Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of this dress? And other questions...

(23 Posts)
used2bthin Mon 29-Jun-09 16:40:38

This is the dress www.oasis-stores.com/fcp/product/Oasis/All-Dresses/Floral-Clash-Print-Dress/3170058900

It is good on me for colour and the shape is ok I think but it may cling to my tummy. Would it be good for a pear (shaped person like me) do we think?

Any other ideas? I like it but don't love it, I've been looking for a flowery dress for two years and no luck! I'm 5.10 ish and 12-14 on the bottom, 10-12 on top. Dark hair and brown eyes. TIA!

MagNacarta Mon 29-Jun-09 16:43:06

No, will make anyone over 25 look frumpy. If however you are under 25 you'll have to be careful with what you wear with it. Not a good shape for a pear either.

krugerparkrules Mon 29-Jun-09 16:45:13

I quite like it and think it will suit a pear shape - not sure what fabric type is - if it has some give in it i think it would look rather nice ....

used2bthin Mon 29-Jun-09 16:48:43

It is jersey, I tried it on last week and it didn't cling but I tried a 12 and it was too big in the bust area so was thinking of ordering a ten and seeing if it fits. I am 29 though, wanted it for my 30th and a friends 30th this weekend! To wear with leggings and bright pink heels. Oh dear would it look a bit wrong?

used2bthin Mon 29-Jun-09 16:51:42

Where am I missing? I feel like I have looked everywhere! Online if possible but can get to most places just not h and m.

TheFool Mon 29-Jun-09 16:52:32

meh

used2bthin Mon 29-Jun-09 16:56:43

Meh at the dress or meh about the question?

LetThemEatCake Mon 29-Jun-09 17:12:55

I'm sorry but I don't think you should wear that dress with leggings and bright pink heels. And I think you need something a bit more "wow" for your 30th, it's an important occasion! one that you will look back on with fondness and a few tears wink Take it from my haggard 36 yo self wink

ThePhantomPlopper Mon 29-Jun-09 17:15:40

Personally I don't particularly like it.

I wouldn't wear it for parties either, especially your own.

used2bthin Mon 29-Jun-09 17:18:05

You are right letthemeatcake but what? I really can't find anything that doesn't make e look enormous. I need something for this saturday but it doesnt have to be what I wear for my birthday necessarily. Just seen a couple of nice ones in warehose but I am pretty sure they would emphasize my big hips and bum! What would you put the dress with? Although I am swiftly going off it and would rather find a better one!

LetThemEatCake Mon 29-Jun-09 17:20:31

by the way, your description of yourself - I'm 5.10 ish and 12-14 on the bottom, 10-12 on top. Dark hair and brown eyes - cold just about be me (or at least me when I am not pregnant, as I am now) Don't go thinking that you can't wear a more pencil-ly shape, just cos you;re a pear.

otherwise, I am selling a rather gorgeous once-worn Karen Millen prom-dress on ebay at the mo .. won't say any more because I know there are rules about self-promotion and whatnot.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 29-Jun-09 17:21:14

I like it and I think the colours and print will disguise a normal tummy.

Anyone over 21 - it is not natural to have a flat tummy imo.

LetThemEatCake Mon 29-Jun-09 17:21:21

oh oooops, cross-posts. What's your budget? I'll have a wee look

used2bthin Mon 29-Jun-09 17:30:19

Ooh LTEC how can I find out more? Not sure if a prom dress would be too much as we are just going to bars but would definately have a look. Budget up to £70 ish, less if just for this sat.

FabBakerGirl I am glad someone else likes it! I love the pattern but think I will probably be between sizes. Might order it as a back up plan and return to the shop if I find something better.

reikizen Mon 29-Jun-09 17:32:04

Nope, I don't like it either. And not for your 30th. It is like a Laura Ashley print from the 80's and not in a good way. But if you could see what I am wearing now you wouldn't dream of taking style advice from me!!! wink

used2bthin Mon 29-Jun-09 17:32:34

TPP just seen your post missed it earlier. No hopefully not for my party as long as I can find something pretty but I'm getting desperate to find soething for a friends birthday this weekend. It will be just a few bars rather than a party but I'd rather find something with a bt more coverage tbh.

used2bthin Mon 29-Jun-09 17:33:56

Lol reikizen but ok definately not for my 30th. I have got six weeks to sort that out and am hoping to tone up a bit so maybe will be braver for that.

used2bthin Mon 29-Jun-09 17:38:34

I like this one but I think it would gape at my non existent bust? And possible cling to my tummy. Hmm. Pretty though. www.warehouse.co.uk/fcp/product/fashion/Dresses/falling-petal-dress/12779

LetThemEatCake Mon 29-Jun-09 17:40:17

ok shhhhh

but yes probably too much for bars

this is lovely and the ruffles would balance out a pear

floral and flattering, could easily be va va voomed up with the right accessories

would you consider a maxi dress? as I say, it sounds as though we are very similar and I love maxis .. casual glamour!!

used2bthin Mon 29-Jun-09 17:45:24

Oh thanks for the links I have had a quick look but have to take over with DD now so will come back later to look properly. I love the pattern on the last one but think I want little sleeves maybe to cover bra straps as I am flat chested but droopy blush . Your one is beautiful but yes too much for where we are going, shame!

ThePhantomPlopper Mon 29-Jun-09 17:48:15

With your height a maxi dress is good choice, there are loads of really nice ones around ATM.

I'm too short to wear them.

used2bthin Mon 29-Jun-09 19:50:32

Thanks TPP yes they are pretty I don't think I'd feel like me in one though iyswim? What did you think of my warehouse one?

used2bthin Mon 29-Jun-09 21:54:03

Bump for opinions on the warehouse dress I linked to, or failing that, any codes for discount at warehouse? I can't help but feel that at that price I could maybe find something better but I won't know until I try it on and don't want to risk waiting till thursday when I can get to the shops. They do free returns anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now