Talk

Advanced search

Here is a picture of me. What shape am I?

(27 Posts)
HuffwardlyRudge Fri 26-Jun-09 11:06:19

For a limited time only I have put a photo of me on my profile (wanna see my pants? grin).

What body shape am I?

What should I wear?

Can I wear shorts? If so, what sort?

What sort of dresses?

I have spent ages on T&S and various other sites and can never work it out. Just tell me, someone, please!

For years I have worn ankle length skirts and vest tops on the basis that my legs are horrid, but I'm starting to think actually big full skirts make me look enormous.

FigmentOfYourImagination Fri 26-Jun-09 11:07:29

Pear bordering on hourglass.

FigmentOfYourImagination Fri 26-Jun-09 11:11:39

wear things that accentuate / show / fit to your waist and boob (without being sausage skin tight obv).

You have good legs, nice shape and a non saggy arse. Your legs are not horrif. Angle length shirts will either

a) make you look as wide as your hips all the way down if they are floaty

or

b) if they are bias cut will make your hips look wide

Your hips aren't wide but they are the widest part of your body.

You can wear shorts. City short (knee length) would look good on you. I also advocate wide legged tailored trousers.

In general go for fitted/tailored on the top and slightly looser on the bottom (withough going mumu flappy)

steamedtreaclesponge Fri 26-Jun-09 11:11:46

If you're following T&S's shape guides, I would say skittle.

i.e. bit pearish, bit hourglass.

I was just thinking how nice your legs were actually! Not like my stumpy things grin

You're probably right about the big full skirts thing though. I think they only really work if your top half is teeny tiny or if you are really tall.

FigmentOfYourImagination Fri 26-Jun-09 11:12:23

rofl @: angle legth shirts

Of course I mean "ankle length skirts"

MrsMcCluskey Fri 26-Jun-09 11:15:25

I would say you are the same as me a Skittle
I look best in wide leg trousers
fitted tops
fitted dresses
wrap over tops
I avoid floaty tops anything frilly as it makes me look bigger
I dont look great in the leggings / tunic combo either

Curiousmama Fri 26-Jun-09 11:16:25

You look great to me, do you workout? I'd have said more of an hourglass than a pear? And yes your legs are lovely smile

Curiousmama Fri 26-Jun-09 11:17:22

I've never heard the term skittle I thought you were talking about a mumsnetter blush

HuffwardlyRudge Fri 26-Jun-09 11:20:56

Lol @ ankle length shirts. It's worse than I thought! grin

I think 'lovely' is pushing it Curiousmama, but thank you. (I do work out, and I think it's starting to have an effect, hence sudden interest in wanting my clothes to flatter).

MrsMcC - yes, floaty tops have always been a staple of my wardrobe and I am starting to think they too are a mistake.

HaventSleptForAYear Fri 26-Jun-09 11:23:03

Actually my first thought was 'brick' (à la T&S, not meant as an insult).

Your shoulders look the same width as your hips to me.

Agree with something to accentuate your waist.

Think your legs and arms are nice so you could get away with shorter/sleeveless.

Agree big floaty skirts will make you look bigger than you really are.

Sorry, I have no idea what I can wear so really shouldn't be trying to advise others!! grin

suwoo Fri 26-Jun-09 11:31:34

Bloody hell missus, you are brave shock.

I would say an hourglass. It is hard to tell how defined your waist is as your vest is not ftted.

I am an hourglass and have to 'show' my waist at all times. That doesn't have to be with a belt, just not wearing anything that skims like empire etc.

OrmIrian Fri 26-Jun-09 11:34:55

You look fine to me!

Wear something to emphasise the waist. Don't wear anything to flarey on the hips. I have HIPS and rarely wear anything that isn't quite fitted (not tight apart from running shorts). I feel that my hips are quite big enough without emphasising them anymore. I think your figure is good.

Wonders if am brave enough to do this. I need help. I have no real idea of my body a shape apart from the fact that it's too big. And DH just tells me I look great hmm But he has a vested interest....

frAKKINPannikin Fri 26-Jun-09 11:35:07

I think your shoulders are more delicate than your hips so verging on pear.

You do have lovely legs and great arms (I hate my arms)

You don't really want to do floaty, unless it's a knee length floaty skirt with a fitted top or a floaty wrap dress type thing.

Make the most of your top half with fitted things/wrapovers. Probably avoid very deep v-necks as they will draw the eye to your hips. I'd also avoid empire line. You can, however, do halternecks and you have a nice straight back!

