Talk

Advanced search

What would you recommend for dry lips?

(17 Posts)
esor Sun 05-Jul-09 09:39:24

I am suffering from dry flaking lips and they seem to be getting getting worse. I have never had this problem before and it has been like this since May. I have not been using any different products so I am not sure what could be causing it. Have been trying a natural lipsalve, and I wear a lip gloss. Any miracle product out there that I should get? Thanks in advance.

Pingpong Sun 05-Jul-09 09:41:45

vaseline
lots of lip products contain alcohol which simply dries out the lips.

motherlovebone Sun 05-Jul-09 09:48:28

try scrubbing your lips with a toothbrush when you brush your teeth, try keeping the lips bare, drinking lots of water.
see the pharmacist about salve.

heavenstobetsy Sun 05-Jul-09 09:51:17

keep the lips bare in the day and then when you go to bed put loads and loads of vaseline on - as much as you can cope with so its in a big thick layer! I always find this works

princessmel Sun 05-Jul-09 09:51:25

I use vaseline.

When they are eally bad I smother them in the bright pink germolene, the one with antiseptic. Does help. Can only do this when in house or going to bed.

If I can't find that I sometimes put my Neutrogena concentrated hand cream on them. Just ateeny dot, but it helps.

bronze Sun 05-Jul-09 09:53:46

the only thing that works for me lush stuff

esor Sun 05-Jul-09 09:54:11

Vaseline it is then, thanks for all the tips.

jellybeans Sun 05-Jul-09 10:05:22

the green vaseline tin is the best!

wifeofdoom Sun 05-Jul-09 12:19:46

elizabeth arden 8 hr cream works on mine - and i used to have the nickname "chapper" for my beautiful chapped lips!

charlotteolivia Sun 05-Jul-09 12:25:05

carmex all the way!!

borinbugger Sun 05-Jul-09 12:38:50

green vaseline
but in the sun use lip salve with spf

Bucharest Sun 05-Jul-09 12:43:36

I have horrendously bad chapped lips- haven't been able to wear lippy for years...I have tried everything- and always sleep with layers of vaseline on which is OK, but not enough when they get really bad (I just went through a fortnight of chapping which spread about an inch around my lips in all directions- soooooo attractive- looked like a 3 yr old who'd put her mum's lippy on in the dark)

Palmers lip balm is quite good, but the past fortnight I've been using 8 hr cream (not the lip balm, the ordinary tube,) and it's taken away the mega chapping so I think I'm going to be sticking to that. (kind of industrial strength vaseline)

JRocks Sun 05-Jul-09 12:47:49

I second carmex - especially the cherry one. It's the only thing that works for me.

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 05-Jul-09 13:11:09

I won't use vaseline as I then often end up with cold sores instead!

I use blisteze. Well, it's actually called blistex now I think, but they do lots of different ones, and it's only the one that says 'formerly blisteze' on it that I like (blue and white box/tube).

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 05-Jul-09 13:17:26

Carmex, or the same Blistez/ex as can'tsleep to keep them nice.

To get them nice, a rub with a soft, damp toothbrush (facecloth works well too) and then smothered in Vaseline or 8-hour cream.

belgo Sun 05-Jul-09 13:26:48

If your lips are sore, then carmex is great.

If they are just dry, then vaseline is good - I have the pink tin and the green tin and I don't know which is better yet.

Stilla Sun 05-Jul-09 14:21:00

carmex is fab

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now