Talk

Advanced search

Can a fatty (me) wear this......

(32 Posts)
Numberfour Tue 23-Jun-09 18:16:36

to a 40th birthday party at someone's house where the dress code is party / casual? i suspect it may be too dressy?
this dress

ilove Tue 23-Jun-09 18:18:02

That's gorgeous! Where's it from?

HecatesTwopenceworth Tue 23-Jun-09 18:18:22

It's lovely.

How good are your arms?

If you have wings like mine that could seriously get you airbourne, then probably not! grin otherwise go for it, because it's smashing - and that front looks like it would be very flattering!

CurryMaid Tue 23-Jun-09 18:19:17

Depends on how 'fat' I would say.

Numberfour Tue 23-Jun-09 18:23:29

it is from simply be. i am a blush size 20 and my arms a quite crap but not HORRENDOUS [who is she kidding emoticon]

but is it not too dressy? my friends that will be there normally see me with hair in a pony tail, no make up and scruffy dress (busy childminder) i don't want to look over done.
what if everyone else is in fancy jeans? i will be the fat chick that tried too hard!

Numberfour Tue 23-Jun-09 18:24:55

curry, an overly voluptuous size 20. far too big but all in proportion and the skirt would hide (sort of) my jelly belly.

now wondering if i should just get it and send it back if unsuitable

Numberfour Tue 23-Jun-09 18:26:16

oh, bugger
just seen my credit limit on my online store. LET'S START SHOPPING!!!

can always send back that which is pukified.

PerfectPrefect Tue 23-Jun-09 18:28:23

If everyone else is n jeans probably too dressy. but if everyone else is in summery skirts/linen trousers then probably fine.

It looks like it is a jersey type fabric so wouldn't be formal....it just depends how casual everyone else is likely to be

PerfectPrefect Tue 23-Jun-09 18:30:56

I LOVE the dress BTW....I want one but I am only 5'2" so long dresses like that tend to be floor length on me.....ho hum

Numberfour Tue 23-Jun-09 18:32:10

perfectprefect, a perfect answer. i will have to talk to my friends that have been invited.

PerfectPrefect Tue 23-Jun-09 18:32:17

I love this one actually and at only £12 could think about shortening it.....rushes to find credit card...Simply Be have some lovely stuff...

Podrick Tue 23-Jun-09 18:33:53

I love it - get it, you will look fab!

princessmel Tue 23-Jun-09 18:34:48

I think that if you can't wear a pretty dress to a party , when can you wear one?!

Wear it and everyone with tink you look great, whether they are in jeans or not.

Numberfour Tue 23-Jun-09 18:35:03

ah! something else to consider.... i am only 5'4"

i love the dress too. so so so so pretty and lovely and feminine

princessmel Tue 23-Jun-09 18:35:07

will think

not with tink hmm

princessmel Tue 23-Jun-09 18:35:53

Second one nice too. Def leave the length.

Numberfour Tue 23-Jun-09 18:37:32

i agree, princessmel! and thanks for the vote of confidence, podrick!
perfectprefect, i do like the one you highlighted too, but am not THAT confident about my arms.

MagNacarta Tue 23-Jun-09 18:37:35

I wouldn't wear a jersey dress because it tends to cling, which is the last thing I want. I also think it is a bit too dressy.

Numberfour Tue 23-Jun-09 18:38:42

er.... should i get black or raspberry? i have black sparkly shoes i could wear with either, though i cannot stand in them for long!! and finances are v v v limited.

Numberfour Tue 23-Jun-09 18:39:35

decided to go black

notyummy Tue 23-Jun-09 18:40:15

Good 'hold you in' underwear essential to help you in feeling completely confident. Spanx or Trinny and Susannah do good ranges.

MrsEricBana Tue 23-Jun-09 18:41:31

I like it, and you could poss it with less dressy shoes rather than heels like sparkly flip flops to make it more casual, though that may not look right. Get it and try it!!

MaggieBeau Tue 23-Jun-09 18:43:34

I think it's lovely. I'd wear it to a party if I thought it was flattering. It's not tight, so I'd feel comfortable in it. Not over exposed or silly!

Numberfour Tue 23-Jun-09 18:45:15

good point, notyummy, and mrsericbana.

i am going to get it and see how it pans out.

MrsEricBana Tue 23-Jun-09 18:56:44

Ooh yes, magic knickers!!! I have an all in one thing from M&S that looks a bit like a swimsuit (i.e. not too surgical looking!) that works a treat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now