Talk

Advanced search

**EPIC** ingrown hair - help please

(31 Posts)
StayFrosty Tue 07-Jul-09 22:05:35

I have just evicted a beast of an ingrown hair from the front of my calf. I thought that I had a boil or a spot or had been bit by something horrible, but on investigation tonight it proved to be a hair, so I pricked it with a sterile needle and squeezed it out, along with the half a pint of pus it was festering in. However, I now have a massive angry red lump on the front of my leg which is still weeping clear stuff.

I get married a week on Thursday and it is just below the hemline of my dress. What should I put on it to make it better before this deadline? Up to press I have applied tea tree oil, and I have the following at my disposal:

aforementioned tea tree oil

sudacrem

calendula cream

arnica cream

aqueous calamine lotion

Or should I resign myself to the fact that not only will I be 30 weeks pg at my wedding, I will either resemble a bubonic plague survivor or be wearing opaque tights in the middle of July?

halp please.

Wilkiepedia Tue 07-Jul-09 22:07:21

Sudacrem

PerfectPrefect Tue 07-Jul-09 22:09:53

Savlon/germolene or similar to discourage any bugs.

A basic red patch will disappear of it's own accord as long as it is not infected...so avoiding/treating/preventing infection is hte key IMO.

You could also try those fast healing plaster things which I have silver(I think) in to heal the broken skin part of it?

Dalrymps Tue 07-Jul-09 22:10:02

Well, I find savlon works really well at healing things quicker, you could always dab a bit on concealer on it on the day...

girlandboy Tue 07-Jul-09 22:11:34

Vodka

Had one myself but in a rather more intimate area.blush Hair sprang out and was about 2 inches long. Afraid it took quite a while for the redness to go.

woodenchair Tue 07-Jul-09 22:12:11

Of those the sudocream, you need something antiseptic.

Congrats on getting married btw

twoluvlykids Tue 07-Jul-09 22:18:08

tcp

I once had one of those, it was tightly curled up like a little fist. left a cavity crater hole which took a long time to heal

try the plasters with the silver, they weren't around when i had mine

StayFrosty Tue 07-Jul-09 22:18:37

So something antisepticky then pretty much everyone thinks? I am in a tizz cos ingrown hairs seem to leave a dark noticeable v unsightly mark on me for aaaaages after they have gone.

Had forgotten about those superfast healing plasters, will investigate those tomorrow....

I just know if I attempt any make up trickery I will merely enhance the problem. I expect. I am a bit cackhanded really.

Am self conscious enough really cos I am massive for 30 weeks by all accounts, and have SPD which has given me a v unflattering shuffling zombie/waddling duck with piles gait. This leg boil just completes the look really.

Thanks everyone, will go and dab some sudacrem on it and try and work out what I have done to make god hate me so much.

twoluvlykids Tue 07-Jul-09 22:19:00

congrats on wedding and pg!

suwoo Tue 07-Jul-09 22:21:26

How long was it?

<<curious>>

BitOfFun Tue 07-Jul-09 22:23:14

Something called Tendskin is miraculous- big branches of Boots do it (I get mine off eBay) and it takes all the redness and swelling down. Give it a google, honestly.

StayFrosty Tue 07-Jul-09 22:24:13

Suwoo, it must have been at least 1.5 cm long. shock And yes, I did straighten it out on the bit of tissue to verify this. I was amazed tbh. I stopped short of showing dp though.

Beachcomber Tue 07-Jul-09 22:30:15

Congrats and try lavender oil for blemish.

Works miracles IME.

PerfectPrefect Tue 07-Jul-09 22:35:18

you could try one of these on your big day if it is still red.

No-one would notice grin

StayFrosty Tue 07-Jul-09 22:37:26

<back from google> Tendskin does sound amazing, so I just ordered some from Amazon. I hope it works.

mrsmaidamess Tue 07-Jul-09 22:39:05

Never mind congrats on the wedding.

Congrats on squeezing that hair out.

I wish I could have seen it <wierdo emotion>

StayFrosty Tue 07-Jul-09 22:40:04

lol perfect, I might as well, I couldn't look any worse than I already will I expect. Fortunately there will only be dp, dd and a couple of witnesses there, and I didn't think I'd care what I looked like at all tbh, but I guess I have a bit of bridezilla in me after all.

StayFrosty Tue 07-Jul-09 22:43:17

Mrsmaidamess, it was really quite satisfying, it kind of made a 'splick' type noise. I have had big ingrown hairs before but this truly was a behemoth. The aftermath is never pretty though.

mrsmaidamess Tue 07-Jul-09 22:44:39

My dh gets them on his jaw. Coo I love it when they pop out. I'm a sicko.

StayFrosty Tue 07-Jul-09 22:48:43

Curiously enough, when I did it I did think about a recent thread on here about people's unnatural love for spot squeezing. Because although it was painful and is quite unsightly I possibly found it more enjoyable than is healthy. grin

suwoo Wed 08-Jul-09 07:30:23

I've never had one, although it must be grim, there must be a very satisfying element to removing it. grin

geordieminx Wed 08-Jul-09 08:46:45

I always use witch hazel on spots and ingrown hairs

nessus Wed 08-Jul-09 09:00:43

I am pleased more and more are starting to find out about TENDSKIN. As a young dancer in the late 90s, it was to be found in every single kit in the dressing room. Great for ingrown, razor bumps, bruises (safe to use on kids) and even acne scars!

Cheapest to buy from US ebay

MadameCastafiore Wed 08-Jul-09 09:06:23

Stick one of those little spot plasters over it the flesh coloured ones - a lady at DSs school uses them on her face and they are almost onperceptable so you wouldn't see it on your leg!

weegiemum Wed 08-Jul-09 09:10:49

I'd try the plasters with silver. Never used them, but in my last pg got a nasty leg ulcer that was treated with normal dressings - no good, just got worse. Then with silver dressings - the whole thing was gone within days, I just have a tiny scar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now