Talk

Advanced search

Horror of horrors - a fancy dress party! Please please help me.

(12 Posts)
Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 05-Jul-09 13:02:44

Gah, this is my worst nightmare.

DN is going to boarding school in September and SIL has decided to throw her a party at the end of August. An 80's party. And we all have to dress up.
They always have to have fancy dress, drives me fecking bonkers. I am not being a boring cow, I love parties, but why on earth can't we wear the clothes we like?

Anyway - please help me find something to wear. I was only 13 when the 80's ended so my own experience of 80's fashion was generally a load of neon shorts and t-shirts with an excessive number of things tied around my wrists - oh and flouresecent green braces. Why didn't I keep them? grin

I am 5'2", size 18 with large norks so the half naked lace-with-holes-in-and-a-bra-over-the-top look is out.

bubblagirl Sun 05-Jul-09 21:20:30

bumping for you cant think at moment but shall get back to you if i do

Kaci Sun 05-Jul-09 21:24:47

Loads of neon stuff in the shops at the mo. Even if you wear relatively 'normal' stuff and 80's it up with a load of neon accessories!!! + Backcombing/hairspray ect ect!!!
Have fun!
Ruth
xxx

HeliumBee Sun 05-Jul-09 21:29:07

Hello
How about the Madonna look?

I did this quite effectively a couple of years back for an 80s do.
Black lace fingerless gloves (from a party shop), big black ribbon tied into a bow on your head - loads of backcombed hair, lots of make-up - black smoky eyes. Then I wore black trousers or leggings with a short skirt made from black sort of lace stuff over the top. I did wear a bustier type thing but with a cardi over the top. Bangles and a crucifix type thing.
Just happened upon this site which gives you the low-down!!

PortAndLemon Sun 05-Jul-09 21:37:34

Frankie Says Relax T-shirt? (various places do them, but this is one of only a few I've seen that gets the printing big enough). Trying to remember what was worn on the bottom half -- leggings, maybe? Should get some neon in there somewhere.

Or a 58% Don't Want Pershing T-shirt like this one Katharine Hamnett wore to meet Mrs T (might have to make your own there).

Lilyloo Sun 05-Jul-09 21:41:27

Black leggings , black vest top , neon baggy t shirt over the top slung over one shoulder, neon leg warmers and bracelets and visor.
Loads of it in shops at the mo!

PortAndLemon Sun 05-Jul-09 21:43:27

(IIRC you saw a lot more of the unofficial ripped-off "FRANKIE SAYS RELAX" T-shirts in the 80s than the official "FRANKIE SAY RELAX" ones. But perhaps I just ran with a cheapskate crowd...)

missblythe Sun 05-Jul-09 21:45:04

Power suit with shoulder pads, giant mobile phone and mega-earrings.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 06-Jul-09 00:49:54

Ladies thank you

I have just ordered some black leggings and a black, long, off the shoulder t-shirt, along with a pair of fetching neon pink leg warmers and a neon pink oversized vest.

What does one wear on one's feet with this get up - heels? trainers? I have a pair of red heels that would clash beautifully, I'm reluctant to spend more money on something hideous that I won't wear again!

gigglewitch Mon 06-Jul-09 00:57:08

get any hideous stiletto's out. any colour. oh, and a big tasteless pair of earrings.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 07-Jul-09 20:11:34

The stuff arrived today - tried it on and I look suitably awful! I'm actually really pleased with the result, looks authentic and covers my mummy tummy - result! grin

bubblagirl Wed 08-Jul-09 10:43:16

hope you have good time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now