Talk

Advanced search

Need a beautiful black dress

(28 Posts)
giraffescantdancethetango Sun 05-Jul-09 20:12:20

One of my school friends is getting married, her cousins and sister are being bridesmaids. However she has asked my other friend and I to be ushers - and would like us to wear a black dress with a sash around the waist the same colour as the bridesmaids dresses to show we are part of the wedding party.

We are allowed to pick our own black dresses so...what style do you think? Am not sure whats appropriate?

shhhh Sun 05-Jul-09 20:38:03

how much do you have to spend..?

You look like you have a lovely figure <had a sneeky peek blush>

I have this french connection dress...1st in black then just got in cream for a wedding last weekend.

The fit is amazing and so flattering and imo a lovely dress for a wedding:will add link once found

can I add (changing subject) had a nosey at your profile...sorry to read about what you have experienced...you have amazing strength smile. x

shhhh Sun 05-Jul-09 20:40:10

can't find it on FC website but as shown here and cheaper.

Its a lovely fit btw. Not "fitted" unless wanted and gives a lovely profile.smile

gigglewitch Sun 05-Jul-09 20:43:44

how lovely Girraffes smile
as i 'know' what you look like, you would look fantastic even in this! grin
now that aside, can you answer shhhs questions about budget and stuff? wink

missblythe Sun 05-Jul-09 20:44:26

Do you like this?

www.notonthehighstreet.com/anusha/product/olivia_lace_dress_in_currant_and_teal

Would look great with a contrasting sash, and you could fasten it with a vintage-y brooch.

shhhh Sun 05-Jul-09 20:47:03

lol gigglewitch grin.

mb, thats lovely..however would never suit me at 4ft 11 sad. Oh how I wish I had the legs..<dreams>

shhhh Sun 05-Jul-09 20:48:04

gcdtt, length preferred..? long/short..? fitted/loose..? show arms etc or cover up..?

missblythe Sun 05-Jul-09 20:49:57

This is nice:

www.oasis-stores.com/fcp/product/Oasis/All-Dresses/Ruffle-Sculpture-Dress/3470044401

gigglewitch Sun 05-Jul-09 20:50:25

<pulls up seat to wait for giraffes to come out of the changing room>

shhhh Sun 05-Jul-09 20:52:37

yes that is nice mb, Oasis did a nice one a few months ago..did in lots of colours. Will have a scoot around the store now while giraffe tries our suggestions on grin.

You are in for a long wait gw grin, fancy a drink..?

shhhh Sun 05-Jul-09 20:54:35

ohh can;t find it. was like this but in black. (did in red,white,black,turquoise,green etc).

gigglewitch Sun 05-Jul-09 20:58:00

this is lovely but I can't make my mind up if a sash would 'go' iyswim

this one also wedding-y but ditto about the sash...
are you thinking a round the waist one, or something across the shoulder? What about getting a pashmina-thing instead of sash if it would suit the dress better?

giraffescantdancethetango Sun 05-Jul-09 20:59:04

Ooh sorry got distracted by wifeswap! I was thinking just below knee length - thats what the bridesmaid dresses will be. Would like a plain one I think. But wow never knew there was so many options for a black dress - am so confused! Legs below knee are fine. Don't mind having bare arms, as long as I tone them up at gym and fake tan before the big day!

giraffescantdancethetango Sun 05-Jul-09 21:01:03

She wants around the waist sash. I think its red she said. The wedding is hollywood film star theme if thats any help!

My favourite so far is that debenhams one giggle.

gigglewitch Sun 05-Jul-09 21:01:30

another one from same place

or how bout this one - I think it would really suit you smile

gigglewitch Sun 05-Jul-09 21:02:58

oops that last one is "chocolate"not black - my eyesight is rubbish blush

giraffescantdancethetango Sun 05-Jul-09 21:03:32

Oh I like this

gigglewitch Sun 05-Jul-09 21:05:16

better! (err, it is black lol)

do you like halter neck?

gigglewitch Sun 05-Jul-09 21:05:56

lol - that was perfect cross posting with the same idea grin

giraffescantdancethetango Sun 05-Jul-09 21:09:27

Oooh yes I love halterneck. The one I posted was only £19!! All out of stock though - typical.

shhhh Sun 05-Jul-09 21:11:33

giraffe, the one you showed is lovely..also like the one gw showed..cream and black.

gigglewitch Sun 05-Jul-09 21:12:05

oooh a bit of a price difference then. IIRC, Red Herring had one hmm - also debenhams, but was it in the sale ..<scratches head> I was in there last week y'see.

shhhh Sun 05-Jul-09 21:12:08

giraffe, work your way through these

gigglewitch Sun 05-Jul-09 21:14:11

oasis prom dress

YIPPEE I found it! red herring one
yes it is in sale - fingers crossed they have your size grin

gigglewitch Sun 05-Jul-09 21:14:59

wow shhhh, that's a good assortment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now