Talk

Advanced search

talk to me if you have hairy arms......

(14 Posts)
ilovespinach Thu 25-Jun-09 12:15:58

what do you do with them?

I am dark haired and olive skinned so I have quite hairy arms.

Usually it doesn't bother me and I just leave them (in the summer the hairs lighten naturally).

I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks though and I will be wearing a dress (if I can find one) and I don't want to have hairy arms on show. I've tried bleach before and I found it doesn't work too well. I don't want to shave them so that leaves me with waxing or using my epilator. Which would you use?

VeryAnnieGertie Thu 25-Jun-09 13:35:24

I myself am covered head to toe in luxurious dark hair. (picture Cousin It)

Frequently get waxings but must admit have never had arms waxed, though it I were to go that route, I'd do it that way. Not a fan of epilators which seem to tear hairs. Could you have it done soon to give your arms time to calm down before wedding? You'll perhaps get some regrowth but int hat time it won't be as much as you have removed.

Or you can catch a few rays in the next few weeks for the natural lightening effect.

Would be really interested to hear about it if you did get your arms waxed <searching for a guinea-pig emoticon>

AllwaysDoingSomething Thu 25-Jun-09 14:22:36

I'm hairy and my arms are covered in dark, think, long hair. Like you sun lightens the hair, but the thickness and length is still noticeable. I often epilate to thin the hair out and it does work for me. I've never shaved or waxed, never imagined what my arms would look like bald. I do however dream of hair free legs.

ilovespinach Thu 25-Jun-09 15:23:31

may well go for the epilator option Will dig the epilator out and try now in case it makes me look stupid

I also agree it would be weird tohave bald arms

littlelamb Thu 25-Jun-09 15:25:31

O god no no no. Please don't get rid of the hair. Nothing fascinates me more than obviously de-haired arms blush There's just no need for it imo, but then I don't have hugely dark hair. You will look like a plucked chicken. Try and have the hair lightened if you really really can't stand it but please, just think of the regrowth. Once you've whipped it all off it will only grow back worse

Meglet Thu 25-Jun-09 15:33:17

I bleach my arms as they are werewolf-esque in their natural state. And, this is quite embarrassing but it works, I use ex p's beard trimmer to keep the hair shorter blush. It doesn't get stubbly on the ends (despite having tough hair) as I think the bleach makes the hair more delicate.

I'd never wax them as the hair is too strong, don't want ingrown hairs on my arms!

ZZMum Thu 25-Jun-09 15:49:01

waxing worked well for me - after 3 years, have hardly any regrowth now and instead of dark it is finer and blonder.. I support the choice to be natural but I looked like I had men's fore arms and being able to wear no sleeves without comment for me is worth the effort

geekfreak Thu 25-Jun-09 16:00:05

Wax, wax, wax! I too am dark and hairy in the arm region and have them waxed so I can wear short sleeves without feeling self-conscious. Years of waxing have made them finer so it's literally a twice a year job nowadays. I haven't had a problem with ingrowing hairs whereas I have on my legs where I epilate. And I couldn't face epilating my arms - the pain...!

ilovespinach Thu 25-Jun-09 16:22:27

hmm maybe wax then

nomorecake Thu 25-Jun-09 16:25:33

if you can, i would say leave them.
i reached out for my friend and touched her cactus prickly arm, i think she shaved.

rolledhedgehog Thu 25-Jun-09 16:40:16

I have quite hairy arms. It used to bother me but I have learnt to ignore it. I learnt my lesson with my teeth...became obsessed they were so awful that everyone noticed them and so spent 2k on veneers and not one bugger noticed!

littleboyblue Thu 25-Jun-09 16:47:31

I have been shaving my arms since I was about 15 blush

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Thu 25-Jun-09 16:47:48

My sister has hers waxed regularly - she says it's quite relaxing hmm and it never looks odd (bald).

MrsMcCluskey Thu 25-Jun-09 16:57:55

My friend waxes hers about 4 times a year they are fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now