Wide legged trousers, tailored shorts, knee length skirts (you could do a fab fitted top, 50s skirt combo).

frAKKINPannikin Fri 26-Jun-09 11:36:35

We should make a pact and all do it - you are v. v. Huff!

frAKKINPannikin Fri 26-Jun-09 11:37:41

Or even v. v. brave..., Huff

Curiousmama Fri 26-Jun-09 11:38:57

I'm an apple sad But I have hips just belly is too potlike.
Don't think you're brave I'd flash to the world if I were you grin

HuffwardlyRudge Fri 26-Jun-09 11:54:05

Interesting that there isn't a concensus about what shape I am. I feel better for having been a bit flummoxed. The trouble with body shapes is that they insist you must have a 'brilliant bit'.

So, "Pear shapes, your hips and legs aren't your best feature so emphasise your tiny waist!" and I think... but I don't have a tiny waist... hmm.

I'm not meaning to sound down on my shape because I realise I'm not too bad (in fact have just lost some weight and toned up a bit so feeling pretty pleased with self) but I don't seem to have a 'bit' to emphasise. I do have a waist, but I also have a lurvely mummy tummy that doesn't appreciate nipped in waisted things.

Is there a 'sort of average all over' shape?

(Am not brave btw - no one knows who I am!)

I am really taking on board people's suggestions. I am due a bit of clothes shopping and I want to get it right this time.

notamumyetbutoneday Fri 26-Jun-09 12:04:40

I would say I am a similar shape to you and have received lots of compliments now ive started wearing skirts that are just on top of my knee raher than below my knee- like you my legs are ok so this is emphasising this rather than swallowing me up as it were.

Also have found that straight leg jeans (not skinnies, no no no) are much more flattering, surprisingly more so than bootleg/bootcuts.

BobtheWoodmouse Fri 26-Jun-09 12:59:37

Your shape looks a bit similar to mine - it could be the angle of the photo though smile. I have a long torso with a high 'rise' and average length legs. Like you, I cannot define my shape easily and have no best bit. I have found that the shapes that suit me the most and look OK in photos are mid-rise wide-leg or straight/slight boot cut trousers with no turn up and as long as possible almost touching the floor - I have 2 pairs different lengths so I can wear heels sometimes and the hems still reach the floor - it really helps my proportions although 99% I wear flats. For my top half, the tops that flatter me the most are fitted and long in length and have 3/4 sleeves and a boat/slash neck. The skirts that seem to suit me best are slight A-line and sit quite low, not on my waist. I've always found it difficult to wear belts - they never seem to be in the right place - for dresses I tend to go for fitted through the body or single-breasted button-through all the way down with no waistband as inevitably the waistband is too high. Not sure if this description rings any bells with you but hope it helps one way or another anyway grin

BobtheWoodmouse Fri 26-Jun-09 13:02:18

Have to add, in my profile pics, not wearing flattering clothes for my shape grin

BobtheWoodmouse Fri 26-Jun-09 13:10:38

To answer your question about shorts, I haven't worn them for years but this year, I bought some basic ones from Uniqlo - they are quite sturdy, with turn-ups, quite smartish looking for shorts and although they are made from tough denim, they don't look jeansy as they are black (but come in other colours too) I have 2 pairs and have worn them loads this summer already, even in public grin They are mid thigh, maybe a bit shorter and stop at the thinnest bit of my thigh which is still quite thick blush but I feel OK in them. You have nicer legs than me envy so I think you would look great in them.

Here they are

Curiousmama Fri 26-Jun-09 13:16:44

Think I'll ask MNHQ if we can get Gok on here and show him our bods grin

NorkilyChallenged Fri 26-Jun-09 13:29:16

I need to do this too as i've never been able to figure out what shape I am.

Agree that nothing wrong with your legs at all Huff, you have a nice figure but cannot advise on what to wear as I have no clue (and also have just realised that the last 20 years spent living in ankle length skirts possibly not a good idea....)

Off to see if I can drum up the courage to do the same as you!

mrsmerryweather Fri 26-Jun-09 14:35:34

I think you should go fitted round the waist as your boobs and hips are about the same size.

If you allow a top to skim your torso and not fit your waist, you will look larger due to your large boobs!

I would suggest A line skirts- nothing too full or floaty- and short cardigans that nip in at the waist.

You might also look great in a shift style dress that is tailored so it fts your waist.

Trouser-wise, I'd suggest you go for straight leg or slight bootleg to balance your top half. Wide leg will make you look dumpy.

I think it's amyth that if you are Rubenesque, wearing loose and long hides the curves or makes you look slim- you don't- you just look big and shapeless.

MrsMcCluskey Fri 26-Jun-09 15:01:26

Woddmouse I have the sam prob as you I am long from waist to tail with average legs.
I too avoid belts and 'wisted' clothes.
Agree with all you say!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now