Talk

Advanced search

I'm thinking of going blonde: please advise

(76 Posts)
Bumperlicioso Mon 29-Jun-09 18:41:11

I'm getting very bored with my poker straight long light brown hair and am thinking of going blonde. I've never been blonde before and have no idea what the process is. Obviously I would go to the hairdressers to start off with, but could I do the roots myself?

I have light brown hair. Is it as simple as dying it or while they have to do it in stages?

What shade should I go? I up for anything that looks good. Will the hairdresser be able to advise me?

How regularly am I going to have to get it redone and what are the long term effects? If I get bored can I just dye it back to my natural colour? My hair is about chest length and I am not adverse to getting it all cut short if necessary.

Should I do this? I've never been blonde before and never wanted to but I am starting to habour yearnings and feel like it will make me look younger and hipper (I'm 28).

cocolepew Mon 29-Jun-09 18:44:26

I'd go for highlights first, the re-growth is easier to deal with. If you like them you could get other shades put in later. The hairdresser should be able to advise on what shade to put in.

CoteDAzur Mon 29-Jun-09 18:52:28

Have highlights done, then a 'varnish' called Diacolor (sp?) which is basically a translucent layer that blends the highlight and the base.

xxhunnyxx Mon 29-Jun-09 19:08:49

Yeah defo have highlights, looks more natural and you wont get roots quite so bad. Only prob is you will need to get it done at hairdressers, can't just do your roots yourself, you don't get the same results from home kits.

Jewelsandgems Mon 29-Jun-09 19:56:02

Agree totally get highlights - you will love it and highlights look the best on your colour hair, because you can have any colour including the palest blondes.

You will also find you have more volume because of your hair shaft being thickened by the dye, so you will probobley enjoy that aspect too

Bumperlicioso Mon 29-Jun-09 20:03:45

Really, highlights? Is that much more expenive to have done? Will I look like an extra from Hollyoaks?grin

Jewelsandgems Mon 29-Jun-09 21:03:26

Well the thing is 'block blonde' can be a little bit trashy, and can be a shock to the skin tone.

My highlights are the palest vanilla blondes, and because there is variation of colours (the 2 highlught colours plus my natural hair colour) is gives a shimmering natural look. You may not want to go that light on your first 'go', but ask for very fine highlights and you will be very happy (I am not a fan of the stripey look, or 'slices' that were a big thing in the 90s)

I think for a whole head of tint/bleach a good hairdresser will charge only a little bit less than 1/2 head highlights. It is true that a full head is more, but I have my hair up alot so I go for a full head one time, then a half next time. Also with a block colour you will find the roots creeping in very very quickly, whereas with highlights you can leave longer between colourings, giving better condition hair and also you won't get yourself down about roots.

HeliumBee Mon 29-Jun-09 21:09:43

Another vote for highlights - had them done recently - reslly pleased.
BUT
Get a skin patch test done - I nearly didnt bother but Im glad I did as I had a reaction - so they made sure not to get it on my scalp.

morningpaper Mon 29-Jun-09 21:13:37

I had highlights and everyone said they made me look OLD

I am going down the home-made bung head into bucket of Domestos approach

So far I am slightly lighter than Little Cook

In a week or so once I have some skin on my scalp again I will go lighter

You can never find hairdressers willing to make you blonde-all-over

But if you don't take yourself too seriously then just go for it - after all, you'll only wonder whether you should do it NEXT year and you'll be older and uglier then...wink

ThePhantomPlopper Mon 29-Jun-09 21:21:05

LOL at MP. grin

MrsSeanBean Mon 29-Jun-09 21:24:56

If you have pale skin, blue eyes and want to go blonde, find a hairdresser who will give you an all-over tint (it is tricky, as mentioned... as they go on and on about regrowth problems, and highlights being more natural etc etc) - but I think you may as well go the 'whole hog' - it's worth it for dramatic effect - and it can be very flattering on some skin tones (cool) and very youth-enhancing (IMHO). Ask for platinum. Think the baby blonde you were as a child. (And if you were v. blonde as a child, I've heard it will suit you later in life.)

Yes, there are regrowth issues, and you have to have the colour touched up every 4 weeks or so, which can be a pain, and if you dither it does look a bit trashy.... but still worth it IMO.

BonsoirAnna Mon 29-Jun-09 21:26:46

I would definitely recommend your getting your hair cut into a shorter style, with layers around your face.

