Talk

Advanced search

Find me an outfit for me (a guest) at a muslim wedding please!

(23 Posts)
redinthehead Sat 04-Jul-09 21:44:13

Usually I would wear a knee length dress to a wedding, but the couple getting married are quite religious and tbh I dont think I would feel comfortable bearing too much flesh at a muslim wedding reception (reckon legs are out though shoulders would be OK).

I was thinking maybe tunic and slim trousers but havent really seen any that are smart enough for a wedding. Im too short for long dresses, and although shalwar kameez (?sp) look great on Asian woman I dont think they do on non-Asians ( I am white)so dont really want to wear one. I'm 5'4, size 12ish, pear shaped although currently still have a bit of a baby-belly.

So...any ideas?

TIA

suwoo Sat 04-Jul-09 21:47:02

What about a maxi dress? Could have a pashmina for if/when shoulders need to be covered?

gigglewitch Sat 04-Jul-09 21:49:16

I went to best friend's muslim wedding in a floaty linen trouser suit thing (which doesn't do it justice, it is lovely!) and nice high sandals, would anything like that work? I love your idea of tunic and trousers tho i do think that would be nice.
Right <rolls up sleeves>
what's your budget, and what colours suit you best?

redinthehead Sat 04-Jul-09 21:51:06

Am I too short for a maxi dress? I know there was a thread on here about that a coupke of days ago, will go and read what the verdict was! Agree pashmina would be good as a cover up if feel too exposed though.

suwoo Sat 04-Jul-09 21:53:59

I am heavily pg and massive! I wore a maxi dress last weekend to my cousins wedding and looked fine at 5 foot 5. You could wear wedges.

EldonAve Sat 04-Jul-09 21:54:20

possible tunic?
maybe with skinny black trousers?

redinthehead Sat 04-Jul-09 21:55:34

Ok, budget...if I could wear pieces again ( likw trousers) about £100ish, otherwise about £60. Have got (too many) sandals/dressy shoes so that shouldnt be a problem.

Think I look best in blues and purples, avoid pastels at al costs....never quite figured out that seasons colours thing but am definately not autumn.

CMOTdibbler Sat 04-Jul-09 21:57:46

I've got this tunic and it looks fab on.

redinthehead Sat 04-Jul-09 21:58:36

ooh pretty tunic eldonave, not sure whether orange is my colour thjough, might have to go and try it on. at £90 would have look amazing for me to justify it really

redinthehead Sat 04-Jul-09 22:00:53

I love that tunic CMOT, definatlet my sort of thing. Should of known Monsoon would be best option for floaty wedding-y type things!

Now any suggestions for trousers?

gigglewitch Sat 04-Jul-09 22:02:05

wow!!
like this - don't know if colour would be a problem
I think this is lovely, they have sizes 10,12 &14

gigglewitch Sat 04-Jul-09 22:05:09

that monsoon one is gorgeous. I looked there foirst, at trousers - they have some really nice ones.
if you are going to fork out a small fortune on a tunic, what about something like this?

gigglewitch Sat 04-Jul-09 22:06:04

foirst??? blush grin <must be some weirdy dialect?>

first ...is what i meant

redinthehead Sat 04-Jul-09 22:12:39

I like that 2nd debenhams tunic, could wear it with jeans too (not to wedding though) so would get plenty of wear. Trousers are a bargain...though have visions of sticky toddler handprints on them by the end of the day. Have just realised I have never worn white trousers before, am guessing nude colur knickers would be essential.

gigglewitch Sat 04-Jul-09 22:17:38

grin i imagine they would (knickers I mean)
you wouldn't have a sticky toddler at a wedding, would you? I've braved it for the odd day out, and come out still white enough but a nice bag to match your shoes, bursting with wet-wipes and tissues is also possibly on the essential list (with the bridget jones knickers) Unless the tunic is long enough for it not to matter. if you wear the "right" knickers grin i mean!!

redinthehead Sat 04-Jul-09 22:25:18

Will have toddler and baby, might not be sticky to begin with but am thinking curry handprints! Having said that at £18 would not be the end of the world, would be more of an issue with the silk 60quid tunic! WWill have to tell dh he is responsible for all feeding/wiping duties that day.

Seen any skinny trousers as anothe option?

gigglewitch Sat 04-Jul-09 22:30:40

grin I find the snot / snail-trails more of an issue ...

aww, you give me an excuse to go looking for more trousers?

grin

gigglewitch Sat 04-Jul-09 22:32:48

anything like this?
what colour d'you think?

UmmNoor Sat 04-Jul-09 22:38:39

How about a mid calf length skirt, a dressy top (with a scarf/pashmina type thing to cover shoulders if feeling a little exposed)and a pair of heels? IMO, you just need to be careful not too expose too much leg/back/cleavage. The dress code is perfect for covering your lumps and bumps!

redinthehead Sat 04-Jul-09 22:38:53

Yes agree snot trails are the worst, at the moment have them on shoulder (from babs) and on thigh (from ds). Though white definatley shows it less than black (am i looking for reasons to spend 60 quid on Monsoon tnic rather than far more reasonable one from debenhams? wink

And yes more trousers please!

redinthehead Sat 04-Jul-09 22:45:53

UmmNoor, I wasnt sure if showing any leg would be inappropriate, so had assumed all skirts above ankles would be out? Usually go for V neck or round neck tops as I think they suit my shape better but agree might not be suitable for this occasion.

Trousers could eb possibility, will check if they do them in black...Im confused though, is that littlewoods the same as the one the hideous Trinny and Susannah promote? Last time I went on a Littlewoods website they were plastered all over it.

redinthehead Sat 04-Jul-09 22:52:38

Just had another look at Littlewoods website..there's loads of trousers there. Anyone ordered from there before? They look Ok inthe pics. Do you think skinny or slim? Would bootcut be wrong with a tunic?

gigglewitch Sun 05-Jul-09 22:19:22

Yes I've ordered stuff from littlewoods - mainly dresses (safe bet) They are great.
Sorry don't know the deal with trousers, but they are good with return/exchange so order what you think you need and go from there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now