Talk

Advanced search

Size 16-18, really bad stretchmarks (think lion attack) - shall I get a bikini for summer holiday?

(12 Posts)
LadyOfWaffle Wed 08-Jul-09 11:48:00

I haven't worn one in years, not even a swim suit on the beach but I don't want to be splashing around in board shorts and a top all summer! I have seen underwired at simplybe , and when not swimming /sunbathing I'd be wearing a kaftan... or should I keep it hidden? blush

aGalChangedHerName Wed 08-Jul-09 11:49:57

Wear a bikini with good coverage pants? I would and do wear a bikini and i was a 16-18 too. Go for it!!!

MadameCastafiore Wed 08-Jul-09 11:52:27

Go to Speedo and buy one of their fab swimming costumes - they make you look like the special K girl!

LadyOfWaffle Wed 08-Jul-09 11:57:34

I have a great swimsuit that holds in the rolls, and I have seen underwired strapless at simplebe (to fill in horrible strap marks grin) but I am sick of pastie belly aswell The bottoms of the ones I've seen are slightly short like...

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Wed 08-Jul-09 13:26:38

I have worn a bikini since having my DCs when I have varied between a size 18 and a size 8, together with "lion attack" stretchmarks (love that description btw ).

Wear what you want to wear. I wear a bikini on the beach/poolside on holiday and also when tanned at the outdoor pool at our gym. For splashing around in pool rest of year with DCs then I resort to a one-piece.

I have just returned from a lovely holiday in Greece. The most significant observation I can offer on this topic is that very few women have the "perfect beach body". In an entire week, I only saw 1 woman who had that stretchmark-free/cellulite-free/ultra-toned body. Everyone else varied from petite to curvacious with a myriad of imperfections. I am sure there are women who spend their time on the beach being Ms Judgey Knickers about everyone else and their attire/body but frankly they need a life!

Purchase a bikini you feel fab in (great colour and supportive but please don't go for humungous pants - they will make your ar*se look the size of Australasia). Take a deep breath and focus on having fun with DCs and DP/DH

Rant over!!

elsiepiddock Wed 08-Jul-09 13:29:23

If you feel happy in a bikini - go for it.

I haven't got stretchmarks, but I have got a slightly tragic 'mummy' belly (think Julia Roberts in recent bikini shot) and I still wear a bikini.

belgo Wed 08-Jul-09 13:32:02

I'm a size 14 with stretchmarks and there is no way I would ever wear a bikini. A well cut one piece swim suit will look far more flattering.

tattycoram Wed 08-Jul-09 14:31:34

Buy a bikini

Seriously. I had two weeks in Greece (We went to Parga and loved it MrsJohnSimm, so thanks for the recommendation).

I had chucked out all my bikinis after DS's birth so I only had swimsuits with me. I really regretted it - imo wearing a one piece doesn't make you look any slimmer and there were women with all sorts of body shapes in bikinis. No one gives a monkeys and a tan will make you feel much better about your stretchmarks too (mine are dreadful too btw)

LadyOfWaffle Wed 08-Jul-09 14:34:26

THanks I have lost weight too so it's all wrinkly shock Oh well, I'll get a nice bikini and some kaftans grin

Simples Wed 08-Jul-09 14:41:18

im with JOHN SIMM
if they are so bad then bung a vest on top for when you are playing frisbee or whenever

then youll forget nad not givvvadam

wifeofdoom Wed 08-Jul-09 16:34:58

I have these lion marks - love the expression, and the wrinkly skin (does this disappear or does it stay forever and ever?). Have a lovely 1 piece from bravissimo with hold it all in panels and hoiks norks up to chin. Deffp recommended. I don't bikini personally but don't see why not, as long as you won'#t spend the whole time being paranoid that people are staring!

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Wed 08-Jul-09 22:47:11

<<thread hijack alert>> glad you had a good time Tattycoram . Tis a beautiful part of the world and am planning to return there myself next year . Just back from Skiathos and heading off to Halkidiki in 3 weeks....I have retsina withdrawal already

Lady of Waffle - my tum is wrinkly too. Agree with Simples, sling on your kaftan or vest/t-shirt for running around after DCs but don't let the idea of beach-based body fascists pressure you into hiding your gorgeous bod . Be confident and that is what people will notice - not how perfect your skin is or isnt I promise you, when your tummy is tanned you will feel more confident anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now