BonsoirAnna Mon 29-Jun-09 21:28:13

Highlights can be terribly ageing...

CoteDAzur Mon 29-Jun-09 21:30:58

Or they can lighten up your face and give your hair a sun-kissed look.

Depends on the color. Go for honey colors for the latter effect.

Bumperlicioso Mon 29-Jun-09 21:32:48

Hmm, I don't know. No way I could afford the hairdressers once a month. I don't think I take myself that seriously MP, and I am prepared for the whole hog. I don't want a particular look just would like a change, I'm fed up with being mid brown.

So, if I had highlights vs whole head how often would I have to get it redone?

MP do you do yours yourself? I think I'd probably get it done properly first time, but happy to try at home subsequently.

I have brown eyes and medium skin tone. Warm, I think. I flirted with a bit of Sun-In when I was a teen, which wasn't great I must admit, but it was the devil's work!

Oh I dunno...

Bumperlicioso Mon 29-Jun-09 21:41:25

I really like this sort of thing - actually can I just look like her?!

Or this, but no way with dead straight hair.

Wanderingsheep Mon 29-Jun-09 21:55:27

My hair is naturally light brown and I have blonde highlights mixed with caramel highlights, which makes the regrowth not as noticable. I am planning to go gradually lighter, which I would recommend to you as it makes it less shocking (I've been blonde before but dyed it back brown, although I'm pretty fair skinned and feel that I look better blonde).

UndertheBoredwalk Mon 29-Jun-09 22:02:47

I am all over blonde, my hairdressers didn't have a problem doing it for me, this could of course be because I have to go in every few weeks to get my roots done and it costs a fortune (poncy hairdressers - but I trust them)

Mine is the same colour as the pics you linked to, very light, but i've done that over about 18 months, gotten lighter with each visit.
My natural colour is mid brown too, but I'm very light skinned and have green eyes. Not sure how it would look with a darker complexion.

I'd say go for it if you can be bothered with the regular pain in the arse and expensive upkeep! I do love my blonde so I bear it, it really is pita though.

UndertheBoredwalk Mon 29-Jun-09 22:05:46

I do have to go at the very most every 6 weeks, or it looks ridiculous and cheap, and for roots and trim I pay £80 a go <wince>
It's expensive being blonde!

Bumperlicioso Mon 29-Jun-09 22:06:25

Thanks for the replies. Anyone else do DIY?

Should I just forget it and go and pick up a bottle of Castings in Praline, again.

UndertheBoredwalk Mon 29-Jun-09 22:06:54

Sorry that should be at the very least shouldn't it?? <confused> I can't leave it more than six weeks is what I wanted to say grin

sleepycat Mon 29-Jun-09 22:17:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bumperlicioso Mon 29-Jun-09 22:26:35

I've found this website for DIY blonde, it is really good. I'm thinking hairdressers for initial go, especially will give me a colour consultation, but then DIY touch ups?

CJCregg Mon 29-Jun-09 22:30:47

grin at morningpaper - I am in exactly the same place!

OK, used to have a job and money, used to get lovely highlights done regularly.

Now have bugger all money, hair has returned to dull brown/mouse.

A couple of months ago I thought 'fuck it, I want to be blonde again' so went and bought a home kit in a slightly timorous shade - 'honey' blonde, or 'copper blonde' or some such nonsense. All it's done is turn my hair a rather brassy, really fake looking lighter brown. I don't like it much, but the fact that it only costs a fiver each time is some consolation.

I'm now dithering over whether to bite the bullet, go back to the hairdresser, take their tutting and ridicule like a man and humbly ask for proper highlights. OR, go for a more daring variety of bottle, ie MP's bleach option?!

Any suggestions?

morningpaper Tue 30-Jun-09 08:25:09

I can't afford highlights and I found them really aging. I can barely afford hair CUTS. grin Mine is quite short which makes any cock-ups easier to take.

CJ: Just bloody go for it. Leave it on until you can smell burning. wink If you are really brassy go for the purple shampoo and conditioner by John Freida - currently 2 for 1 at Sansbos.

If you are going to do the home-route, then brace yourself for a monumental cock-up but accept that you will just put up with it. grin You will stop shaking after a day or two and start thinking that actually orange is ALL RIGHT. Don't try and go back to brown if it goes tits up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now