Talk

Advanced search

Not strictly S&B but suggestions for a night out in London...

(32 Posts)
dairymoo Tue 23-Jun-09 21:23:54

I am planning a night out (tomorrow) for my best friend from the States and me and need inspiration!

We are staying in the Barbican and so far I have made a reservation at Harvey Nicks 5th floor restaurant at 8pm but I need some ideas for things to do between 6 - 8pm, after supper, and also breakfast/brunch and tomorrow morning.

She's been to London a few times before and so I'm not looking for real touristy suggestions but something like Borough or Spitalfields market would be perfect....but they aren't open on Thursdays.

We don't have huge budgets but are happy to splash out if the mood takes us grin. I did think the Harvey Nicks Champagne Nail Bar might be fun but at £45 a pop, I'm not too sure!

TIA smile

inscotland Tue 23-Jun-09 21:26:55

The champagne nail bar in Edinburgh Harvey Nicks is a rip off so I doubt London would be any different.

Is there anywhere you could go for cocktails before HNs? Or a posh hotel for a glass of champagne?

pasturesnew Tue 23-Jun-09 21:29:11

What about a stroll round Hyde Park and a vist to the Serpentine Gallery www.serpentinegallery.org/exhibitions.html?

cherryblossoms Tue 23-Jun-09 21:32:02

I'm not brilliant at nights out but off the top of my head, you're close to E. London there, so is it worth going out Hoxton/Brick Lane way, prior to the swishness of Harvey Nicks.

I've recommended Lounge Lovers before, which is off Brick Lane, for cocktails but don't know if it's still good (have moved from E. London - sob).

squeaver Tue 23-Jun-09 21:33:16

If you're staying at the Barbican you should got to Smiths of Smithfield from breakfast

Why don't you just go shopping at HArvey Nicks before dinner?

Or cocktails at the Blue Bar in the Berkeley Hotel or there's a nice bar in Browns Hotel

Go to Groom at Selfridges and have a speedy facial&pedi/mani combo (30 mins) then have a mooch around Selfridges.

Or Marylebone High St is nice.

Or what about a gallery - you could walk down to St Pauls and then over the wobbly bridge to Tate modern

Or pop up to Hampstead and go for a walk on the heath, or Primrose Hill is nice too (closer)

dairymoo Tue 23-Jun-09 21:34:32

That's funny cherryblossoms - I was thinking LoungLover too. Hmmm....maybe we could swing by on our way back as I think it's prob more of a later night place than happy hour?

Heathcliffscathy Tue 23-Jun-09 21:36:21

cocktails: one aldwych.

then andrew edmunds in soho.

then bar italia for espresso and atmosphere.

that would be my suggestion.

WHY harvey nicks for dinner??? with all the choice you have in london???

squeaver Tue 23-Jun-09 21:37:22

yes loungelover for late night.

Also have to ask why?? to H Nicks, tis quite naffola

Heathcliffscathy Tue 23-Jun-09 21:40:23

shops are for shopping. restaurants for eating. ad infinitum.

like ds begging for clarks shoe with toy in it, my response: shoe shops for shoes. toy shops for toys!

Heathcliffscathy Tue 23-Jun-09 21:41:20

fgs go to club gascon (CD's favourite restaurant) tis much nearer the barbican.

then go clubbing in hoxton!

DebiNewberry Tue 23-Jun-09 21:42:48

yy andrew edmunds feels like a secret london place.

DebiNewberry Tue 23-Jun-09 21:44:24

also i love the Quality Chop House nearby-ish to Barbican

squeaver Tue 23-Jun-09 21:46:37

Or St John - if you're strong of stomach!

dairymoo Tue 23-Jun-09 21:46:37

Doesn't have to be HN at all - I always just get a bit overwhelmed by the choice in London!! Andrew Edmunds could be good though - and I love Bar Italia for people watching. Hmmm....might cancel that reservation after all. Not keen on One Aldwch though - any other suggestions for drinks anywhere between Barbican and Soho...? Has anyone been to the Long Bar at the Sanderson - can you just walk in?

Heathcliffscathy Tue 23-Jun-09 21:46:40

ooo i remember there, banquettes and lots of red meat. yum. must look at current reviews though. needs to be fab for your lovely friend and you.

cherryblossoms Tue 23-Jun-09 21:46:57

Ooh - DebiNewberry! - I (used to) love the Quality Chop House too! I'd forgotten all about that until you said ... . [CB ambles off smiling happily]

Heathcliffscathy Tue 23-Jun-09 21:47:59

how come not keen. the lobby bar does the best cocktails (ask several mners!).

OR, you could go for charlotte st hotel, st martins, they all have good cocktail bars.

maybe my rules don't apply here. hotels are good for sleeping in and cocktails!

Heathcliffscathy Tue 23-Jun-09 21:48:31

call andrew edmunds now...they may well be full up, so don't cancel til you get something else.

squeaver Tue 23-Jun-09 21:49:49

Try Bocca di Lupo in Soho. We were there the other weekend - very new, trendy, fab food

Covent Garden Hotel is nice for drinks.

dairymoo Tue 23-Jun-09 21:50:29

Keep x-posting...

We're not really clubbers sophable, more people watchers and just want some time to catch up really. St. John's - erm, I know it tops a lot of lists but I can't go to a place with roasted bone marrow on the menu!

Am going to try and get a table at Andrew Edmunds though - wonder if they have any deals on?

Heathcliffscathy Tue 23-Jun-09 21:52:38

andrew edmunds is always pretty reasonable... not the kind of place for deals...if you get a table however late, grab it, they are full to the rafters most nights.

all the firmdale hotels have fantastic bars.

ooooo...the oyster bar at j sheekeys is fabulous, we were there last week and it rocked (you can watch them cooking your dishes at the bar or have a table).

if you like fish j sheekeys is one of the best places in london in the main restaurant but be careful price wise, the oyster bar much more reasonable.

dairymoo Tue 23-Jun-09 21:56:26

Right, got a table at AE's at 9:45 which is quite late but I guess it gives us more time to sip cocktails and meander around.

One Aldwych is very near to where I used to work and we used to take clients there, hence the not so keen comment.

So, now I have 6pm - 9:45pm to fill - help!!

dairymoo Tue 23-Jun-09 21:57:34

I would love to go to J Sheekey but friend is not keen on fish...

Heathcliffscathy Tue 23-Jun-09 21:59:51

oooo you lucky AE is so fab!!!

now. cocktails in soho/cov garden. honestly i think that cov garden hotel is prob fab, soho hotel bar is good. erm...come on ladies, cocktails near soho...lets get to it!

DebiNewberry Tue 23-Jun-09 22:06:47

I'm jealous.. it is really a lovely place.

i'm rubbish at cocktails, my idea of posh drinking was going to gordons, will leave it to other, more glamorous mn-etters!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now