Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had a breast reduction?

(12 Posts)
Tryingtobehealthy Thu 25-Jun-09 11:22:55

Was it very expensive? Was it REALLY painful? Are you glad you did it?

OhBling Thu 25-Jun-09 11:49:28

Fairly expensive, yes (But I didn't have it done in england so I'm not sure what it would be like here).

Not that painful at all.

Best thing I ever did.

Honestly, if you are thinking about it, and can afford it, it's worth it. The pain is much less than for an enlargement and mostly you just feel very very sensitive for a while rather than extreme pain (well, except when the cat jumped onto my chest to comfort me....grin)

frAKKINPannikin Thu 25-Jun-09 16:00:16

Free on NHS. Weirdly pain free but bruising was huge!

AmeliaMum Thu 25-Jun-09 19:13:07

I am watching with interest - have always hated my huge boobs and they are causing me serious pain as well as damaging my back.
I am planing to have another child but as soon as breastfeeding is over I will be looking into it.
Anybody with any experience of the op in the Greater Manchester area? Are GPs sympathetic? How do you make it happen?
Sorry to hijack, Healthy, but they have been 'weighing heavy on my mind' recently wink

woodenchair Thu 25-Jun-09 19:34:21

This is interesting, it's the one plastic surgery that I've thought about doing. Do you mind me asking what bra size you were and what you are now?

frAKKINPannikin Thu 25-Jun-09 20:04:56

I was a 32, well I couldn't really find bras that fitted, even in Bravissimo.

Now I'm a 32F which is still pretty big but more bearable!

AnyFucker Thu 25-Jun-09 20:09:14

Not me, but three of my friends have

Two were on the NHS, one no problems, one with some complications (lost a nipple due to infection, needed plastic surgery to sort it out shock)

The third was private and complication-free

TheProfiteroleThief Thu 25-Jun-09 20:10:38

My sis did (I helped with her aftercare so feel v knowledgeable)

She had it done at v reputable hospital (privately for £6k)
She had 3lbs removed from each breast - she was wearing 32HH but was too small
She became infected and took about 6 weeks to heal which was q problematic
Her scarring was v bad for about 12 months but now looks fine
She has no regrets despite this, but has put on weight and they are now a bit bigger

ImOverHere Thu 25-Jun-09 20:16:59

What sort of size do you have to be for the NHS to consider it something they'll do? I'm a 38G and still BF. After bf dd 3 yrs ago I only went down to 38F so still pretty bit but is it big enough?

frAKKINPannikin Thu 25-Jun-09 20:22:08

It's not size, it's more to do with physical and psychological problems they cause you.

If you get severe back pain then you'd probably qualify. If you feel really depressed because of them you might qualify.

Mine were really affecting my body image and obviously they were huge so not being able to find bras got me down.

Tryingtobehealthy Fri 26-Jun-09 09:13:20

I really hate my boobs (34H but go down to G when a bit thinner ) but I'm not sure I'd want to go through surgery to get rid of the buggers. Interesting to read that it wasn't excruciating for most people though.

OhBling Fri 26-Jun-09 10:09:39

I wasn't even that ginormous (although I suspect I was always wearing the wrong sized bra!). They took out about 3lbs (combined) on me - which is slightly lower than average as I think it's normal to take about 2lbs per breast. I wish they had taken the extra - I've always felt they didn't take enough.

Tryingtobehealthy - I think it was the best thing I've ever done, but... I thought about it and wasn't sure for a long time. Don't do it until you really feel ready. In my case, it was the day I realised that even within the office if I wanted to go talk to someone, even just someone a few desks away from me, I'd put on a jumper or a jacket to cover myself up. That's when I realised I was at the point of no return and they were gone within 6 months of that day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now