thighs and chubby knees, and a full length mirror, so I wear boot cut jeans and long skirts)

mrsmaidamess Wed 08-Jul-09 19:29:31

I am not skinny but I look adorable in mine. So there

Tidey Wed 08-Jul-09 19:32:07

There are some very large mothers at DS's school who waddle along in skinny jeans and look utterly ridiculous. I'm by no means skinny myself, but they actually look pained and have trouble walking. Put it this way - if you're going to have the seam marks embedded and etched onto your legs for weeks after wearing them, you should probably avoid them.

TutTutter Wed 08-Jul-09 19:35:42

no

<gavel>

mrsmaidamess Wed 08-Jul-09 19:36:22

It's all about what you reckon is skinny, non?

KingRolo Wed 08-Jul-09 19:40:41

Well, anything above 8 is definitely not skinny.

But, a short size 8 with chunky thighs might look bigger than a tall size 12 with thin thighs so it's all relative innit?

mrsmaidamess Wed 08-Jul-09 19:47:36

Well in that case I stand by my view that skinnies can look good on non skinnies (but not chubbies)

GreenMonkies Wed 08-Jul-09 23:01:05

Yes Mrsmaidamess, you don't have to be Kate Moss/Jodie Kidd, but if you have chunky legs, especially thighs/knees, skinny jeans (and footless tights/leggings with short skirts) are a bog no-no! Size is relative, as KingROlo says, I am 5'6" and a size 12, but my thighs are too big for skinny jeans, but I look great in boot cut jeans, so it's not about what dress size you are, but how you are built.

And whilst we are on the subject, low-rise skinny jeans; if there's a better recipe for carrot legs and muffin tops I don't know it!!!! shudder

TheScatterGunApproach Mon 13-Jul-09 07:25:00

Hm. Pre-baby I was a curvy size 12 but went to the gym 5 times a week so had no rolls and I looked ok in skinny jeans (I think!) One baby and one muffin top later I will never wear them again.

Think it's about body tone rather than size.

VietnameseCobbler Mon 13-Jul-09 09:03:02

i think it depends on your body shape.leg elngth , hips etc , you can just say yes or no
I like the Top shop marthas for everyday - kind of a half way house

traceybath Mon 13-Jul-09 09:09:15

Agree with VC - the marthas are fab from TS. I so wish they'd done some white ones this summer.

I know a lot on MN find white jeans naff but i love them - have to unleash that inner liz hurley.

VietnameseCobbler Mon 13-Jul-09 09:11:36

I love htem
have about three pairs of long and teh same of crop
two white shorts etc

traceybath Mon 13-Jul-09 09:15:50

White jeans are my secret obsession - i also have 2 pairs of skinny ones and some next ankle grazer ones which are pretty nice.

Of course am having a baby next week so they're not getting much wear at the moment!

Also have purchased a white denim skirt from gap for post-baby.

VietnameseCobbler Mon 13-Jul-09 09:17:00

yes oh yes have a white heavy cotton mini from kew that i ADORE

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now