Talk

Advanced search

If you happen to be a manufacturer of trousers aimed at those of us over 40, please may I ask that ....

(28 Posts)
Countingthegreyhairs Tue 30-Jun-09 17:52:38

they do not have:

elasticated waists
extremely high waists
extremely low waists
any extra bulk around middle ie pockets (>hy do I need five pockets fgs or even one pocket come to think of it? I have three perfectly good handbags thank you very much.)
pockets half way down the leg
bandana type belts

please could they be:

lined
well cut
long enough
machine washable
produced in wearable plain colours with no studs or twiddly floral embellishments

Thank you

Harrumph

LaurieFairyCake Tue 30-Jun-09 17:54:30

and to pinch a mumsnet description:

"not look like per una for fat pottery teachers"

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 30-Jun-09 17:54:37

You forgot - in mainly natural fibres, with 5% lycra so the knees don't bag

folds arms

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 30-Jun-09 18:08:31

grin LaurieFairy Cake

Oh yes forgot about knee bagging Profiterole...

and natural fabrics ...

AND if they are linen can they be made of cloth with a high thread count please not from recycled sacking through which one's old women's pants can be viewed by all and sundry

stares belligerently in to middle distance and rubs hairy chin

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 30-Jun-09 19:45:17

And if yu charge me extra for a co-ordiating belt, could it be made of something other than complete crap?

LoveMyGirls Tue 30-Jun-09 19:50:20

There should be more threads like this grin

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 30-Jun-09 19:51:10

Would be nice if the hems could survive more than one outing too

[old fart emo]

TheYearOfTheCatMPADist Tue 30-Jun-09 23:37:47

Now that the wish list has been assembled, does anyone know where you can find good trousers? I am going shopping tomorrow, and need my trousers to tick all these boxes!

Countingthegreyhairs Wed 01-Jul-09 04:43:41

yes stalwart hems very necessary

Thank you LMGirls grin

Year of the cat- Nicole Farhi are your best bet and Piazza Sempione but ££££££££££ - see here -

[http://www.madham.co.uk/index.php?prod=1027]

so non-fraying hems and reasonably priced added to list too

[I'm a trouser obsessed insomniac an hour head btw and up early ... )

HarryB Wed 01-Jul-09 06:55:35

That they do up on your waist rather than on your ying yang, forcing the dreaded muffin top.

EyeballsandherSunburntNorks Wed 01-Jul-09 07:04:08

Why does the word slacks come into my head when reading your description of what you want?

Countingthegreyhairs Wed 01-Jul-09 09:40:26

Eyeballs I must protest

Slacks are worn by 50+ male members of the Rotary Club procured from adverts in the back of colour supplements

... such as these fine specimens ....

www.chums.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?ProductCatalogue=MT040

worn with these

www.chums.co.uk/productlist.asp?catid=10&RootCatID=10

come to think of it trousers 'with growing room' might not be a bad idea though ...

Countingthegreyhairs Wed 01-Jul-09 09:41:38

And yes, HarryB, all ying yang fastenings are strictly forbidden

lljkk Wed 01-Jul-09 12:52:27

Ahem I am >40 and I need pockets. Handbags are Naff.

LyraSilvertongue Wed 01-Jul-09 12:54:56

A lack of pockets is the very definition of old lady trousers.

OrmIrian Wed 01-Jul-09 12:55:46

Ooh on the thin trouser fabric and knickers theme there was an woman walking out of school this morning in front of me with the most delightful cerise polka dot undercrackers on. Very pretty they were. Perhaps I should have complimented her on them? grin

PlumpRumpSoggyBaps Wed 01-Jul-09 13:06:38

May I add (and I'm aware that this won't apply for everyone) a wide waistband, not one that's only 1.5cms wide? Much more flattering, I think.

Oh and anyone who's prepared to manufacture trousers that take into account that some people's waists are markedly smaller than their hips and don't much care for the three yards of spare fabric at the back which then requires you to wear a belt at all times, causing an unattractive ruched/elasticated effect over your behind will get my vote.

<I have trouser issues>

Countingthegreyhairs Wed 01-Jul-09 13:55:06

Everyone with trouser "isshheewws" v. welcome on this thread PLumpRump ...

Decent waistbands added to list

I encountered a similar vision on the bus this morning Orm, black thong, white capris ... felt vaguely scandalised but have led a sheltered life...

lljkk and Lyra - crikey - seriously? Um, where do you keep your keys, purse, id, miniature bottle of gin, powder puff, Chanel lipstick, Tena Lady products, corn plasters, and Werthers originals (if you don't mind me asking??)

These are my current favourites (am now desperately scouring them for pockets - not easy to see - too expensive anyway)

www.madham.co.uk/index.php?prod=751&image=2

maybe I should just succumb to official old lady status sad

OrmIrian Wed 01-Jul-09 13:58:20

This is scaring me a little. I keep getting hideous visions of the sort of 'slacks' that my MIL wears. Stretchy man-made things with no waist band. MIL wears hers with blouses and woolly waistcoat things. And why do so many old ladies seem to have square bottoms? Is it some sort of old lady undies that so that?

LyraSilvertongue Wed 01-Jul-09 19:13:50

I carry a bag (not a handbag, a tote bag),but I just hate trousers with no pockets. The worst offenders are jeans with no back pockets - strictly for the over-55s.

LyraSilvertongue Wed 01-Jul-09 19:16:02

Counting, those are very nice. Suit trousers and similar are exempted from the no-pockets rule.

mrsmerryweather Wed 01-Jul-09 19:16:25

can recommend KEW flannel/smart trousers when they are in for winter- think they have some still on website now.

www.kew-online.com

hocuspontas Wed 01-Jul-09 19:30:54

PLEASE keep elasticated waistbands for us lumpy odd-shaped 50+ers. I have to keep hitching otherwise.

Eek! Just realised this is Style & Beauty! Sorry ladies. <embarrassed gatecrasher emoticon>

Countingthegreyhairs Thu 02-Jul-09 13:42:09

You've scared me now too Orm!
[Frantically checks bottom shape in mirror ...]

Lyra - I concede that jeans must have back pockets - on reflection, yes, pocketless jeans are just too wierd

and phew - relieved the others pass muster ...

Hocus - your post very welcome - but sorry - NO elasticated waistbands allowed ever, ever, NO NO NO! grin owing to their lump-enhancing properties! Otherwise, we are in danger of looking like this:

www.houseofbruar.com/shop/index.asp?tm=27&type=w&o2=true&cat2=17&s=0&Item=TP09470

hocuspontas Thu 02-Jul-09 16:04:58

<pleads> Not even just an elasticated back....?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now